Still learning what did you change?

Options
jogawa15
jogawa15 Posts: 34 Member
Hello my fellow sleevers,
I am a year and 5 months out and trying to reconnect to my journey. Some things I have been thinking about and wonder what you all are doing.

1) what did you give up and you still do not touch? Do you have any foods or places that your strict about? For me was a huge diet coke addict loved loved my diet coke had around 2 or 3 a day hubby always tried to get me to quit he would ask me "how many thin people do you see drinking diet coke? At the first weight loss surgery meeting I went into saw a woman in a wheel chair very heavy she had a meltdown when she learned that she would have to give it up. She left complaining she could not quit. It has been the one thing I have been strict about. Stopped a month before the surgery. Also fast food.. Try to avoid at all cost a year and 5 months out still have not touched a hamburger no desire

2) do you drink carbonated beverages? This has been hard for me because I love sparking water and g&t from time to time. They say it stretches the stomach asked my dr he said don't make it a habit but no big deal from time to time.

3) alcohol do you drink? I definitely have a very low tolerance don't drink more then two if I do have a glass depends on the size. Right now want to lose so back to no.

4) do you eat and drink together? I do not it is still the one thing that makes me sick I wait 30 to 40 minutes before drinking after meals.

5) do you exercise?

6) did you tell people? I was pretty honest with people at work they were very supportive these days not so willing to share have had some negative comments recently one was at the pool when a lady I often see asked me if I had weigh loss surgery I said yes she then replied "oh I am doing it the REAL way" hmmm I asked her how often she sees me working out? She said oh all the time but... You cheated! It kind of shocked me but I said I work out more then you do I log what I eat everyday she said I took the easy way? I said your right! I took the easy way I removed 80% of my stomach and changed my life forever but...when you lose 100 pounds let's sit down and discuss jt then I passed her up in the pool and went on with my work out. It does bother me that some people think this is the easy way I know I was once one of them. These days I tell fewer people unless I see someone who really even cares.

7) favorite foods? Go to snacks for me the 90 calorie beef jerky packs from Costco and medi protein bars 100 calories, cottage cheese and my protein drinks

7) any tidbits/ advice?

Could go on and on but let's start with this :)

Replies

• bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    1) I've given up nothing, except maybe Chinese Fried Rice, because it no longer likes ME. No great loss there.

2) do you drink carbonated beverages? I was a diet soda\sparkling water junkie before and I have not re-started that habit. On occasion, I'll drink a Guinness which has light carbonation but its rare.

3) alcohol do you drink? Occasionally, but certainly not like before. More than 2 glasses of wine makes me feel icky and I get full fast on Guinness.

4) do you eat and drink together? No. I thought I'd never be able to give it up, but it makes me feel icky when I do, so I just don't.

5) do you exercise? 5 days per week on a stationary bike, religiously. Burning 640 cal per the heart rate strap lately. I take weekends off. I would not be where I am today without exercise.

6) did you tell people? I tell everyone. You never know who is struggling, (comparing their journey to mine is not a fair comparison), or if they have a loved one who could benefit from the information. This procedure saved my life and I want to be its cheerleader.

7) favorite foods? Sargento cheese sticks, quest bars

8) any tidbits/ advice? I should ask you the same. I'm only 6 months out and terrified of falling back into old habits once I reach maintenance. I have 25 pounds to go and its coming off really slooooowly now.
  • LadyG0915
    LadyG0915 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I am 26 months out and currently 33 weeks preg.

1) I gave up steak. I just can't seem to stomach it. Sad. I originally went very low carb and when baby hit, I smashed noodles like it was my job, so I will be back to giving those up ASAP.

2) Carbonation - ehhh I was never a huge soda drinker and I find that the bubbles really bother me. Now a flat soda, I'll drink but that rarely ever happens. I had to let go of sweet tea, but again with baby on board, I have been lax.

3)Alcohol.....not right now, but I will enjoy a beer or two.

4) Eat and drink together......On I TRY so hard, but them my mouth feels dry and I'll take a sip to get my mough right. I don't watch the clock to see when I can drink again, i just wait until I am thirsty or chew on some ice.

5) Excercise....normally yes. I made up to 7 months walking, but now I am just so tired and wore out from every day living, I will get back to the gym in a few weeks!

6) Tell people....I have blogged about it and if they chose to read then they know. My family and close friends know and never had any negative responses. I don't shout it out and I have no issues telling people that are struggling and look to me because I ahve lost weight.

7) Favorite foods.....hmmmm I am a big fan of Tuna salad and tomatoes and cucumbers. I Really need to get back to protein, but I would take a veggie over meat right now.

8) Advice....if you have given up something and it's working for you, don't let it back in. It's hard when you get to taste it again and it's sooooo good. I have had pizza which I had sworn off unless it was super thin and full of veggies once a month. PROTEIN.....PROTEIN....PROTEIN.... and don't give up!
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    1) what did you give up and you still do not touch? I don't feel like I have given up anything, I feel like I just made changes. I knew what I was signing up for. That said, I don't go near simple white carbs like bread, pasta, rice, etc. I made a commitment to myself that because of how much I had to lose, the first year I would stick to the plan as closely as possible. So far so good, I am pretty much all protein, all the time!

2) do you drink carbonated beverages? Nope. Gave them up because I knew I had to.

3) alcohol do you drink? I haven't had a drink since way before my surgery, and my surgery was in October. Alcohol isn't something I HAVE to have, and I would rather use my calories for something that will be more beneficial. That's just me though, everyone uses their calories differently!

4) do you eat and drink together? No, I haven't even tried, too scared of what the outcome will be!

5) do you exercise? Absolutely. 5-6 times a week I do an hour of cardio, either the elliptical or the treadmill at the gym, and about 3 times a week I use the strength machines. Exercise makes me feel great, and it helps me burn off all the extra energy I have now!

6) did you tell people? Definitely. I don't feel ashamed or secretive about having surgery. I told my family and they were very supportive. I told my boss and coworkers because I work in a small office and my weight loss and changes in eating etc. would be noticeable, plus, we are like a family. People who haven't had weight issues don't always understand choosing surgery, so I do talk about my surgery. I feel like if people know someone who has been through it, and if they see that they are doing better as a result of it, then they are less judgmental about it. If someone has something negative to say, which really only happened to me once, that's on them. I don't let it get to me, I know having surgery gave me back control of my health and quality of life.

7) favorite foods? I have always been and still am a meat lover. I am so glad my diet now is so revolved around protein! For snacks I do love my Quest bars, Double Chocolate Chunk is my favorite, and my next favorite is the Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough.

7) any tidbits/ advice? Do what you are supposed to do. I have had friends who regained after gastric bypass surgery, and I asked them why they thought they did. They said it was because stopped doing what they were supposed to do and started making food choices that weren't the best. I also hear the same thing in support groups from people who are further out than I am - do what you are supposed to do.
  • dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    1) what did you give up and you still do not touch? Diet Mountain Dew and Beer. Sigh, loved both. I have had ONE taste of a Diet Mtn Dew and it was horrible. Can't believe I used to drink that stuff now. I may someday taste a beer again, but probably better not to do so.

2) do you drink carbonated beverages? No, see above.

3) alcohol do you drink? I consider having a glass of wine now and then. Someday I will. Right now, I don't want the calories.

4) do you eat and drink together? I didn't before surgery, much. So not too difficult to change for this.

5) do you exercise? Yes, as much as I should or sometimes would like too, no. I've gotten into hiking again. Now that I can, I like getting my exercise in fun ways.

6) did you tell people? I was also pretty honest with some people at work. tell the right person and the whole office will know anyway. Now that they see both my wife and I doing so well, we are getting people asking us about what we did. I have never tried to hide it. It is what it is for the individual. For me it meant living again.

7) favorite foods? Well, a week ago I would have said Quest bars, but now that the nutritionist has convinced me to cut them out as a regular thing... I love eggs, ham, a good steak - rib or filet, and now dark meat only chicken. I can't eat the drier white meat any longer. I also love an occasional Guerro 75 calorie flour tortilla. I find attempting to eat more than that makes me feel ill.

8) any tidbits/ advice? You got all of my best current eating advice on the other thread. (One year and 5 months...) For exercise, make it FUN and you won't feel like you are working out. If I was where you are, I'd be hiking, trying to get courage enough to take my still obese, saggy skinned self snorkling! (On my bucket list!)
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    1. - What did I give up? Ice cream and flavored chips. Neither could I control myself with before my sleeve and I have no reason to think I could control them now. As for things like fast food, Wendi's chili is the closest I get.

2. - Do I drink Carbonated Beverages? Not really. Let me explain. I love Sparkling Ice flavored water. It's carbonated, but my tummy doesn't like carbonation. So I sip a little bit, recap, shake and release the carbonation. I repeat this until the carbonation is gone.

3. - Alcohol - so rarely that I can't remember the last time. I get maybe a 1/2 glass of wine in now and can feel it, so I tend not too. Also, if I'm out to eat I have two issues. One I still don't drink while I eat, so really can't have a drink with dinner and two, I prefer to use my calories for food. Now if I'm just out for drinks, I will have a glass of wine or a cocktail if I have the extra calories that day. But again, this is so rare, I don't remember the last time I had alcohol.

4. - Eat and Drink Together? No. I am almost 3 years out and still stop drinking about 1/2 hour before the meal and wait at least 1/2 hour after to drink again. Habit? Maybe. But I feel too full if I drink during a meal or within a few minutes of a meal.

5. - Exercise? I do not get as much as I should. Frankly I have had several injuries in the last 6 months or so and that kept me from exercising much. And since I still hate to exercise, I've allowed that to stop me. I know I need to, I also know I need to get back to it and stop making excuses.

6. - Did I tell people. Yes! I was very open and honest about my plans for surgery and since. This was the best choice for me and I own it. Also if sharing my journey can help one obese person get healthy, than it's worth an negativity I may encounter. And, I've really not had any negativity directed at me, so I guess I'm lucky there.

7. - Favorite Foods? My homemade soups and salad. I actually crave salad some days. Favorite drink? Coffee! I'm addicted!

8. - Advice? Follow the plan, no matter how long. Make these changes lifelong changes because going back to old eating habits and no exercise will cause you to regain, no matter what kind of surgery you had. So for the rest of your life, follow the plan.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I gave up medicating with food/emotional eating a year before surgery. I still found that I had trigger foods that were very difficult for me to control as they brought on huge cravings that I then had to fight for a day. Not surprisingly they were the high glycemic carbs. I no longer eat wheat, rice or white potato to any great extent. A few tbsp of these in a dish are ok but they cannot be the main ingredients. I also recently added corn chips, they illicited the same cravings. People ask me how I can restrict myself but honestly I eat a much wider variety now. I use beans, other grains and squashes/gourds for my starch. When I don't eat simple carbs I become normal, I don't even think about food until I am hungry. I have put in place delicious alternatives to past favorites. Instead of restaurant Vietnamese pho I make my own with Shirataki noodles. Instead of pizza I make portobello pizzas or Farinata. I make my own chick pea crepes that can be used as crepes, wraps or even to replace lasagna noodles. I make chick pea dumplings. I make almond macarons if I want cookies-but leftovers of baked goods are not allowed in the house (this is my skinny husbands rule) his trigger is sweet baked goods, so we all have some and immediately get rid of leftovers. I make a loaf of gluten free bread every 2 wks- bizarrely, I can completely portion control this. Luna coconut bar instead of candy bar. The nice thing was that we never grew up with a lot of processed food so we never had much of it in our house.

I never had Sparkling Ice prior to surgery but I was accustomed to a diet soda at least once or twice a week. I just shake all the fizz out of my pink grapefruit drink when I have the desire for a soda.

I had a light beer at a Super Bowl party that took 3 hours to finish. I was so buzzed and loved it! I share a beer with my husband or mom occasionally, because they never could finish a whole beer either.

I have had to stop drinking with meals or I will wash my food thru and feel a desire to eat too soon(hollow feeling) before my next meal is due.

I only recently began to add exercise at 5 months. Exercise always made me ravenous. When ravenous I make poor food choices. I have now started an hour or two of sustained exercise on the weekends and small 20 minute walks during the week.

If people ask I tell but I am quick to say "weight loss surgery will take off 20-30 lbs. Not ever eating wheat, rice or potato is what takes off 80-100 lbs". The "Easy" remark.....never eating more than a bite of candy, no more than 2 bites of dessert, 750 calories a day until you reach maintenance and even then you only get 1400 if you are 5'5" forty four yr old female, legally drunk after one glass of wine, only 5% of your diet is simple carbs! no carbonated beverages.....Sure, if you call that easy! At 172 lbs I am the weight I was in 6th grade. I have no concept of what it feels like to be a normal wt as an adult. This surgery has given me the tool to push past where all my previous attempts blew up.

Favorite foods. Chick pea flour!! I make all sorts of things from it. Private selection yogurt dips 35 cals/2tbsp. Popsicle sugar free fudgesicles. Premier Protein 160cal/30g protein shakes. Kroger Carbmaster skim milk 60cals/11g protein per cup-also comes in chocolate and vanilla. Premier Protein chewy chocolate chip bars. Meats cooked in crockpots so they are moist. Bacon and light bologna cause the calories are so reasonable for the flavor. All beans. Cheese sticks, slim Jim minis, 100 cal nut packs. PB2. Any seasoned goat cheese on any raw vegetable. Tuna or chicken salad made with strained/Greek yogurt instead of mayo. Eggs, lots of eggs.

Measure and log your food and go to support group. I accept that I will always have "Obese Brain". I will always need to pay attention to my food. Going to support group is just like AA for my eating.
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    1) what did you give up and you still do not touch? Do you have any foods or places that your strict about? - I really haven't given up anything except fast food of any type. Pasta/Rick and breads are in very small quantities as they are not part of my primary nutritional needs and take up too much valuable space.

2) do you drink carbonated beverages? - No. (but see below)

3) alcohol do you drink? - Yes. In moderation; Guiness, Vodka, Tequila, Scotch, Bourbon and wine. I'ma cheap date but I recover quickly!!

4) do you eat and drink together? - No, very uncomfortable. I stick to the 30 minute rule.

5) do you exercise? - EVERY DAY. Love my FitBit!!! Having it linked to MFP has been my best move.

6) did you tell people? - Open, honest and unapologetic

7) favorite foods? - All kinds of meat. I vary the protein bars as a snack to help keep my calories up now that I am close to maintaining.
  • SumoH
    SumoH Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Pretty much the same as DJRonnie. Only difference is telling folks. I just tell them I watch what i eat and exercise everyday. Maybe a half truth, if you look at the whole picture, but essentially what I am doing now.

I also feel like I'm eating small meals all day.

The biggest change has been logging excercise and food. The surgery makes things easier to manage, but also makes me plan my meals to supplement my excercise.
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    1. - What did I give up? Anything white (pasta, rice, potatoes), sugar (except I have ONE mini Reeses PB cup as "dessert"-- for 45 cals, it is a delicous bite!).

2. - Do I drink Carbonated Beverages? nope. I am only 3 months out and I am afraid to try them!

3. - Alcohol - I don't drink. :)

4. - Eat and Drink Together? Nope. Haven't tried it-- too scared!

5. - Exercise? I am REALLY pissed because I WAS working out 6-7 days per week, but 3 weeks ago I partially tore my left Achilles, and I have a shoulder injury, so now I can only do floor postures in my yoga class. No Fitbit. No kickboxing. NOTHING. HATE IT.

6. - Did I tell people?-- My family and a few close friends. No one else's biz as far as I am concerned.

7. - Favorite Foods? Cofffeeeeeee! I drink decaf, though. Also I LOVE cheese. REAL cheese, though-- not that nasty, rubbery lowfat or fat free garbage. I also love red meat and salmon sashimi.

8. - Advice? Ummmm I am kind of new, so IDK if this is good advice or not, but here goes... I had surgery because I wanted to be healthy-- not necessarily skinny. I make my food choices based on my desire for good health. I am watching my cals and logging and such--- but trying not to get too crazy. I had surgery to get OFF the diet wagon-- not to live on it forever. I am still working on finding what "normal" is for me.