Foods you miss

Options
CHC94
CHC94 Posts: 55 Member
I'm one month past surgery, and I have foods that I see at the supermarket that used to be staples in my cart. I miss them and wonder when some of them will make it back in smaller amounts.

Mine are:
pretzels
apples
salad (lettuce, baby carrots, radishes, olives, bell peppers, chicken breast)
rice & pasta
chicken
salmon
pita chips & hummus
potato salad (I make mine w/o mayo)

Does anyone else have food that they miss eating?

Replies

• rubisliprz
    rubisliprz Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    You should be able to add hummus back soon!
  • Holly_penguin
    Holly_penguin Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    and salad and apples and everything else.

I have been very luck and have no foods I can't eat (1 year from surgery). I was eating salad, chewed well, withing 6 weeks from surgery. I was eating hummus as soon as i could do pureed. There are no foods you can't eat with bypass, just foods you need to eat in moderation.

Good luck.
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I can eat pretty much anything now... except whole grain rice and pears. Must be that they are too fiberous. Odd :ohwell:
  • CHC94
    Options
    Monday, I stopped at the supermarket on the way home and bought ground turkey. I don't like the texture of beef anymore; it's changed since I was a kid. I also found these cute little one-serving cups of brown rice.

A dash of kosher salt, pepper and 2 tsp. of "good dijion mustard" a la "Barefoot Contessa" and I was makin' sliders.

I'm now a big fan of ground turkey.

Yesterday, I found I can eat pretzels.... baby style. Gnaw on them till they're soft, then chew and chew and chew.
  • CHC94
    Options
    Trying to eat - and seeing what co-workers bring to work for lunch - is a bit frustrating. Sandwiches just look so good, yet I can't stand the texture of bread.

I have been going for walks at lunch, just so I can get out and away from people and their food. A co-worker had wonton soup today and it looked so good... but I'm sure that soup had way more fat than what I needed to deal with. So I declined her offer to share with me.

I've been having a good attitude about food so far, I think. Sticking with what I have known for the past month is getting boring, however and I need to break out and try new things.

But I don't want to hurt the pouch.
  • noelbugley
    noelbugley Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Try wheat wraps, I have one with grilled chicken, buffalo sauce, lettuce & a little blue cheese dressing about 1-2 times a week. Other days I have home made turkey chili or soups made with chicken, beans & veggies! Dinner is usually seafood (fish, lobster, scallops) or ground turkey "tacos" in wheat wraps. Good luck!!
  • Pinkielee81
    Pinkielee81 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    pizza! i miss it so much!
  • CHC94
    Options
    I went from missing foods to missing LIQUIDS...

Quick version of the last part of 2013:

August 5th - surgery
    September 18th - my sister-in-law passed away suddenly. She and I both fought with our weight and she had had lap-band surgery a few years ago. She was my guide while I was researching surgery options.
    October 6th - in the hospital for constant vomiting... went home October 10th, only to return the next day and stay for about a week.

Verdict - 2 ulcers. Medication and diet changes to heal ulcer. Home I go...

November 10th - back to the hospital - can't keep water down, vomiting constantly. Motion made me sick. New endoscopy showed the ulcers had healed, and the undissolved suture that was causing the problems. PICC line installed, suture removed via endoscopy.

Thanksgiving was a thankful holiday - first day back to solid food.

Back to work in the beginning of December...

Surgeon visit in the beginning of April - 226 lbs. Down 109 from when I started this adventure.

And I can eat what I want, EXCEPT rice, pasta, and very spicy foods.
  • csmccord
    csmccord Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Just a disclaimer, I'm 20 months post RNY and can eat just about anything now. I just choose not to eat bread, rice or pasta as a general rule. I haven't touched rice or pasta at all since surgery. I'll have a sandwich maybe, maybe once a week, and pizza crust about once a month or so.

Why don't I miss these, because I think I've found good substitutes for them.

Say pasta is your poison. It is one of mine. I used to eat that stuff 3, maybe 4 days a week. Now, I made zoodles instead. Get yourself a spiral slicer, or julienne gadget or mandoline and go to town on zucchini. I just do the outside, I don't go into the seeds. I then saute it in a bit of olive oil, the will typically have sauce and meatballs over it. It works well in place of lo-mein as well.

On the other hand, say rice is your poison. It used to be one of mine as well. So, now I sub quinoa for it. I've made quinoa fried rice. It has the same texture, and tastes EXACTLY the same as take-out fried rice. We use it in soups and casseroles as well.

Lastly, pizza. THIS was my trigger food. Used to have it once a week. When I lived on my own, I'd order a side, and two large pizzas, and only get about 2 or three meals out of it. I loved pizza, and it loved my belly. This one I found the hardest to get rid, and to be honest I haven't stuck to it. I still have delivery pizza, however it's always the thin-crust version. But I didn't start eating full pizza until about a year after surgery. Up to that point, I made tortilla or flat-out pizzas. Stick your "crust" in the over at 350 for about 5 minutes to crisp it up some. Then take it out and slather it with your favorite toppings. I use sauce, turkey pepperoni, turkey sausage, onions, peppers, and mushrooms typically. Oh, and of course cheese. Then stick it back in for at least 5 mintutes, just don't go too long. It will get soggy if you let it go too long.

Have you tried any of these options in place of the rice or pasta? I've found them a pretty good sub. Also, glad to see you are doing better. Did they say what caused the ulcers? I was so afraid of causing issues that I didn't deviate from my diet for the first 6 months.
  • CHC94
    Options
    The ulcers were caused by the undissolved suture. Surpisingly, when the surgeon looked at the photos, it was just as if it had been put in yesterday. The thing had been in there from August to November, and it didn't cause an infection. My SIL was looking out for me.

At 8 months out, I can eat pretty much anything. I still stay away from rice & pasta. I had a 1/2 slice of margarita pizza and while it was good, I don't see myself making it a staple. But pre-surgery, pizza used to tear my stomach to pieces. The grease was not my friend.

I haven't tried quinoa. I have a big love for tabouleh.
  • ginthebombshellks
    Options
    Good morning! I am one month post op and I have found I can't eat meat of any kind or bread if any kind. But I can enjoy most veggies easily and Thai food is a great choice for eatting out. You can get anything on the menu meat free. Also Mexican food is easy to make meat free. Chipotle and Hy-Vee restaurant have a huge selection of gastric bypass friendly foods.
  • ginthebombshellks
    Options
    pizza! i miss it so much!

Have you tried thin crust? There's a local Mom and Pop pizza joint near me that make their crusts in house and they have not been hard to est. But then I am a topping girl myself. If you are in the Kansas city, Kansas area look up Papa Keno's pizza.
  • payntr
    payntr Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am only 2 weeks after RNY but I miss pizza sooo much. Every commercial is about pizza. grrrr