When do you take your meds?

Options
This week I decided to shift my med time. For the past 4 1/2 years I have take my Synthroid in the morning. The problem I had was that I would drink coffee too soon after taking my medicine. I've always felt like "crashing" from about 9-11 am, everyday….like clockwork. To combat that, I read several articles and comments about taking it at night. I've been taking it right before I dose off to sleep for the past 3 days and I don't know if it is having a placebo effect…or if this is the real deal. I feel like I have more energy during my "crash" times. Lets hope this means my levels are optimize. What about you? When do you take your meds???

Replies

• DCarney
    DCarney Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I started out with taking meds in the morning as well. When my meds were gradually increased, I started to have palpitations and felt "jittery". I talked to my Endo and she said suggested I start taking them at night before bed. It made a huge difference and I haven't experienced that since.
  • Grumpsandwich
    Grumpsandwich Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Ive always taken mine a half hour before breakfast only because im a creature of habit and If i break my routine i forget to take em (even though i been on them over 20 years heh)
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I take mine when I get off of work at 8am (I work midnight shift) but I've been considering taking it before I go to sleep, which would be around 3pm normally. Now that you've posted this, I might well try that!
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I used tot ake them in the morning but recently started taking them at night again. I used to do it this way for a long time and felt better this way. I take it in the morning if I forget to before bed, but prefer at night.
  • soupandlettuce
    soupandlettuce Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I think I will try taking at night too. I have also read that it's good to split the dose. Does anyone here do that?
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I think I will try taking at night too. I have also read that it's good to split the dose. Does anyone here do that?

The reasoning behind this is to balance out the T3 since it's the "available for immediate use" hormone. If you are taking NDT or compounded meds, you could try splitting the dose. If you are taking T4 only meds splitting the dose won't make much of a difference in my experience.

Personally, I just take the whole dose at once - I don't like having to cut pills up and it doesn't give me any added benefit (I've tried).
  • allergictodiets
    allergictodiets Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I wake up at 5:30 a.m., take my L-Thyroxine and go back to sleep. I eat my breakfast about 7:30. My brain fog has been less annoying in the last two months or so since I had started doing this. Previously I would take my meds right after waking up and eat my breakfast 30 mins later.
    Taking my meds at bedtime did not work for me because I tend to snack after dinner. My endo says it is doable but you have to take at least 3 hours break between your last meal and your meds.
  • VastBreak
    VastBreak Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I usually take mine at about 2-3am. I typically get up at night for a bathroom run and just take them while I'm up and head straight back to bed for a few hours. I noticed a difference in energy levels as wel, When I switched my timing. I hear coffee and tea have a huge impact of your meds functioning correctly!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Take Synthroid on an empty stomach (at least 2 hours after eating or drinking anything but water) with a full glass of water. Wait one hour before eating or drinking anything but water, and wait at least 3 more hours before taking any supplements (vitamins, minerals, or fiber).

Cytomel should not be taken within 4 hours of iron supplements (including multivitamins). Since it has a short half-life, my endocrinologist has me take it every 12 hours. So I take Synthoid & Cytomel when I wake, supplements after lunch, and more Cytomel in the evening.