New to Group/Older than Dirt

Options
kikstand
kikstand Posts: 36 Member
...well, older than some dirt.:laugh:

Over the 50 mark and starting to lose horsepower. Also get a lot of blow-by in the lower end and my spark isn't as strong as it used to be. Showing some serious patina and don't mind that, but still want to look like I can hold my own on the open road. Lifting free weights again pretty regularly and pulled a couple muscles already this year doing so. Slowed down and dropped a few plates and now I'm back into 4 days a week with the other 3 on the elliptical. That's the plan anyway. Like most, I slip and get lazy sometimes.

Rode motorcycles since mid sixties when dad bought my brother and I two Tecumseh powered mini bikes. Never owned anything with more than two wheels until I left the Marine Corps. Just needed something to haul my gear and two bikes back to Florida so I bought a 69 Ford Econoline from another Marine, and from there I went downhill. When the weather was nasty, I'd get in the van instead of riding through it.

Still own Harleys today and a bunch of dirt bikes but not putting enough hard road miles on even though I ride every day. Did Sturgis in 2003 logging in 2500+ miles round trip, and was doing round trips to Kentucky every year from Florida up until about 3 years ago.

I could go on and on but this was supposed to be an 'Intro Post'.

Keep riding, it's what we do.
Jaytree

Replies

• TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard and Semper Fi. Been riding since the late 60's as well. Bought my first street bike when I was in the Marine Corps in 1972.
  • kikstand
    Options
    Semper Fi RoadDog!
    My first Harley was a 1984 XLS I bought brand new from Bakersfield HD while I was stationed at Camp Pendleton. Rode it back down across the Grapevine. Second New Harley I bought through the Military Sales System while in the Philippines. It was a 1987 FXRS and was delivered stateside at Westminster HD in Ca. I was 3534 Motor T (Refueler) 1983-1990.
    Good to e-meet you Devil Dog!
  • dsl01
    dsl01 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Yep, welcome to the group!
    I Live in Tennessee, been riding about 45 years myself. Maybe there is a little dirt somewhere still older than me.
  • debneeds2beskinny
    debneeds2beskinny Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm in florida also and love it because we ride all the time. I started riding in 72 - so there is just a little bit of dirt older than me. Learned to ride in Alaska and loved it ever since.

My longest trip has been 5000 miles round trip - what an adventure. We haven't done the Sturgis thing yet, don't know if I really want to. We do bike week etc.. (we live close to Daytona) and that is enough. Getting so I don't enjoy the huge crowds with many bikers not knowing what they are doing.

Anyway - welcome!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    WELCOME!!!!!
  • kikstand
    Options
    Yep, welcome to the group!
    I Live in Tennessee, been riding about 45 years myself. Maybe there is a little dirt somewhere still older than me.

Thank you for the Welcome! I love riding in Tennessee. Lot of beautiful backroads in that state.
    Welcome! I'm in florida also and love it because we ride all the time. I started riding in 72 - so there is just a little bit of dirt older than me. Learned to ride in Alaska and loved it ever since.

My longest trip has been 5000 miles round trip - what an adventure. We haven't done the Sturgis thing yet, don't know if I really want to. We do bike week etc.. (we live close to Daytona) and that is enough. Getting so I don't enjoy the huge crowds with many bikers not knowing what they are doing.

Anyway - welcome!
    Thank you, and as far as Daytona for me, been there and done that so many times it's more of a pain than a vacation.
    I would rather take off solo or with a few friends on some nice curvy, shade-covered roads somewhere than fight the crowds.
    WELCOME!!!!!
    Thank you!!