Assalamu aleykum

Options
ks467
ks467 Posts: 21 Member
Dear sisters, lets introduce ourselves here. Where are you from? How long you have been on mfp? What are your goals? And what kind of steps are you taking to get there?

Im Kamilya, im from MD, USA. I have been struggling with weight pretty much all of my 29 years. Im a mother of two kids and tried all possible diets out there, with my last one buckwheat and kefir diet. I have lost a couple of lbs, but once got off, i put them rught back on plus some.
I have finally decided to get healthy and lose the extra lbs after having babies. Its been 8 weeks that im doing a fitness program and eating right and have lost 20lbs and 2 pants sizes. Alhamdulillah. Im still not done with the actual program yet, but already feel so much stronger and healthier.
Im very interested in healthy recipes, juicing and fitness now.
I still have at least 20-30lbs more to go and inshallah im also looking for some friends to do it together and motivate each other.

My weight loss journey is also captured through my personal instagram: #eatworkoutpray
If anyone interested, also add me on facebook: kamilya serefli

Replies

• mominaada3
    mominaada3 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Walaikum assalam,
    I am from India,have been on mfp since a couple of weeks.have some 30 pounds to lose...!Hope to lose em in 3 months insha Allah.(my brothers wedding u see!!)I have also struggled with my weight since my teens and after birth of my daughter just dont seem to get it off ,as I could do previously...!To top it all I have pcos which makes it more difficult...!
    But Masha Allah your progress seems very inspiring.I am presently doing fitness blender workouts and trying to lower my carbs.
    Would highly appreciate advice n guidance.What exactly worked out for you?Is insanity too tough?
  • azlifah95
    azlifah95 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Hi, My name is Azlifah and I'm from Singapore.
    I'm 19 this year and I started working out last year in Jan 2013 as a new years resolution thing. I can't remember when I joined MFP but it's around mid 2013.

I'm about 5''1, 155cm actually, and I started in January 2013. I was 169lbs (76kg) back then. It was my heaviest that I've ever been at and I had a pretty bad year. I lost my best friend, I didn't get into a school that I really wanted and my brother went to another country to serve the army. I'm very close with my brother so that hit me pretty hard. I didn't have a support system.
    My wake up call was when I saw this dress that I bought a few months ago and I swore to myself that one day, I'll be able to fit it in. I wanted to be fit and healthy subliminally to prove to myself that all hope is not lost. I wanted to feel happy again. All those people who put me down, I threw all my motivation in exercise. Watching the biggest loser helped too. LOL

Slowly but surely, with the help of Jillian Michael's 30 day shred and FitnessBlender, both highly recommended, I persevered. Instead of looking for results every day and beating myself over it, I calculated inches lost and weight loss every week. I compared to what I was able to do physically a week before to a week after and it helped tremendously. Getting fit is such a mental process. Look at the bright side of everything and you'll get fitter, I guarantee it.
    To the actual loss of weight, I am now currently 153lbs (69kg). I've lost a total of 16lbs (7kg) in the span of 11 months. It's a huge accomplishment for me seeing that what I could learn with getting fit, I got it on the internet and since I'm a full-time student and part-time worker, it's definitely was not easy.

My goal eventually is to be 60kg or 132 lb, insha'allah. Wish me luck. :)
  • hiba_84
    hiba_84 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am Hiba and I live in Qatar.
    I have been on MFP for nearly a year and a half. I was struggling to lose the baby weight for over 18 months. Most was gone but those last kg's were impossible. After joining MFP, i understood how wrong the choices i was making were and how they impacted my weight and why i could not shed that weight off.
    Around August 2013 I managed to reach my lowest weight ever. I was working out and eating right.
    Now I am almost 23 weeks pregnant and my goal is to stay within the healthy weight gain (compared to the 25 kgs/ around 55 lbs that i gained during my last pregnancy)

Once the baby is out, Insha Allah, I can't wait to go back to working out and losing the weight I gained during pregnancy.
  • hiba_84
    Options
    Good luck! You can certainly do it.
    My goal was 65 kg. My gym coach said it should actually be 62 kg, and i was like "Yeah right! I was never 62!" She told me to hope for the best.
    By the time I finished, i was 56!! A number I could never imagine reaching. Everything (clothes) looked great on me and it felt so good. (I was working out and was very committed about it so i looked pretty toned and athletic)

So though 60 might be your goal, only time will show you what your potential actually is :)
    I'm 19 this year and I started working out last year in Jan 2013 as a new years resolution thing. I can't remember when I joined MFP but it's around mid 2013.

I'm about 5''1, 155cm actually, and I started in January 2013. I was 169lbs (76kg) back then. It was my heaviest that I've ever been at and I had a pretty bad year. I lost my best friend, I didn't get into a school that I really wanted and my brother went to another country to serve the army. I'm very close with my brother so that hit me pretty hard. I didn't have a support system.
    My wake up call was when I saw this dress that I bought a few months ago and I swore to myself that one day, I'll be able to fit it in. I wanted to be fit and healthy subliminally to prove to myself that all hope is not lost. I wanted to feel happy again. All those people who put me down, I threw all my motivation in exercise. Watching the biggest loser helped too. LOL

Slowly but surely, with the help of Jillian Michael's 30 day shred and FitnessBlender, both highly recommended, I persevered. Instead of looking for results every day and beating myself over it, I calculated inches lost and weight loss every week. I compared to what I was able to do physically a week before to a week after and it helped tremendously. Getting fit is such a mental process. Look at the bright side of everything and you'll get fitter, I guarantee it.
    To the actual loss of weight, I am now currently 153lbs (69kg). I've lost a total of 16lbs (7kg) in the span of 11 months. It's a huge accomplishment for me seeing that what I could learn with getting fit, I got it on the internet and since I'm a full-time student and part-time worker, it's definitely was not easy.

• ks467
    ks467 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    mashallah sisters! you all are such an inspiration!

sister Heba, may Allah ease the last weeks of pregnancy for you and give a healthy child, steadfast on the straight path iA.

sister Azlifah, this is amazing girl!!!!! so proud of you! keep up the good work!

sister Mominaa, yes insanity is def intense, but it works for me, since Jillian is a little too slow for me and I wanted something up beat and lots of cardio. After Insanity, Jillian seemed like a walk in the park for me:)))))
  • PewterSky
    PewterSky Posts: 9,225 Member
    Options
    Aoa Ladies!

I'm from Pakistan and I'm 26 years old. I've been on mfp since a year or more now. I've been working on my health since march last year. Like many people, I too, have struggled with my weight ever since I can remember. It doesn't help that I have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. To be honest, because I got diagnosed with pco when I was 13, I found it very difficult to deal with it and became very bitter and negative in my outlook towards life. It's sad to admit that I didn't get much guidance and I felt pretty lost. But I'm older now, wiser, with a good knowledge of my condition.

At my heaviest I weighed about 255lbs, that's when I decided I need to do something for myself and turn my life around. Last year in June, they diagnosed me with Diabetes [type II] and it was an absolute nightmare for me. Usually women with pco are insulin resistant [which is a form of pre diabetes] but it really scared the hell out of me. I'm single and I have so much more to accomplish, honestly I started thinking about how I'd die during my 40's and never get to have a normal life. It was tough but I got out of that, I'm trying to be happier, make more friends. I've kept up my exercise and healthy eating and have managed to lose 39lbs so far. I'm down to 216lbs right now.

Given my build and frame, my ideal weight is somewhere in 60-70 [130-155lbs] and I will try my hardest to get as fit as I can. My goal is to get healthier, improve the quality of my life, get off the meds [my endo tells me there's a good chance my diabetes would go away if I lose the excess weight], have a great life, and hopefully inspire others.

Currently I work out 7 times a week, for an hour. I try to mix up my workout routine, I love zumba so I tend to blend it in with my aerobics. I am to start the 30 day shred soon.
  • mominaada3
    Options
    Aoa Ladies!

I'm from Pakistan and I'm 26 years old. I've been on mfp since a year or more now. I've been working on my health since march last year. Like many people, I too, have struggled with my weight ever since I can remember. It doesn't help that I have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. To be honest, because I got diagnosed with pco when I was 13, I found it very difficult to deal with it and became very bitter and negative in my outlook towards life. It's sad to admit that I didn't get much guidance and I felt pretty lost. But I'm older now, wiser, with a good knowledge of my condition.

At my heaviest I weighed about 255lbs, that's when I decided I need to do something for myself and turn my life around. Last year in June, they diagnosed me with Diabetes [type II] and it was an absolute nightmare for me. Usually women with pco are insulin resistant [which is a form of pre diabetes] but it really scared the hell out of me. I'm single and I have so much more to accomplish, honestly I started thinking about how I'd die during my 40's and never get to have a normal life. It was tough but I got out of that, I'm trying to be happier, make more friends. I've kept up my exercise and healthy eating and have managed to lose 39lbs so far. I'm down to 216lbs right now.

Given my build and frame, my ideal weight is somewhere in 60-70 [130-155lbs] and I will try my hardest to get as fit as I can. My goal is to get healthier, improve the quality of my life, get off the meds [my endo tells me there's a good chance my diabetes would go away if I lose the excess weight], have a great life, and hopefully inspire others.

Currently I work out 7 times a week, for an hour. I try to mix up my workout routine, I love zumba so I tend to blend it in with my aerobics. I am to start the 30 day shred soon.
    Assalamulaikum,
    My dear sister my heart goes out to you.Allah has rewarded you with great will power Alhumdulillah.Its quiet an acheivement that you have lost abt 39lbs with pcos.Please do not despair,it is just a small test from Allah.
    I myself have pcos since teenage,and have weight issues,especially after d birth of my sweet daughter I gained 30 lbs.And yes,its a herculean task to lose weight when you have pcos,but my driving force is "our bodies are amanah (trust)from Allah,and have been entrusted to us for a small time,to take good care of them".Whenever I excercise I say Allah I am doing this for you,please accept this ibadah from me and make it a source of Your mercy .
    You know when I got married i was very worried that I would not be able to conceive easily n all dat stuff...my gynae said ill have to take atleast 6 months of medication to expect ne results...i went back to her i n 15 days to tell her that I am pregnant,Alhumdulillah!I I request you to please do not excessively worry for your future,your diabetes etc Allah will take care of everythng Inshaa Allah.He has a plan for everythng n everyone,nd He is d best Planner.N He has d best plan for you my dear just wait n watch.Lots of loove n duas from my side.
  • PewterSky
    Options
    Thank you! I agree it's a herculean task indeed. It's so much easier to put on weight and a real butt busting to lose it all. I get my days where my motivation hits rock bottom or I get low moods and want to binge eat. Binge eating is my BIGGEST problem. We all know how we Asians like our foods and I say most of our foods are unhealthy, all that tarkas and masalas. Anyways, I make my own meals but sometimes it's difficult to ignore the aroma of the food the rest of my family eats and there are days when I slip. Sigh.

But I think it's much better when you have friends with similar goals and issues, you know you're not alone and some one else is controlling the same restraint, dealing with the same cravings as you and it helps to stay motivated.

I used to be very depressed about the fertility problems attached to PCOS but I'm better now. I know conceiving isn't a problem, a lot of women manage to do it even with PCOS.

I however am worried about the other problems it brings, namely skin issues and hair fall. I currently have about 1/3 of hair that I had before and cutting back on my diet , add to that the stressful life we have nowadays, I'm not doing my skin and hair much good. I try to get nutrients the natural way but being on a restricted calorie does not allow for much eating. I spoke to my doctor about this and have been taking vitamins [but it helps little]
  • hiba_84
    Options
    Thank you :)
    mashallah sisters! you all are such an inspiration!

sister Heba, may Allah ease the last weeks of pregnancy for you and give a healthy child, steadfast on the straight path iA.

sister Azlifah, this is amazing girl!!!!! so proud of you! keep up the good work!

sister Mominaa, yes insanity is def intense, but it works for me, since Jillian is a little too slow for me and I wanted something up beat and lots of cardio. After Insanity, Jillian seemed like a walk in the park for me:)))))
  • azlifah95
    Options
    Good luck! You can certainly do it.
    My goal was 65 kg. My gym coach said it should actually be 62 kg, and i was like "Yeah right! I was never 62!" She told me to hope for the best.
    By the time I finished, i was 56!! A number I could never imagine reaching. Everything (clothes) looked great on me and it felt so good. (I was working out and was very committed about it so i looked pretty toned and athletic)

So though 60 might be your goal, only time will show you what your potential actually is :)

Thank you sister! 60 kg might be my goal weight but if I'm lower and healthy, then Alhamdulillah. :)
    Good luck to all you ladies too! We can do this! :D
  • azlifah95
    Options
    Aoa Ladies!

My mum always tells me Allah gives hardship to his most beloved. This life is but a test and I'm sure you'll succeed in this journey. You have your whole life ahead of you and I'm very happy to see that instead of moping around, you are actually doing things to be a better and healthier you. There's nothing better than to feel confident in your body.
    Good luck with the 30 day shred! I loved level 3 the best and the level 2 the least. I did it and it was tough for my beginner self at first but with Jillian's encouragement throughout the whole video, it was a lot easier. :)
  • mominaada3
    Options
    Thank you! I agree it's a herculean task indeed. It's so much easier to put on weight and a real butt busting to lose it all. I get my days where my motivation hits rock bottom or I get low moods and want to binge eat. Binge eating is my BIGGEST problem. We all know how we Asians like our foods and I say most of our foods are unhealthy, all that tarkas and masalas. Anyways, I make my own meals but sometimes it's difficult to ignore the aroma of the food the rest of my family eats and there are days when I slip. Sigh.

But I think it's much better when you have friends with similar goals and issues, you know you're not alone and some one else is controlling the same restraint, dealing with the same cravings as you and it helps to stay motivated.

I used to be very depressed about the fertility problems attached to PCOS but I'm better now. I know conceiving isn't a problem, a lot of women manage to do it even with PCOS.

I however am worried about the other problems it brings, namely skin issues and hair fall. I currently have about 1/3 of hair that I had before and cutting back on my diet , add to that the stressful life we have nowadays, I'm not doing my skin and hair much good. I try to get nutrients the natural way but being on a restricted calorie does not allow for much eating. I spoke to my doctor about this and have been taking vitamins [but it helps little]
    Yeah....we do hv to walk a tightrope when it comes to nutrition and restricting your calories...!
    What precisely are your skins issues?
    If you have pigmentation/uneven skin tone,you can opt for kama kumkumadi thailam,or vit c serum (home made or available in market)
    For acne u might find dis site very helpful:www.acnemantra.com
    www.ethicare.in has some remarkable medicated economical products for skin issues.
    For advanced treatment u can opt for at home peel kits.
    For hair are you taking folic acid nd iron?Have you got your deficiencies checked?
  • PewterSky
    Options
    My mum always tells me Allah gives hardship to his most beloved. This life is but a test and I'm sure you'll succeed in this journey. You have your whole life ahead of you and I'm very happy to see that instead of moping around, you are actually doing things to be a better and healthier you. There's nothing better than to feel confident in your body.
    Good luck with the 30 day shred! I loved level 3 the best and the level 2 the least. I did it and it was tough for my beginner self at first but with Jillian's encouragement throughout the whole video, it was a lot easier. :)

Thank you so much! I have to admit I'm enjoying having a discussion with you girls here. I haven't been that active in posting. I am the most unhealthy person to be honest. I am still on day 2 of level one and I absolutely can't do the push ups -.- It's so annoying but I'm working on building my upper arm strength [upper body mainly]
    Yeah....we do hv to walk a tightrope when it comes to nutrition and restricting your calories...!
    What precisely are your skins issues?
    If you have pigmentation/uneven skin tone,you can opt for kama kumkumadi thailam,or vit c serum (home made or available in market)
    For acne u might find dis site very helpful:www.acnemantra.com
    www.ethicare.in has some remarkable medicated economical products for skin issues.
    For advanced treatment u can opt for at home peel kits.
    For hair are you taking folic acid nd iron?Have you got your deficiencies checked?

My skin issues are mainly dryness and a lot of dandruff and hair fall. It gets worse in winters, naturally. The constant dandruff makes my hair dull, life less and weak. Thankfully I do not have acne, never did but what I had was flawless, spotless skin. It's no longer the case, my facial skin has become uneven, there's bumps and tiny irritated patches [at times due to the dryness] I am keeping it at bay right now, using a special cream my dermatologist recommended. I also have uneven skin tone and I'm going to check out the links you've posted. Thanks a bunch!

Hair fall is what worries me the most. I an literally see bald patches on my head now and I've been taking folic acid/iron since 5 months now. I do have iron deficiency and I was very deficient on Vit D, haven't gotten other things checked. I'm due for some lab work next month and I'll be getting some more done.
  • Naml2013
    Naml2013 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    As salaamu alaikum, I'm new to the group and look forward to meeting you all and getting healthy. It's going to be a long journey for me but insha Allah I will be able to reach my goals. Please visit my blog when you can and offer encouragement. Salaams :)

Namla
  • hadiyaummamina1
    hadiyaummamina1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Walakium salam, Im Hadiya 42 mother of Amina 11 yrs, Im from NY and live in Algeria, Ive been loosing ten gaining ten for too long, Im dieting three days and going good so, I am ready to committ In shaa Allah ameen to getting this 20 lbs off me :), No more stopping :) Would like to be friends and inspire each other to keep going :)
  • alasiL
    alasiL Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Asalam alaykom

My name is loujane im 18 (this august) I joined MFP in December but only started using it properly in the last 2 months. I live in the UK but originally im Libyan. Its great that there's a group for Muslim females, usually I feel left out over here as the muslim hijabi girls don't usually go to the gym or go jogging I think at one stage I was probably the first hijabi to go to my local gym. I really want to lose the weight before I start university this year, and im sure this group will be great for motivation and advice, feel free to add me :)
  • Jenni4w
    Jenni4w Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Assalaamu alaikom! From USA here!