Just had my sleeve...is this normal!?!

Options
Hey all..just had my sleeve on April 15th and this post op week has me reeling..I'm cold alot, can't eat (of course) but when I'm making tacos for the family I want to eat them all!! Which is normal I guess because I'm not hungry, I just like to eat! So I feel trapped, I'm not hungry but I want to eat!! All the time!!! Did anyone go thru this? Does it go away? My weight loss so far has been 17 lbs in one week which is insane..also family is finding out and Im getting the calls..any suggestion on how to handle the negativity?

Replies

• JreedyJanelle
    JreedyJanelle Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    They told me to expect to be cold, your body will eventually regulate. I had my surgery April 17.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Yes, the cold is pretty common. I wear a sweater constantly now. I get chilled very easily without 80lbs extra of insulating fat. I suffered from head hunger as well after surgery. In the 6 months prior to surgery I went to support meetings and extensive meetings with my surgeon, nutritionist, and psychologist where they explained that weight loss surgery does nothing for food addiction, so I was prepared to a certain extent. I just accepted the process that I would have to go thru to break old habits. Mentally you get into a pattern of eating certain foods at certain times and in certain locations. When the cravings would strike I would just say to myself "Why are you thinking about food? You aren't even hungry". I just focused on my protein and drinking. I will not lie, it took a lot of prayer that 1 st 6 wks. The more I stayed away from my trigger foods of wheat, rice and potato the easier it became. My new food obsession became fitting in 8g of protein with every 100 calories consumed. I tested recipe after recipe. At 5 months out I have all new eating habits. I don't really have to think much about it- and in reality I spend more time thinking about clothes, shoes and other stuff now. Turns out as long as I avoid my trigger foods I don't think about food that much at all. I really recommend you go to a support group meeting. I just got back from mine tonight. They really understand what you are going thru. In terms of dealing with negativity, at 44 I'm not going to justify any decision for my health with anyone but God, my husband and my physician. Relative or not, toxic personalities are best ignored. If you can't change the subject and they won't take the hint you can say " I appreciate that you have an opinion about my health, BUT I didn't ask for your opinion. I am an adult and my health decisions are none of your concern".
  • juliebccs
    juliebccs Posts: 233
    Options
    I don't feel the cold any differently. But I remember the struggle of sort of feeling hungry at first,,,but it was more the stomach acid triggering my mind into thinking I was hungry. I wasn't of course but I struggled with the sensation. That definitely has changed. I feel hungry when I am now. But I have learned that half a banana will sort that if I am out and about,,pop into fruits shop or supermarket,,grab a banana. Sorted.
    Negativity? This is a hard one. I was a bit hesitant to tell people at first, a bit embarrassed I guess. Before the surgery I didn't realise how much I would have to still make conscious choices (easier but still choices). So I thought maybe I was taking the easy way out and didn't share with anyone but close family. I don't announce it to everyone now but if I am speaking to someone and weight loss comes up I explain it to them. I have not copped any negative reactions. I think most people just feel, hey if you get healthy then great. Just explain to them that it is a tool only and you still have a lot of work to do. People use diet supplements all the time to help them lose weight,,this is just a permanent option. And when you look and feel a million dollars,,who cares what they think. I was so happy to go shopping with my daughter last week and getting to buy a few sizes smaller. Negative folk versus healthier and smaller you. My sons girlfriend commented that I looked like small person suddenly. I am still 237lb's but they are starting to notice. :-)
    My school friend took his own life because he suffered from weight issues his whole life. I just wish this had been an option for him decades ago when he was suffering so much. Not everyone gets to do this in Australia. It costs a lot of money which is why I opted for overseas. But I see people struggling everyday and wish this option was available to them. I think myself so very very privileged to have had this opportunity when others can't.
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Yes, the cold is normal. Particularly as you're losing weight rapidly, at least for me. I'm 6 months out and kept bumping the thermostat 2-4 degrees all winter. Even now, when many of my friends have already turned on their A/C, I'm perfectly comfortable in my house. The other day went to the winery and was sitting outside in the sun with a normal-weight friend who kept complaining of being hot when I was perfectly comfortable. There IS an upside, I guess! As far as dealing with negativity, I haven't had a lot of experience with it, but when someone feels they need to judge me and my decision, if I care about their opinion, I attempt to educate them. Usually something like My Dr. and I did not come to this decision lightly. WE believe it is the best thing for MY health and I'm already feeling fantastic. That's usually enough to re-direct them.
  • naturehappy
    Options
    Thank you all!! I appreciate the insight, I am going to start attending group meetings, but since its only been a week I haven't felt like doing all that much. I love the comment about not caring what others think when it comes to my choices about my health. I get a lot of...you didn't need it. I was 237 when I had the surgery, but they didn't have to walk in my shoes, feel the tiredness and depression, I did. I talked to my doctor today about the head hunger, which is exactly what it is..head hunger. I need a new drug!! lol. I'm focusing on walking and when I get the head hunger I'm reminding myself that no..you're not hungry, your bored or stressed or whatever. It didn't help that we had family visit so meals were a big deal and I found myself cooking for 15 people all weekend. Can't wait to enjoy this journey though, and thanks for the kind words and suggestions!!
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I spent the first few months constantly cold. Fortunately I live in CA so I survived lol. As far as negativity, I didn't have to deal with much. Some of my family members were "concerned". I was 382 lbs when I started the process towards having surgery, that might have been the time to show concern!! Like others here, I try to explain the facts about why it was the best decision for me. It's hard for people who haven't walked in our shoes to wrap their heads around this whole process. Once people saw that I was healthy and happy and doing very well, they relaxed! Seeing is believing I guess! That said, I didn't feel like I needed anyone's approval to take control of my health. I am the ONLY one who can.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I am always cold, but then, as my sugeon said, I've lost a 160 pound blanket, so it's normal. I hear that for some people it regulates, but I haven't found that to be the case. As for the "want to eat" we call that head hunger. And yes, we all have that. I am almost 3 years out and I still find myself wanting to eat sometime, I'm not actually hungry, in fact, I can honestly say that I rarely get actual hunger, but I still sometimes just want to eat. The big change for me in this hunger thing is that pre-surgery, if I was upset, angry, depressed, stressed (name whatever emotion you want here) I would eat and eat a lot. Post surgery, if I get upset, angry, depressed, etc. I no longer want to eat. In fact if my attitude is really bad, I just don't care about the sleeve or the surgery or what my needs are, I won't eat. Total reversal thank God!

It's early days for you yet. The cold may change and if you take the suggestions someone else said on here and go to the support groups, you can get a handle on the "head hunger". Our food addictions don't go away, but the tool we have in the sleeve allows us to manage it a little easier. Yes you can still out eat the sleeve and regain, but if you make your change lifetime changes, you will lose it and keep it off.

Good luck!
  • sue100194
    sue100194 Posts: 129
    Options
    I'm cold a lot of the time now. Except when the hot flashes kick in. Where the heck have they been for the last few years? Now suddenly they are back? Sheesh. As for negativity, they are just showing concern. I'd thank them for that concern and assure them it was an informed decision and move on to the next subject :)
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Thank you all!! I appreciate the insight, I am going to start attending group meetings, but since its only been a week I haven't felt like doing all that much. I love the comment about not caring what others think when it comes to my choices about my health. I get a lot of...you didn't need it. I was 237 when I had the surgery, but they didn't have to walk in my shoes, feel the tiredness and depression, I did. I talked to my doctor today about the head hunger, which is exactly what it is..head hunger. I need a new drug!! lol. I'm focusing on walking and when I get the head hunger I'm reminding myself that no..you're not hungry, your bored or stressed or whatever. It didn't help that we had family visit so meals were a big deal and I found myself cooking for 15 people all weekend. Can't wait to enjoy this journey though, and thanks for the kind words and suggestions!!

I used to be very involved with the meals for big family gatherings ( I am 1 of 6 kids)but now we have all agreed that when we assemble all of the food duties are split up. Even for family coming from out of town. They can buy the groceries and prep it when they arrive or make arrangements for to go family size dishes. My sister in law loves her carbs so that's what she brings. My brother loves to smoke meats or fry turkeys so he handles that. My mom makes healthy deserts. I usually stock the cheese, fruit and crudités. Another brother loves casseroles, so he makes 3. We usually get a tub of Greek salad and 2 trays of Moussaka from a local restaurant. Another brother brings beer, chips and salsa. We eat off paper plates and paper cups which we put in the huge bonfire we always build. This way everyone shares the work and everyone has fun. My dad brings the wine. No one is stressed and I don't end up making food that is not in my lifestyle anymore.
  • platinum3karat
    platinum3karat Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm the very opposite. I constantly have hot flashes it could be because I had a hysterectomy in 2010 but I'm not even 40 yet so I can't phathom hot flashes before 40. I've learned that weight loss is a Journey and you definitely have to be prepared and put forth the effort. I've lost 35 pounds since April 1st and it feels great. I am always thinking about food but I am more self conscious about my choices.

As far as explaining your choice to have surgery is up to you. All that should matter is you are losing and working towards being healthy.

Hope everything turns out well.
  • tgbtg150
    tgbtg150 Posts: 9
    Options
    I am only 5 days out from surgery and I am cold all the time too. I keep taking my temperature thinking I must have a fever :) Thanks so much for bringing it to light...Now I'll just throw on a sweater. I will tell you how I addressed letting those who are important in my life know about my sleeve surgery. Ten days before surgery (the day I started my liquid diet) I made a custom post on facebook only to those people who I felt needed to know and/or would be hurt to find out after the fact. I just threw it out there and let them know of MY decision and that it was based on a lot of prayer, discussion with my husband and research. I invited them to find out more about the procedure if they had questions and I also thanked them for their love, support and prayers during this life changing time. It as worked out great because I really didn't give anyone permission to give me their opinion but also let them know that they are very important in my life and because I love them I wanted them to know. For me throwing it out there was easier. I know it technically isn't everyone's business but for me I would rather have them know now instead of explaining (or lying) about all the changes I will be under going later.

From one newbie to another - we got this!
  • plmelquist
    Options
    My surgery is tomorrow! Woo hoo! I have struggled with who to tell. My husband and I made the decision together so he's been involved the whole time. I told my boss a few months ago because I needed the time off and didn't want to take vacation time. I haven't told anyone else until today. I told my best friend and my closest co-worker. I will let my sister and everyone know tomorrow after the surgery is over. I feared judgement from co-workers - I am a respiratory therapist and work in a hospital and thought they'd try to talk me out of it. I could be totally wrong. I'll need their support going forward as I'll need weekly afternoons off for my support group meetings.

As for feeling cold - I look forward to that, lol. I'm in pre-menopause and have been "enjoying" the hot flashes that come with it. Plus I live in New Mexico where our summers get very hot so a false sense of chilly is ok with me!!
  • klh193
    klh193 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Head Hunger.... an evil thing. My surgery was Feb. 27 and I still battle with that. It is somewhat depressing to me knowing that I cant eat all that good food. I like food, but I have to remind myself that is what got me where I am. Eating, just to be eating. I have to look ahead and the payoff that is coming. Good luck with your journey, friend request me if you would like.
  • rclement66
    Options
    Im still in my preop stage with 2 dietician appt left then surg. I guess one of my biggest concerns is head hunger. I mean I have that now and I try to control it. My diet right now is poor, I only eat 1 meal a day, I can admit I binge eat at times which has gotten me to the weight i am today and I know when I have this done I will need to get all my proteins and calories in.
    Im a little nervous to start this new chapter in my life, but it's time for a change, If I don't go forward with it now, then I won't get another chance. Can ya'll recommend any protein drinks/shakes? Vitamins?
  • naturehappy
    Options
    Im finding some days the head hunger is a bit stronger than other days...then I have to ask myself, am I bored? am I sad, whats going on..then I take a long shower, because you cant eat in the shower!! Or a walk, Walking is making me really tired right now, so I am going to make it 3 15 minute walks a day to see if that helps. I somehow thought this would be easier, but everybody is right, its just a tool. I still have to do the hard work. Once I accepted that, its getting easier.