Check your Attitude

Options
julieworley376
julieworley376 Posts: 444 Member
So what is your attitude to your current weight loss and fitness program? Like me you have probably done it over more times than you can count. Or this is your first or second try.

Are you determined?

Are you going to get to goal and NOTHING is going to stop you?

Do you look at getting to goal just something you are working towards but it WILL happen.

I am a firm believer that you have more chance of succeeding no matter how many times you have done this if certain words are eliminated from your verbal and mental vocabulary. Words and phrases like: I am trying, try, maybe, if I succeed, if, I am sure you can think of more.

Check YOUR attitude, what is it?

Replies

• lindabeth333
    lindabeth333 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Hi Julie - First I want to say thank you for organizing the group and for being such a great, involved, smart moderator!

I like this post - I do say "I am trying….I want to lose weight… I want to be healthier…….but trying is different than DOING. You are correct - words have power.
  • KarenZen
    KarenZen Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Good topic, Julie!

I've done this too many times to count, but my attitude this time around is very different, very relaxed. In the last three years of therapy and eating disorder treatment, I've been learning to let go of the idea of PERFECT. I will not beat myself up over this. My shrink has to remind me often that my obesity is the result of a serious disease, not the result of laziness, lack of willpower, Or any other negative labels I used to use.

The big difference in this time around, for me, is using new tools like nexercise to track my workouts, using MFP to track food and get support from others, using a nutritionist and therapist and limiting my weigh-ins to doctor visits so I don't freak out, LOL.

Basically, this is my first time working with a team and a lot of good tools. And not looking at this as a diet but rather making it a lifestyle I can live with. I am EXCITED to have this kind of plan and support. I am also IMPATIENT because I want to see huge, immediate results!!! So my next team member is a former student of mine who is exchanging yoga lessons for poetry critiques. I'm going to learn more physical flexibility and mental calmness. Wooohoooo!
  • michelleneli
    michelleneli Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I am either DOING THIS or dying. And I'm not ready to die!!:grumble: :angry:
  • julieworley376
    Options
    :laugh: :flowerforyou:
  • julieworley376
    Options
    lindabeth thank you! I did a search and didn't see anything for our category and I am just using stuff I have learned over the years to provoke thought, encourage learning and try and rally the troops! I would love more input from the members but perhaps given time they won't be so shy and join in!
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I put off doing something about my weight as it climbed back up over 300 for years because I feared failing. My history is diet, lose weight, stop diet, weight comes back. To be honest I didn't want to start again because I felt I was doomed to fail.

The big difference this time was that I was put on insulin for my T2 diabetes. I really didn't want that. My doctor also suggested revision bariatric surgery. Also not something I wanted. After talking with her, she recommended MFP.

My first immediate goal was to get off the insulin. By the time I did that in the beginning of March I'd lost over 60 lbs. I'd had success and felt like MFP gave me the tools to be in control of this process. I also feel like MFP is giving me the tools and skills to maintain after I reach my goal.

One of the biggest differences this time from any other time I've tried to lose weight is that I have included exercise in my routine. With my HRM and FitBit I can see the benefits (calories burned) of exercise in addition to the other cardiovascular and strength benefits. That has helped me be dedicated in continuing to exercise, even on the days I don't feel like it. Even though I watch my carbs, I am still eating foods I like, just less of them at a time.

At this point, I've made it far enough along that I feel like I might actually succeed. And I am determined that at whatever point I stop, I *will not* put the weight back on. It is my intention to give myself a small range of variation and continue to weight weekly. If I go above that 5lb range, then I will go back to eating at a deficit for a while.
  • catladyksa
    catladyksa Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options

Good one!!!

I am feeling GREAT about this time around! I can't really say I had a 'wake up ' call, but I just got tired of being tired and at my 'mature' age, I wanted to do something about my weight. So I found MFP in Feb. and have not looked back! I am finally accountable and this is keeping me on track. I like a couple of the groups I have joined and this has helped me too. And with the ease of logging in my calories on MFP and using my Fitbit that automatically will add my calories burned....it couldn't be easier!! I am more determined than ever to keep this journey going full steam ahead!!!
  • Sandyslosenit
    Sandyslosenit Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Great topic!! I don't feel as stressed this with this journey, I don't feel like there's some deadline!!! I decided a few weeks ago that I felt like crap after eating fried foods so I decided to stay away from them. The next thing I knew I was back on here with a whole different attitude. Its not about weight loss this time in my life. I want to feel good. I want to breathe better. Walk without huffing and puffing. The weight-loss is just a happy side effect! :happy:
  • KarenZen
    KarenZen Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options

Oh, yes... truly.
  • PatrickB_87
    PatrickB_87 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I'm 26 and I don't want the myriad of health problems that WILL EVENTUAL HAPPEN as a conscience of my choices, I have a lot of life to live and I want to be in the best position possible to live it.

My attitude is I am working at this and the weight loss and life changes will happen, I may want it now but I will take the time to do this right, for the last time.
  • AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I feel as though I've found the secret. I'm not even trying to lose weight anymore. It seems easy.