Cooking for family.... having issues :-(

Options
Winefine86
Winefine86 Posts: 5 Member
Tonight I'm going to attempt to cook my family dinner for the first time since my surgery last Monday. As I get everything prepared I find it so hard to resist wanting to eat it even though I know I'm not hungry. This is truly going to be hard to get used to, how do you you all deal with cooking for family with the food restrictions?

Replies

• Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Tonight I'm going to attempt to cook my family dinner for the first time since my surgery last Monday. As I get everything prepared I find it so hard to resist wanting to eat it even though I know I'm not hungry. This is truly going to be hard to get used to, how do you you all deal with cooking for family with the food restrictions?

I simply stopped eating any whole wheat pasta, whole wheat crackers, whole wheat bread, sushi rice, long grain brown basmati and rice pasta. If my husband wants them he has to make it himself, which he does cause he is an athlete and preps his own food most of the time anyway. Potato and pastries had been banned from our house 10yrs ago by my skinny husband(those were his trigger foods). My daughter loves Shirataki noodles and doesn't seem to have noticed that we don't eat fried brown rice anymore. She actually likes my chickpea crepes for her lunch wraps better than the whole wheat tortillas I used to buy. I asked her to ask her grandparents to take her for sushi. I just can't make it and not eat it and I don't want to watch someone else eat it. Maybe try that Skinnytaste website to see if you can tweak your recipes to work for you. I feel for you, I couldn't make spaghetti carbonara and not eat it.
  • Winefine86
    Options
    Thank you... I wish my family was as healthy as yours my husband has made it clear he supports me but does not want to diet.lol He eats everything in sit but does not gain a pound (Mr. Lucky).lol but I will take your advice ans have him prepare his own meal if the request is just to tempting.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    If the food you were cooking made you obese you definitely should tweak the recipes. I went thru a bad divorce as a child (3-5, wasn't a quick divorce)and medicated with food. Luckily my family only had healthy food at home. It took them awhile to figure out that I was hoarding food, sneaking food, even stealing food. Out of six children I was the only overweight child. Back then we didn't link obesity to depression. My poor parents blocked my access to high calorie carbs constantly which I resented then but now I thank God. I would have been 300 lbs in 6th grade!! You don't want to regain your weight and you don't want your children obese so I recommend you check all your recipes for calorie and carb counts and number of portions. I have been training my daughter for 2 years that simple carbs-which she and my husband eat are always portion controlled. No dumping Cheerios in a huge bowl, cereal is always poured in a measuring cup. A portion of wheat saltines is always 5. Simple carbs should be whole grain, are always eaten last and optional if you are already full. Keep simple carbs(breads,pasta, potatoes) to 25g per meal. Avoid eating simple carbs alone, add a protein or fat. All other food is free access. My sister in law is a triathlete now but she grew up meat and potatoes. She completely revamped every recipe to make it work for her.
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I love to cook and have found that tasting while cooking, as is normal, satisifed any cravings for that food. Tasting one Ziti to make sure it's cooked is not going to hurt you. Neither is a spoonful of sauce.

Considering you are only one week out I would avoid any tasting until you progress through the reccomended diet phases. After that I would not worry.
  • JxAAA
    JxAAA Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I found that cooking really helps with my cravings, I don't eat the bad stuff but I smell it and that's good enough for me. I'm constantly looking up recipes on pinterest and trying new things. I will tweak things to make them more protein friendly but not diet tasting. My family usually enjoys what I cook. I'll make them a side of rice, pasta, potatoes or some other carb but I make very little just enough for them and I'll usually have a veggie. In fact they've actually been quite impressed with my cooking since I had surgery because I'm not making the same old things anymore.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    We actually changed our food to what I can and should have, because frankly, it's better for my husband to eat this way too. Monday-Friday he does most of the cooking because his hours make that easier. I cook on the weekends. But again, the menu is "sleeve friendly". I think if you transition your family into a more healthy way of eating, by the time you're really back into "real food", you will be able to eat with them, just in much smaller protions.

PS - remember to weigh and measure everything, because it's just way too hard to accurately guage portions just by looking at them. :wink:
  • Winefine86
    Options
    Thanks Guys for all the good advice and Tips! Very appreciated
  • escapepod
    escapepod Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I found it a bit challenging the first weeks post-op when I really couldn't eat anything at all. During that time my husband mostly fended for himself. I figured take-out and tv dinners and canned soup and such wouldn't kill him for brief period, and I did have a few large casseroles portioned out and packed in the freezer for him. Or, I made something I could have a bit of, even pureed.

Nowadays I can mostly eat what he does, with moderation. I make a protein main dish (ham, chicken, meatloaf) and a veggie - I eat a small portion of the meat and veggie, and he has larger portions plus a starch. I don't mind skipping the starch. There are a few things he loves that I just can't eat, like tuna casserole or other pasta dishes - those I'll make a batch now and then, freeze the leftovers in portions suitable for him, and I enjoy a post-op friendly meal for myself. My go-to on those nights is often leftovers (I have a chicken artichoke casserole I love that freezes well and I package in small portions for myself), or frozen meatballs with a bit of pasta sauce and cheese - super quick and I love it, so I don't crave whatever he's having.
  • Ujj7
    Ujj7 Posts: 51
    Options
    Mango pickle what is ur recipe for the chickpea flour crepes?