Carb and Sugar Addiction

Options
KarenZen
KarenZen Posts: 1,430 Member
How many of you struggle with high sensitivity to processed carbs and sugar? I find it much easier to stick to my calorie count if I cut out all sugar, flour, pasta, and rice. My hunger levels diminish, I dump a ton of fluid, and I just feel better. I've tried whole grains , high protein breads, etc., but still find they trigger insatiable hunger. I did eat some quinoa pasta the other day which seemed better. Brown rice I can do if I throw in some chia, buckwheat, and quinoa, but I need to keep the portion small.

Have any of you self-identified as carb addicts? Have you experimented with "clean" eating and what results? Ideally, I would stick to organic food, local eggs, grass fed beef, lots of veggies, but the money, shopping, prep, and cooking are overwhelming to me. And the compulsion to grab fast food is so hard to fight--that addict's need for instant gratification, the" high" of the high fat, high sugar food!

Replies

• julieworley376
    julieworley376 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Thanks for bringing this up Karen. I saw this discussed on another board here and a certified fitness trainer said point blank sugar addiction does not exist it is impossible. My take on it is, it may or may not be physical addiction, but if we reach for something whether it be alcohol, cocaine, sugar or carbs in order to feel better or forget for a while then it is an addiction.

Having said that, I react mainly to sugar. I have been told to keep my sodium down and if I don't I swell very badly and gain a ton of weight. But sugar will have the same effect on me.

I am fine with carbs in the sense that I don't have to cut them out and can eat low calorie whole grain bread and baked potatoes and brown rice etc. But lots of highly processed foods are out. In other words shopping the perimeter of the grocery store and not buying take out.

Last night we had oven baked battered fish and fries because my husband likes these on occasion. BIG mistake. This morning my eyes are all swollen up again. It's frustrating to me that now I don't only have to watch calories but also sodium and sugar levels too.

High fat take out food puts weight on me faster than anything else!
  • KarenZen
    Options
    The trainer is wrong. New studies show the neural pathways of sugar/ food addiction are the same as drug addiction.
    http://www.yaleruddcenter.org/what_we_do.aspx?id=263
  • KarenZen
    Options
    Here's a link to the food addiction work at Yale.http://www.apa.org/gradpsych/2011/11/food-addiction.aspx
  • sysof
    sysof Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I consider myself a carb addict, but then again I also consider myself a food addict.

Last week after eating some jelly beans I found myself totally out of it, staring blindly at my computer with my brain wavering around somewhere in a fog. I've never taken drugs, but that's pretty much how heroin users nod off after shooting up, right?

It's horrible. I just started here today and am doing a low carb diet.

Thank you for that link to the Yale study.
  • AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I don't think sugar is addictive in itself, but when combined with salt and fat in certain quantities it creates a "bliss point".
    If sugar were addictive, you would be seeing people eating tons of fruit and tablespoons of sugar. That doesn't happen on a large scale. It is mostly the foods many consider to be junk food.
    The sharp rise and fall of blood sugar can make you hungry, which should not be linked to addiction.

I'm insulin resistant, so I avoid as many carbs as possible.
    I cut out pretty much everything with carbs.. chips, sodas, sweets, rice, bread, french fries, corn, pasta, and even fruit.
    I eat a couple slices of low-calorie toast with little carb in them every once in a while and it doesn't throw me into any relapse or a carb or sugar binge.
  • PatrickB_87
    PatrickB_87 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I'm not certain about sensitivity. I have none to think of towards sugar, i like it or love it, but it doesn't really do anything to me at this point. I'm absolutely in love with carbs, i'm doing much better to eat only whole grains (love Dave's Killer Bread), but i'm not certain about sensitivity. I do tend to notice i become hungry again sooner after a meal with carbs, but i'm not really certain. I'll have to try a week of limiting them at lunch time to see how i do as thats where i notice it.

I'm not certain about the whole eating "clean" thing. It seems to be a word tossed around. Eating healthy and fresh, yes, eating clean has negative connotations. As if their are clean or dirty foods. By all means if carbs are an issue don't eat them but I don't think that makes them not clean. It reminds me of juicing or gluten free (apologies to the true celiac suffers).

As for wanting to eat organic i can understand but nutritionally their is no difference (their might be a taste difference but that has more to do with the variety and growing method), though it certainly makes us feel good. When i buy organic is usually not for health reasons, its because i can either support a local farm (most of whom tend to be smaller and organic) or support a farmer who is using agriculturally sustainable methods (though that can include none organic). Everything else i buy normally because of budget. I do buy a lot more fruits and vegetables now so budget is an issue. I haven't done a comparison but i imagine now that I have cut fastfood out the balance goes to the produce so i don't think im saving anything.

I hear you on the prep time. I feels like I spend a lot of time prepping and eating my meals. I made a late breakfast and then did yoga and it felt like it was time to eat again. Lunch took at lest 45min. Granted i eat later since i'm not an early riser (i work at home thank goodness), but by the time i was done with lunch it was only an hour and a half before my 5pm walk. Doesn't feel like i got much done today except figure out what to eat, go buy it, make it and eat it.
  • lindabeth333
    lindabeth333 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I am definitely carb sensitive - I can feel the difference when I am not eating carbs. I feel better - sleep better and my skin is clearer. I also get that addictive craving feeling when I am eating too many carbs . Not so much when I am eating clean. I feel better with higher protein, lots of veggies and some fruit and some real fat - then I don't get the crazy overwhelming cravings.
  • KarenZen
    Options
    Linda, I have been reading posts in a group called Say No To Sugar! and so many of the stories are mine... that craving that won't stop and has nothing to do with hunger or emotions. The new studies behind sugar addiction (and usually it's a sugar-fat combo addiction like ice cream or baked goods) and carb sensitivities are pretty enlightening. Like you, I do much better staying staying sugar abstinent and avoiding most carbs. I'd love to be able to have just one small piece of cake, but the one piece triggers such a strong response, I turn into a junkie doing anything for a fix (including eating out of the trash at a party--there's a shameful secret). I suppose that could be the question that separates addicts from non addicts--have you ever eaten cake out of the trash?
  • Sandyslosenit
    Sandyslosenit Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Yup, carb sensitive here! I don't eat carbs unless their high in fiber or I feel hungry for the rest of the day. So why do that to myself? I just don't. No white stuff for me, Its just easier!
  • lindabeth333
    Options
    Linda, I have been reading posts in a group called Say No To Sugar! and so many of the stories are mine... that craving that won't stop and has nothing to do with hunger or emotions. The new studies behind sugar addiction (and usually it's a sugar-fat combo addiction like ice cream or baked goods) and carb sensitivities are pretty enlightening. Like you, I do much better staying staying sugar abstinent and avoiding most carbs. I'd love to be able to have just one small piece of cake, but the one piece triggers such a strong response, I turn into a junkie doing anything for a fix (including eating out of the trash at a party--there's a shameful secret). I suppose that could be the question that separates addicts from non addicts--have you ever eaten cake out of the trash?

I haven't done that but I can understand the overwhelming cravings. For me - it is at night after I have gone to bed - if I have eaten carbs during the day - I get this overwhelming sense of hunger(?) that just won't stop - like a constant voice to get something to eat…I drink water and wait but the thought just won't leave my head.. so sometimes I do get up and eat something…but when I am eating cleaner - that voice is not so strong and can be drowned with water and I can go to sleep and surprisingly - I am not hungry in the morning and so glad that I didn't eat.

I also am an emotional eater and I have noticed that sometimes I catch myself grabbing something to eat mindlessly after an upsetting conversation and I realize that I am not hungry and put it back. The first time I noticed that - I was kind of surprised - so now - I eat 3 meals and 3 snacks and don't eat standing up or graze. It helps me.
  • KarenZen
    Options
    Linda, are you the Night Eater? I thought I saw a post from you about that. One of the eating disorder programs I went to put the binge eaters and night eaters together, and we learned about the interesting hormonal anomalies associated with both. For instance, the hormone that signals sleep, melatonin, is greatly decreased in night eaters. They also don't have a nighttime rise in the hormone leptin, which suppresses hunger, and the stress hormone cortisol is elevated all day.

I used to skip breakfast and lunch (really no appetite) and then become insatiable from about 4 p.m. on. Breaking this habit has been even more difficult than giving up sugar, but I'm getting better at it.

My shrink told me two weeks ago not to believe anything I tell myself about food right now. I can't be trusted! Instead, I need to listen to the voices of my experts and support team who have outlined a meal b plan, calorie count, and exercise guidelines for me to follow. When my voice tells me it's okay to skip a meal, my meal plan says it's not. When my voice says I should stay up late and eat cheese and crackers, my calorie count says no. Seems counter-intuitive to not trust myself, but I guess I'm learning not to trust the voice of the eating disorder.
  • lindabeth333
    Options
    Linda, are you the Night Eater? I thought I saw a post from you about that. One of the eating disorder programs I went to put the binge eaters and night eaters together, and we learned about the interesting hormonal anomalies associated with both. For instance, the hormone that signals sleep, melatonin, is greatly decreased in night eaters. They also don't have a nighttime rise in the hormone leptin, which suppresses hunger, and the stress hormone cortisol is elevated all day.

I used to skip breakfast and lunch (really no appetite) and then become insatiable from about 4 p.m. on. Breaking this habit has been even more difficult than giving up sugar, but I'm getting better at it.

My shrink told me two weeks ago not to believe anything I tell myself about food right now. I can't be trusted! Instead, I need to listen to the voices of my experts and support team who have outlined a meal b plan, calorie count, and exercise guidelines for me to follow. When my voice tells me it's okay to skip a meal, my meal plan says it's not. When my voice says I should stay up late and eat cheese and crackers, my calorie count says no. Seems counter-intuitive to not trust myself, but I guess I'm learning not to trust the voice of the eating disorder.

I was not the poster but that sounds like me -terrible sleeper - I have been taking melatonin and it helps - also I know that my cortisol stress level is high and has been for years - did they give any advice about what to do? Is there anything you know that I can read about it? Thanks, L
  • KarenZen
    Options
    I was not the poster but that sounds like me -terrible sleeper - I have been taking melatonin and it helps - also I know that my cortisol stress level is high and has been for years - did they give any advice about what to do? Is there anything you know that I can read about it? Thanks, L
    [/quote]

If you Google Night Eating Syndrome, you can find all kinds of info. This article has some new info on nutritional treatment experiments, specifically using foods that cause rises in serotonin like walnuts, peanuts, tomatoes, etc. http://www.hypothesisjournal.com/?p=1458
    I used to teach research writing at a university and love digging through journal archives. I'm also fascinated by the biochemical components of obesity... maybe will write a book on it one day.
  • lindabeth333
    Options
    Thanks Karen - I also love to research things and I am feeling slightly obsessed with figuring out what will work for me to get where I want to be> I will google that and let me know if you ever do write your book - I would love to read it!