What do you look forward to most?

Options
julieworley376
julieworley376 Posts: 444 Member
We all know that losing weight is not the key to everlasting happiness, life has it's challenges for everyone. But what do you look forward to doing the most that you can't do now because your weight is holding you back?

For me, it is returning to ballet class.. yep.. at 279 lbs I was doing ballet down at the local company at all of 55 years old.. one wrong move and I was injured for months and know I can't go back till I have taken a good amount of weight off. I can't wait to return.

I might ride a horse again, I am not sure because I lost my nerve after breaking my spine in a riding accident. But if I do try it won't be until I have a lot of weight off. It has nothing to do with what the horse can carry and everything to do with being agile and balanced enough to ride.

Replies

• monmonof3
    monmonof3 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    One of the things that I look forward to is to not have anxiety about whether or not I will fit into chairs in new places. New restaurants, new friends houses. I have been embarrassed more than once. I also want to ride in an airplane seat without discomfort.
  • PatrickB_87
    PatrickB_87 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    It's funny but its the same thing I told the women at weight watchers when I was in middle school. I want to be able to get into the pool (ocean) again with my shirt off without hating myself for it or being ashamed of my body (god only know what I will do with these stretch marks but thats a worry i look forward to because at least it means I made it). I like the water, i enjoyed swimming.

It's part of my goal, i have not target weight in ming yet, but after I loose some more I want to get back in the pool. Even if it doesn't mean I take my shirt off at least to add to my exercise routine, so that one day I can do it and be satisfied.

Thats all I want, to be satisfied with my body. I don't need to be fit, or muscular. Average will do for me but 300+ is not average.
  • idlehands79
    Options
    I'd love to ride a horse again or go to the beach without shame. Not worrying about weight limits of chairs or getting stuck between the arm rests -_-

Most of all, I want to be able to do things with my husband we used to do when we were in better shape. We've always been heavy but it's got out of control lately, especially with me. I don't want to live my life sitting around and I know he doesn't like that. I set a goal for myself that by autumn we will be in shape to go on a long hike at a state park we went to 7 years ago.

I would also like to not feel ashamed to go and see my family. I avoid them even though I know they miss me because I don't want to hear the comments about my weight. Nothing mean but even the 'we're concerned' is hard to hear. Maybe it's selfish, but I'd like to shed some weight before going to a family get together again.
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Some of the things I wanted have already happened since I joined MFP. I wanted to stop taking insulin to control my Type 2 Diabetes. Done. I wanted to no longer need a seat belt extender in the plane. Done.

I'd like to feel comfortable in stadium seats (usually pretty small) or in those little plastic chairs restaurants use outside. I want to feel like no one looks at me and sees a fat woman first. I love to travel and I want to be able to look at brochures and think 'that sounds like fun and I can do it.'

Right now, what I'm looking forward to most is onderland. I'm down to 233, and I really want to reach the 100s. I know it is just a number, but I haven't seen the 100s in over 25 years.
  • catladyksa
    catladyksa Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Some of the things I wanted have already happened since I joined MFP. I wanted to stop taking insulin to control my Type 2 Diabetes. Done. I wanted to no longer need a seat belt extender in the plane. Done.

Awesome! Congrats!!

I also would like to not take up so much space in the seat on a plane. I have not had to use the extender, but the belt did have to go to the maximum length for my waistline! It is much better now though! i want to fit into a size 12 pants! Coming down from a blouse size 22/24 to a size 18 now has given me a great feeling of accomplishment. I also would like to be comfortable getting into the pool when I return to visit my folks this summer!
  • TSUE1980
    TSUE1980 Posts: 2
    Options
    I really just want to be able to go new places and not wonder what people think about me or what they are saying. I have family all over the country and it would be amazing to fly and see them. I don't visit them now because I'm to embaressed to ask for a seat belt extender or have to purchase an extra seat.
  • julieworley376
    Options
    Oh yes.. my family are all in the UK and right now I can't imagine getting on a plane or how I would fit in the seat. I also suffer being afraid I will break chairs. Good ones!
  • whatsallthisthen
    whatsallthisthen Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I just don't want to worry about having by body be 'out of the standard range'. Some recent things that I encountered, was excited about doing, and then couldn't when I 'remembered' my weight/dimensions:

1)Indoor skydiving
    2) Exploring 'City Museum' in St. Louis
    3)Passing an Airforce civilian physical for the flight crew on a zero-grav experiment (you have to be in the normal to overweight bmi)
    4) Participating in human-factors engineering measurements
    5) Horse riding

I'm just tired of checking the weight limit!
  • Kourui
    Kourui Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    THE GREAT ROLLER COASTER QUEST!

My poor husband will watch with queasiness :sick: from the side as I hit up every roller coaster and fast ride in every amusement park I can get into. :laugh:
  • Sandyslosenit
    Sandyslosenit Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I would looove to zipline!! The thought of flying through the air, oh ya!! :tongue:
  • julieworley376
    Options
    Oh Yeah!!!! I want to zipline too! I am afraid of heights so my husband thinks that I won't even get on the tower.. just watch me! I don't want to zipline just anywhere though.. I want to zipline somewhere I can be flying over tree tops.
  • sysof
    sysof Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Being human again.

I don't really have an adventurous bone in my body, and I certainly would never sky dive or zipline! Wow! I don't have enough money to dream about vacations by plane. :)

I look forward to being able to confidently sit in any chair when I go out. I look forward to actually going out without fear of someone snapping a pic of my butt to stick on some joke website.
  • julieworley376
    Options
    Being human again.

I wonder how many of us feel like this. We are in fact human. But I know exactly what you mean.
  • claudie08
    claudie08 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Wearing a skirt above my ankles. I am pear-shaped and carry most of my weight below the waist, I have fatty calves and my ankles become swollen alot, so I cannot wear short skirts. It's so frustrating for me when I go shopping because I see way too many dresses and skirts for big women that are short, and then there's my favorite....skinny jeans!! WHAT'S WITH THAT!!!:grumble:

Another thing I look forward to is getting back into my smaller sizes. I was able to get into some of them when I lost the 46lbs. It felt like heaven. Now, they are back in storage and I refuse to give them up. And don't even think about suggesting I use them as motivation or incentive. I have 2 dresses and 2 pairs of jeans that I bought JUST for that reason.....nearly 15 years ago.:sad: and they're STILL in storage!!

Thank goodness for maxi dresses and yoga pants!!!
  • KarenZen
    KarenZen Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I knew you were a kindred spirit, Claudie! YES, thank God for maxi dresses and yoga pants!

I can't wait to take off these compression stockings for good and wear shorts and keds or a short dress and sandals. My legs are also big and swollen so I keep them hidden most of the time.
  • intenseze
    intenseze Posts: 20
    Options
    I want to be able to shop for clothes in an actual store and not online. I want to ride amusement park rides without being terrified that I'm going to break something and die or kill someone else. I want to be able to sit in any chair and not be afraid of breaking it or bruising my thighs from squeezing in it. I want to get dressed up and have my husband say "Wow you look amazing" instead of "yeah it's ok." There are so many more.
  • GC527
    GC527 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I look forward to loving myself again. I look forward to flying on a plane to a beach where I will wear a bathing suit and rock it. I look forward to hearing someone whispering around me and knowing that it may indeed be about me, but it won't be about how horridly fat I am.
  • claudie08
    claudie08 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I knew you were a kindred spirit, Claudie! YES, thank God for maxi dresses and yoga pants!

I can't wait to take off these compression stockings for good and wear shorts and keds or a short dress and sandals. My legs are also big and swollen so I keep them hidden most of the time.

Oh My Goodness..We must be!! :happy: Although I don't wear compression socks, my ankles are swollen and I have to be careful about the kind of shoes/sandals I wear. Things can look hideous when the swelling is bad. I even "joke" about my legs looking like cottage cheese in pantyhose. My friends and family laugh, but it's the truth.
  • PatrickB_87
    PatrickB_87 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I look forward to looking like the picture in my drivers license again.
  • blondageh
    blondageh Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I look forward to family pictures! I declined the free ones offered at my daughter's school...