Hello

Options
SideSteel
SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
I'm not sure how active this group is, but I figured I would post here.

My 3 year old was just diagnosed as being on the autism spectrum. He appears to be on the mild to moderate end. Mostly communication/social issues more-so than cognitive.

I am not handling it very well emotionally, but I suppose it's not about me.

Fortunately my son is a very cheerful and happy boy (when he isn't having a meltdown) and that does make this easier to handle.

We are currently working through the school district as well as exploring outside therapy options.

Replies

• ImaWaterBender
    ImaWaterBender Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Hi, I a son on the spectrum, Charlie is 14 and has mid-functioning classic autism.

It is hard to cope with that diagnosis. I denied it for years, although I still got him therapy. But it was hard. It's easier now, I don't look back and say, What if? anymore.

I guess I have come to terms with autism.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    It gets easier and when caught early, they make great strides.

Our son was diagnosed with Aspergers, mild form of autism. He does take medication to help him focus in school and is a little quirky, but he does fine. He went through some therapy early on and it really did help him and gave us a way to understand some of his mannerisms.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Honey, I TOTALLY understand! It's hard for us as parents to hear the world tell us our child has a problem. When my girls doc referred her to the psychologist and when I first did the questionnaire at the psychologists office, I felt as though I had thrown my child under the bus, it was a horrible feeling. When I found out my girl had aspbergers, It made me want to scream. I wouldn't tell anyone because I wanted my child to fit in, to not be looked at in any condescending way, then after doing this for a few years, I found that it was me with the issue, not my girl. She had an actual problem and I was no help to her being in denial. I had also gotten her the help she needed at the time she needed it, but my biggest hurdle was with her older sister, trying to get HER to be sympathetic and patient. Now, both girls are thick as thieves, but there were some really hard years.

Finding out she had high functioning autism finally made sense though once I was told and once I did the research and read up on the symptoms. I had seen the signs, but didn't recognize them so I wrote them off as her being a little different. Her speech problem I didn't really catch because we lived with her and were used to it. She had a school teacher that noticed it. Her problems with running when she was smaller, I just didn't know. Sometimes I feel like I failed her, but I know I didn't in that we got her into a speech program, we got her to a psychologist, and she's pretty darn well adjusted and turning out to be a super-awesome person. The main issue (if you'd call it that) we really have is I've seen that her maturity level is about three years behind her peers. She's up to date education-wise, but in all things teenager, yeah, her maturity level is three years behind.
  • Ashes_To_Beast
    Ashes_To_Beast Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    We're pretty much on the same boat, I found out in Sept.
    98777 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I have Asperger's and I'm having a hard time getting my life under control.

And my nephew has "mild autism" and has a language delay. Your son sounds a lot like him. Just don't give up on him.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Hang in there honey, it'll come together for you. Really, I promise. :bigsmile:
  • joybedford
    joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Hi I have 3 children with varying degrees of autism. Marcus is 18 and was diagnosed with severe autism at age 5 he was non verbal till he was 6, and had severe development delay till about 10. At 12 he dropped out of the school system briefly due to anxiety and bullying. Today he is a confident young man who is just about to take A level ICT and interactive media. We are currently looking at university places. He still needs support and will live with us for a long time yet but I never thought he would achieve what he has at age 12 I thought their was no hope. With the right support, love and patience they can achieve their full potential.
    Piers my 9 year old has aspergers and ADHD. He is on Ritalin to control his hyperactivity. He is the funniest, most loving child I have ever met. He has anger problems and learning difficulties but he is who he is and I have faith he will meet his goal of being a chef one day.
    Lydia is piers twin sister undiagnosed but has many asperger/ADHD traits. She is totally crazy, a very talented dancer but is forgetful and disorganised.
    They each have difficulties but I don't think I would have it any other way it's all I know and that's who they are. Life at times is difficult I am not going to pretend it's not but it's also interesting and fun, who wants to be normal anyway. If you have any questions message me and add me as friend if you want. I think the hardest thing is working out their place in the real world and coming to terms with your dreams for them changing. I have learned to relish in every tiny progress my children make and I love the people they are becoming. My advice, read lots, get support for you, other family members and your son and relax. The diagnosis doesn't change anything it's a key to help and information please use it.
  • DeliriumCanBeFun
    DeliriumCanBeFun Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    With the right support, love and patience they can achieve their full potential.
    This is so very important for any child, just as age 3 can be very difficult with any child. I have Aspergers but wasn't diagnosed as a child. I went through some pretty terrible times in my late teens and early adulthood; but with a loving family and a sheer determination to do so much more than just survive, here I am! Fortunately there are so many resources availble to you and your child's educators now than mine did. And just know that everyone on the Autism spectrum has special talents and strenghts, and they find them in different times and places. Do what you can to help your boy find his :)