Prioritizing yourself?

Options
How are you ladies doing? Getting any better? I'm starting to realize that I matter, too. In fact, I've now seen that making time for my exercise time as actually given me more energy allowed me to be more present during time with my family. I now run and jump and dance with them, whereas before I either watched or searched for a more fit adult to do the physical things with them. I actually can't wait for next summer when I brave the beach in a swimming costume. (Something I haven't done in years.)

But while I'm learning that I need to attend to my needs, they're still last on the priority list. My list is as follows: The school-going child, the toddler, the over-grown toddler (husband), and then me. I'm still struggling to put me first.

How about you?

Replies

• 2jayjaysmom
    2jayjaysmom Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I have the same struggle and just like you I'm working on it....
  • lmhbuss
    lmhbuss Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to treat working out like any other maintenance activity (bathing, brushing teeth etc). It's not selfish, no more so than going to the doctor when you are sick or handing your SO the kids when you need to grab a shower. It's basic self care, it's NOT a luxury. Now, the 30min-1 hour I spend watching TV while I do cardio...yeah, that part's a little bit of a luxury. :)
  • lad323
    lad323 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    It is always a struggle for me too. I don’t know if anyone really has the family/work/social/self balancing act down pact. Even if I find something that works one week it might not work the next.
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    So hard! Sometimes I feel like I make my fitness too high a priority (I lift for an hour 3-4 days a week) and have to plan very carefully to make sure my kids are occupied with something other than tv while I do it. Some days I get my workout in but the laundry is still in piles. I've been really overwhelmed trying to figure out how to fit all the things on my to-do list into one 16 hour day. I'm really hoping that this summer we'll be able to reinforce non-school routines so that when we get back to school things will have a better flow around here.
  • ProjectYummyMummy
    ProjectYummyMummy Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to treat working out like any other maintenance activity (bathing, brushing teeth etc). It's not selfish, no more so than going to the doctor when you are sick or handing your SO the kids when you need to grab a shower. It's basic self care, it's NOT a luxury. Now, the 30min-1 hour I spend watching TV while I do cardio...yeah, that part's a little bit of a luxury. :)

I love this. Treating working out like brushing my teeth. That's a fantastic idea. Let's see if I can make that work.