Let's discuss 'feeding' on long rides...

Options

Replies

• KatrinaWilke
    KatrinaWilke Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I saw some guys eating some sort of "Rice Balls" at a 100K MTB Race a month or so ago.
    Anyone have any ideas what that might have been? Looked a lot more appetizing than GUs. :)

Maybe it's some variation of these: http://feedzonecookbook.com/2013/04/04/allen-lims-rice-cakes-a-portable-snack-for-athletes-thats-made-from-real-food/ I made a basically vegatarian version a couple of months back and it was great.

Some great info, but what I took away was this: eat, stay fueled, find what works best. Need to remember to do that more often!

The Feedzone Cookbook is my favorite cookbook! I already cook dishes similiar to what these guys do so I didn't have to try to hard when I follow their recipes!
  • jeffreyjording
    jeffreyjording Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Clif shots double espresso, GU, Honey stinger waffles, Sports beans, regular Clif bars. I try to eat every 45-60min.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    No idea... but you don't *need* gus/gels or whatever else. I've had some of my best performances on water, bananas, half a PB&J and rice crispy treats. I will say that gus/gels are WAY easier to carry.

I need electrolytes or I get horrible head aches.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    that's fine. My point was that you can get whatever you need, be it sugars or sodium or whatever else, through regular food. You don't need gels or blocks or gu.
  • Jakess1971
    Jakess1971 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    The Jelly Beans helped a LOT on Today's ride (27/04/2014)
  • cowbellsandcoffee
    cowbellsandcoffee Posts: 2,975 Member
    Options
    I like to keep it simple. Bananas, PB&J, Fig Newtons, rice cakes and some Skratch drink mix.
  • spdoman7
    spdoman7 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    20 ounce water every 45 minutes,
    GU gel every 60 minutes. If ride is going to be longer than 2 hours
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,683 Member
    Options

can we have that in civilised measures for the rest of the world...

:wink:
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,236 Member
    Options

can we have that in civilised measures for the rest of the world...

:wink:

20 onces is just over 600 ml. :wink:

I usually don't take anything but water for rides under two hours unless it's really hot and then I'll put an electrolyte in the water. I don't normally drink caffeine so I can't take the caffeinated drinks or it gives me stomach cramps. On rides over two hours I found mixing Gatorade 1/2 and 1/2 with water gives me electrolytes and sugars. For over 3 hours I'll take a couple cliff bars in addition to the fluids and eat about 1/2 every hour. I try to plow through a 700 ml bottle every hour whether it's hot or not. I plan accordingly and carry one bottle or each hour of the ride or carry cash to stop at the store and refill if it's more than four hours.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,533 Member
    Options
    Hub says am too competitive even on regular rides...so I eat protein pancakes before riding. Drink a 24-oz water before leaving. Carry two 24-oz icebottles with me that melt in the heat. Refill those at least twice with icewater that again will melt. I wear a Garmin HRM/Strap so about the 1500-1750call burn mark, I eat 1/2 protein bar or a candy bar. Tho there have been times where powerhouse thru headwind & hills and I'll down both the protein bar & the candy bar at the same time. Heh. Then hit it some more.

Not much of a caffeine drinker but I do enjoy Diet Peach Snapple on mornings when I feel a little sluggish. Tho then I have to stop too many times for restroom and frankly that's annoying.

There's been days when am absolutely famished and I like to get a Arby's Beef & Cheddar or a 6" Subway meatball. I find the Arby's digests a little easier than the Meatball and don't feel as weighted down for continued ride.
  • bsexton3
    bsexton3 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    On rides over two hours I found mixing Gatorade 1/2 and 1/2 with water gives me electrolytes and sugars.

A few years ago, I started making homemade gatorade. There are many recipes on-line. I use Nancy Clark's Sports drink. It is a simple recipe. It is a lot cheaper than gatorade. I change flavor by changing juices.
  • Lard_Vader
    Lard_Vader Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I’ll usually take a break along my rides if I ride over 70 miles. I will usually bring an energy bar and fruit. I’ve been documenting my longer rides intake on Strava (for those here that follow me). For example, I rode 80 miles last Saturday and had 4 bottles (3 electrolyte mix, 1 water) and had 1 Larabar with 5 dates. I probably would have eaten a banana if they had any at the store I stop at. Sometimes I’ll just eat 2 or 3 bananas along the ride and never stop. It’s typical for me to consume 100 calories or so per hour except on shorter rides 50 miles or less.

I stick to gels with running (easier to digest). I like something more substantial when on the bike.
  • chelleb1974
    chelleb1974 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Under 2 hours, I just have water (3L) mixed with a packet of EmergenC electrolyte mix and a packet of salt (no sodium in the packets). I tend to drink 1L an hour when riding...more if it's hots. Over 2 hours, I was bringing a That's It! Fruit bar and Bonk bars and eating about 200cal/hr or so....alternating between the fruit bar and the bonk bar. I would also have a caffeinated beverage about have way through a 4-6hrs ride. A treat for me after riding (and to aid recovery) was to have 16oz chocolate milk, a banana and a bag of baked potato chips. Then a proper meal when I got home.

I'm about to start training for a century in September and am re-thinking some of the food I've brought on the bike in the past. I have the FeedZone portables cookbook that someone mentioned earlier (Rice balls) and am going to cook up some of the recipes and see how they are. I also recently found 'recipes' on making my own dried fruit/nut bars, so may try that instead of buying the That's It! Fruit bars. Have been curious about the Feed Zone cookbook for cooking regular meals and may have to check that out too.

I've ridden a few 60 mile rides and what worked best for me was eating a carb/protein/fat ratio (off bike) of 40/30/30 and allowed me to lose weight as well as be fueled properly (for me) for riding.

~Chelle
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I tend to lose my appetite when I'm hot, so I focus on eating small amounts often. Eat things that will agree with you and are mostly carbohydrate.
  • cowbellsandcoffee
    cowbellsandcoffee Posts: 2,975 Member
    Options
    I tend to lose my appetite when I'm hot, so I focus on eating small amounts often. Eat things that will agree with you and are mostly carbohydrate.

Beer, I take it?.... :happy:
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I take a peanut butter and ginger sandwich and a banana with me for rides over 3 hours and I take Hammergel. I use a little Hammergel on rides less than 3 hours and I take two sandwiches on rides over 6 hours and use plenty of Hammergel. Lots of water and I'm good with gatorade as a supplement.
  • oldbikegirl
    oldbikegirl Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Fig Newtons are an oldie but goodie and travel well in the jersey pocket.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options

Beer, I take it?.... :happy:

Nice. :laugh:
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    I tried the honey waffles today. That was definitely a winner! I went back to the LBS and got some more. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: