Strength training for runners

Options
davemunger
davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
I always tell runners that strength training is the most effective way to avoid repetitive stress injuries. I haven't had this sort of injury in the past year since I started a comprehensive strength training program, so I thought I'd share my workout with you. I put an asterisk by the exercises that specifically target running muscles.

Based on recent research, I now do shorter sets using "explosive" movement. 4-6 reps at 80 percent of the maximum weight I can lift. Ideally you should do 4 sets of each of the weightlifting exercises. I do them in circuits of three exercises:

Circuit 1: (3-4 sets of 4-6 reps each except where noted)
* 1. Pushups (do a more difficult version of pushups if you can do more than 15 in each set)
* 2. Squats (I do front squats but regular squats would work as well)
3. Biceps curl

Circuit 2 (3-4 sets of 4-6 reps each except where noted)
* 1. Core rotate
* 2. Bulgarian squats
3. Dips

Circuit 3 (3-4 sets of 4-6 reps each except where noted)
1. Bench press
* 2. Plank (60 seconds per set)
3. Row

Circuit 4 (3-4 sets of 4-6 reps each except where noted)
1. Shoulder press
2. Pull-ups (I do assisted pull-ups)
3. Tricep press

Then I do a few core exercises, 10-50 reps depending on difficulty of exercise
* 1. Leg lift with scissor kick (10 reps, repeat until exhaustion)
* 2. Bicycle sit-ups (50 reps)
* 3. Stability ball ab curls (10-20 reps)
• 4. Stability ball hamstring curls (10-20 reps)
* 5. Pointer dogs (10 on each side)
• 6. Side plank hip lifts (10 on each side)
* 7. One-legged bridges (10 on each leg)
* 8. "Dead bug" with stability ball (10 on each side)

...and that's about it. I have a few flexibility exercises that I throw in, but these are the key exercises. I'll post some tips on these exercises soon -- let me know if there are any you have questions about or if you have another exercise that you think helps a lot!

Replies

• sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I'm also a believer in injury prevention through strong muscles.

Just a note about squats: Front squats target the quads and don't hit the posterior chain as much as back squats do. I like both of them but if you're just doing front squats it may be a good idea to do something else for your *kitten* and hamstrings.

Now that racing is done for a little while I'm working on building up some leg strength that I lost after having to recover from an injury last year (a sprained ankle - not from overuse or running or lifting, just from clumsiness). This is my plan for probably the next couple of months before I start "official" marathon training. I'm between 20 and 25 miles per week right now and will be gradually increasing to get up into the mid 30s at least.

Monday:
    - Squats
    - Incline Bench (flat bench aggravates my shoulder and since I'm not ever going to do any powerlifting comps I don't need to do it)
    - Abs (I do a circuit of weighted crunches/hanging leg raise/ab wheel/dumbbell side bends)

Wednesday:
    - Deadlift
    - Military Press
    - Pull-ups (my pull-ups are also assisted :ohwell: )

Friday:
    - Snatch
    - Clean and Jerk
    - Abs

Long run is usually on Saturdays and I haven't had any problems with it after lifting on Friday.

All this will change when I shift my focus back toward getting ready for races but I will still do at least two days of strength training during that time.
  • davemunger
    Options
    Just a note about squats: Front squats target the quads and don't hit the posterior chain as much as back squats do. I like both of them but if you're just doing front squats it may be a good idea to do something else for your *kitten* and hamstrings.

Good point! This is why I also do the Bulgarian squats, which have the added advantage of helping a lot with balance and lateral stability.

edit: I should add that I do my workouts on m/w/f. I will skip friday if I'm racing Saturday. If it's a big race I skip leg work on Wednesday as well.

Separate question: I was never taught to do the deadlift but I know a lot of folks swear by it. What are your thoughts on it -- do you think it is necessary / helpful for runners?
  • sjohnny
    Options
    RE Deadlift:

I LOVE it. I think it's good for everyone (medical conditions notwithstanding). I don't think it's "necessary" for anyone but I really think it's a great way to really hit the entire posterior chain. It's also a very real world applicable lift because you're just picking sht up off the ground and that's something people do all the time. Form is very important with this lift because you're usually using pretty substantial weight (it's usually the heavy lift anyone does) and if you aren't mindful of your back position you can eff stuff up pretty bad. That being said I herniated a disc about 10 or 11 years ago and it flares up from time to time. When I'm incorporating deadlifts into my routine I have a lot less flare ups and they don't last as long - I'm SUPER vigilant about not rounding my back when lifting though.

I haven't been doing them and just started up again last week so I'm not lifting as heavy as I was a year ago but my thoughts are that hills kicked my *kitten* in my last couple of races so I want to add some strength into my hill climbing muscles and a great way to do that is to deadlift and throw as many hills as I can stand into my runs.

Also: Nothing makes me feel more like a complete beast than deadlifts. Even though the weights I lift aren't that much I still feel like a complete animal after a set of deads.
  • saskie78
    saskie78 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    This is great, Dave; thanks! Curious about the dead bug with stability ball. I do something my PT calls the dead bug, but I can't really imagine how to do it with a stability ball?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LztijdAUvpo
  • sjohnny
    Options
    Good point! This is why I also do the Bulgarian squats, which have the added advantage of helping a lot with balance and lateral stability.

This is probably why I should be doing them too but I'm so damned clumsy they scare the crap out of me that I'm going to fall over and die :laugh:
  • davemunger
    Options
    This is great, Dave; thanks! Curious about the dead bug with stability ball. I do something my PT calls the dead bug, but I can't really imagine how to do it with a stability ball?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LztijdAUvpo

Yep, that's the exercise. Here's a video that shows how to do it with the stability ball. I do it slightly differently, really pushing my knee into the ball when I lift.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUfeEgFly8w
  • saskie78
    saskie78 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Fantastic. I never thought of this. I tend to drop my knees or pull them up because it makes the exercise easier. Will do it like this from now on.
  • zornig
    zornig Posts: 336 Member
    Options

edit: I should add that I do my workouts on m/w/f. I will skip friday if I'm racing Saturday. If it's a big race I skip leg work on Wednesday as well.

Separate question: I was never taught to do the deadlift but I know a lot of folks swear by it. What are your thoughts on it -- do you think it is necessary / helpful for runners?

I am a lifter more so than I'm a runner, at least in terms of knowledge and experience. But I can't imagine that DL is anything but useful to a runner. It conditions the posterior chain, strengthens hammys and back, and is one of the magical lifts that hits practically every major muscle group all at once. I find DL very satisfying, although it is still second place to the back squat in my book. Then again, I'm one of those who can squat more than I can DL, which is atypical.
  • Carlton_Banks
    Carlton_Banks Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this workout plan. I do many of these exercises in yoga classes. I'm always on the lookout for more effective exercises to improve strength and address my imbalances
  • actlc
    actlc Posts: 84
    Options
    Thanks. Definitely some great strength training added to running.
  • runningjen74
    runningjen74 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Hi all

Anyone else who is squatting notice that they are losing range of motion on their squats when they've increased running milage. I'm training for a half marathon and noticed on if leg day was too soon to a longish run, my hips were stiff as hell. Lots of foam rolling and being aware of the problem so focusing on it has helped. I'm only at 15-20 miles a week, but still causing problems. My squat isn't bad, I can get my legs below parallel, but it's getting harder!

I lift, I run but I don't do one to help the other - I do try and ensure they don't hinder each other if that makes sense. With my running affecting my leg day I'm getting a bit cross!
  • davemunger
    Options
    Hi all

Anyone else who is squatting notice that they are losing range of motion on their squats when they've increased running milage. I'm training for a half marathon and noticed on if leg day was too soon to a longish run, my hips were stiff as hell. Lots of foam rolling and being aware of the problem so focusing on it has helped. I'm only at 15-20 miles a week, but still causing problems. My squat isn't bad, I can get my legs below parallel, but it's getting harder!

I lift, I run but I don't do one to help the other - I do try and ensure they don't hinder each other if that makes sense. With my running affecting my leg day I'm getting a bit cross!

Yes, getting a full range of motion on squats is definitely more difficult after a hard run. I have found that if I do multiple sets of squats, I can usually get the full range in by the final set. One thing you could try is doing some warm-up squats with no / low weight before you move into you load-bearing squats.
  • sjohnny
    Options
    Hi all

Yes, getting a full range of motion on squats is definitely more difficult after a hard run. I have found that if I do multiple sets of squats, I can usually get the full range in by the final set. One thing you could try is doing some warm-up squats with no / low weight before you move into you load-bearing squats.

Yes to warm ups. And also to doing more stretching/mobility work in general.
  • runningjen74
    runningjen74 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I do the couch stretch, roll out the quads/hams/gluts/IT band. start off with body weight and then just the bar for a few sets before I start to load up. THEN it's okay, but only okay.

Oh well, for now running is priority - I guess come winter, I'll be back lifting as my primary sport and the balance will be the other way then :ohwell:
  • sjohnny
    Options
    I do the couch stretch, roll out the quads/hams/gluts/IT band. start off with body weight and then just the bar for a few sets before I start to load up. THEN it's okay, but only okay.

Oh well, for now running is priority - I guess come winter, I'll be back lifting as my primary sport and the balance will be the other way then :ohwell:

There comes a point where it's very difficult to make serious progress in both lifting and running at the same time. Unfortunately it's when you're starting to get pretty good at both that one has to take a back seat in order to excel at the other. My experience has been that when I'm just in "fitness" or whatever mode and am not actively training for anything I can progress in both reasonably as long as I'm eating enough and resting enough. When I'm training for a race I can't make much progress lifting so it takes a back seat for that time period. I don't know if I just ate and rested more if that would change because I don't think I can eat that much.

That made more sense in my head. I'm still on my first cup of coffee.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

This thread is good info. I just finished the NROLFW program, which I worked into my running schedule (T/Th/Sun). My runs on days that I lift are low mileage, higher intensity. How do you arrange your running schedule around your lifting schedule?
  • davemunger
    Options
    Okay, I'm going to start collecting examples of good form for my strength workout routine; I'll update this post periodically and hopefully eventually we'll have a complete set!

Front Squat:
    http://www.muscleandfitness.com/workouts/legs-exercises/upgrade-your-front-squat

Dumbbell Bulgarian Split Squat:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyue5CLdma0
  • sjohnny
    Options
    This is part 1 of a 6 part series but it's awesome about squat form

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ME8gEN54Ao
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thank you for posting this. I have been a bit whilly nilly with my strength training. This is a great plan!