Question about supporting your local running store

Options
DonPendergraft
DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
TL&DR: why do running stores in regard to shoe returns still have such an old school return policy?

I believe in supporting my local running store. Sometimes I can't because the product I specifically want isn't carried by them. But if they do carry it, I try to buy from them even if it may cost a bit more. But when considering a new shoe, I have a hard time buying from any of our local stores. I'm thinking of going with the zero drop Altra Olympus versus the Hoka Mafate which I think is about a 4mm drop. It's an open question as to whether I will take to the zero drop. Maybe I can, but maybe not. If I buy from Runningwarehouse.com (or Roadrunner) I can try them out on the trails and put some miles on them for a couple of weeks (or more) and if they don't work for me simply exchange them for the Hoka's. But the running stores are so old school. Keep your receipt and make sure you return them in unworn condition. Yeah right. Are stores not able to enter into the same kind of arrangements with their vendors some of the online retailers do? I'm curious. As it is, the best I can do in a situation like this is to buy online. If I find a shoe that I love, I can go back and buy replacements from the local store. But all new shoe decisions will have to be online. OK rant over.

Replies

• UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    My local running stores let me return shoes worn in if I don't like them within a reasonable amount of time.
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I have returned a pair of running shoes to my local running store after 2 weeks. I did not have my receipt and the lady even remembered me.

When I walked out with the other pair she told me, "If those don't work, bring them back."
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    My running store (Breakaway) here in Memphis has an awesome return policy. You can use the shoes and return them up to 30 days after purchase...and it doesn't matter if they are caked in mud or whatever. Now...you only get store credit if they are in used condition, because then they end up having to send them off to donation since they can't resell used shoes, but you can return them.

And my store keeps a profile of your shoe history on their computers, so if you lose your receipt it isn't a big problem. And they have weekly beer runs!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    My local store has a 90 day return policy. They don't lose on returns. All the major manufacturers let the stores return to them.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    My local store takes shoes back used up to 30 days later with receipt.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Usually 2-3 times a month my local store will have vendors in with new shoes for us to try, takes a lot of the mystery out of what I will go with next.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    My store seems to have the major makers in once every couple of months to demo their shoes. Unfortunately, mine does the "no outside running" caveat to their returns, but I've returned two pairs after I wiped the bottoms (they didn't even look at them). Funny thing though is that they let me run outside with them, and I actually put 2mi on my Wave Riders before settling on them. They're really just making judgment calls on if you're "showrooming" them, and I think we can all agree that it's a d*** move.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Local running store - I wish. We have one local bike store but I refuse to patronize them. Which is a shame because I would really like to support local businesses.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    My local running store (RunOn) allows for a 30 day return policy. I put just over 50 miles on some ASICS when they started to blister up my feet pretty bad. They took them back and refunded my money.
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    My local store has a 90 day return policy. They don't lose on returns. All the major manufacturers let the stores return to them.

Here too. Lucky that way I guess...
  • DonPendergraft
    Options
    Wow, I'm kind of shocked. It seems that our locals stores have policies that aren't as progressive as most. Those of you with those great stores, keep patronizing them, they are doing it right!
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Cyprian, my local store has the same policy as your store. Fortunately, my Altra Instinct 1.5s worked great because I took them on a 20-mile mud run the day I bought them and there was no way to make them look new again!

I bought two replacements online because I couldn't beat the price, but I try and buy other things at the running store, too: hydration gear, jacket, socks, etc. Actually, the salesman suggested I look in REI for some wool running socks!
  • SillyC2
    SillyC2 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Our local running store won't even let us run in the shoes outside, and has no treadmill to try them out! I mean, I understand if it's snowy and gross.... but I asked about it and they were all, "Who would buy a shoe that has a bit of road dirt on it from another customer"? Ah, ahem, ALL OF US?

So, yeah, I've been shopping online. I TRY to take a new shoe out on a dry day and return it with only a mile or so on it, so that they can resell it.
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    My local store says they have no problem taking back a pair. I've never had to so I don't know the statute of limitations on a return, but if I did need to bring a pair back, I would make sure it was within a few days/runs.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    My store allows 30 days, but requires them to be returned in like new condition. They typically only take them back if you've only been on a treadmill with them.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    TL&DR: why do running stores in regard to shoe returns still have such an old school return policy?

I believe in supporting my local running store. Sometimes I can't because the product I specifically want isn't carried by them. But if they do carry it, I try to buy from them even if it may cost a bit more. But when considering a new shoe, I have a hard time buying from any of our local stores. I'm thinking of going with the zero drop Altra Olympus versus the Hoka Mafate which I think is about a 4mm drop. It's an open question as to whether I will take to the zero drop. Maybe I can, but maybe not. If I buy from Runningwarehouse.com (or Roadrunner) I can try them out on the trails and put some miles on them for a couple of weeks (or more) and if they don't work for me simply exchange them for the Hoka's. But the running stores are so old school. Keep your receipt and make sure you return them in unworn condition. Yeah right. Are stores not able to enter into the same kind of arrangements with their vendors some of the online retailers do? I'm curious. As it is, the best I can do in a situation like this is to buy online. If I find a shoe that I love, I can go back and buy replacements from the local store. But all new shoe decisions will have to be online. OK rant over.

I'm a big believer in feedback, positive and negative. There's no way a company can change unless it hears from its customers.

Let them know that they're losing your business because of their policy and see if they will change it.
  • DonPendergraft
    Options
    I'm a big believer in feedback, positive and negative. There's no way a company can change unless it hears from its customers.

Let them know that they're losing your business because of their policy and see if they will change it.

That's a great point. I will be sure to do that. They might not like it, but knowledge is power. I know that if I were the owner, I would want to know why people buy from me, and why they do not.
  • saskie78
    saskie78 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Ditto what everyone else said. Mine lets us return them. Also, it would make sense I think to get them online and then just do your local duty by buying your replacement pairs there.
  • graceire
    graceire Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    My running store (Breakaway) here in Memphis has an awesome return policy. You can use the shoes and return them up to 30 days after purchase...and it doesn't matter if they are caked in mud or whatever. Now...you only get store credit if they are in used condition, because then they end up having to send them off to donation since they can't resell used shoes, but you can return them.

And my store keeps a profile of your shoe history on their computers, so if you lose your receipt it isn't a big problem. And they have weekly beer runs!

I believe that FleetFeet in Memphis has the same policy--that's where I had my first stride evaluation done and discovered the wonders of Saucony...

Also, I ran that race, too, that you have in your pic! I PR'd but I'm really slow so I'm not gonna actually say my time...:tongue:
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options

Ditto this. I love supporting my local running store, but also only if it makes sense as a consumer. Can't stay in the stone age forever. They need to wise up.