What do you tell yourself to push through?

Options
Hey guys,
I was just wondering what you think mid wod to push yourself to finish it.

I keep telling myself I can do anything 10 times. Or I break up the counts and say I can get through 4... 3 times...this round.

Replies

• Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Usually, it's only 8 minutes or 8 more times, or you don't want to be last (which I often am). Whatever pushes me through!!!
  • kmorgan221
    kmorgan221 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I did a hell of a WOD that ended with 20 burpee broad jumps. I thought I was beat by the time I got to them, but was determined to push though. I started counting up, 1, 2, 3, etc. Once I got to 10, I started counting down. 10, 9. When I broke through 5 I was able to push through them because there were one 4 more, 3 more, only 2 more. JUST ONE MORE AND I'M DONE! Boom!

Granted they were sloppy *kitten* burpees, but I did them.
  • kwaz29
    kwaz29 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Whenever I get tired and my brain is telling me that I can't go anymore and absolutely have to stop to catch my breath, I always think, push through and finish-get that great time and you can rest when you're done! It always motivates me to push through!
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I always tell myself I am a beast and if everyone could do this chit, they would. I have never thought of quitting a WOD. I take a few breaths if I need to, I drop weight, and I modify if I have to. But quitting is not an option for me.

I also always think, "The time will go by if I am doing wall balls or not." I hate wall balls.:smile:
  • atynk
    atynk Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Right now I am wodding at 39 weeks pregnant... so I just tell myself " this might help me go into labour" lol...
  • jordymils
    jordymils Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I'm with Kelly. Quitting is never an option for me, but there are some WODs (like those involving running or burpees) that just seem like they're never going to end. So I kind of sugar coat things for myself. Eg if it's 4 rounds of something, when I'm into the second round I keep telling myself I'm nearly half way, then in 3rd round there's only one more, etc. Or if it's high reps of something I try to get more than half done before putting the bar down/taking a breather. Or if it's an AMRAP I hugely overestimate how many rounds I can do, so that when I'm 'halfway', it's actually way more than halfway and I'm nearly done :P
    I'd feel s**t for the rest of the day if I quit, and I never want to be last. So I do whatever I have to in the moment to finish. Sometimes I'll keep an eye on someone else in the group that I use as my aim and try to keep pace with them - or beat them ;)
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    The biggest plus to working out in a group is the motivation, IMO. the only time I ever thought about quitting a WOD I didn't because I knew there were other people suffering as badly as I was.

I also took it as a sign that I'd been going hard for 4 straight months and needed a few days off so I spent the next week doing active recovery and mobility work with no lifting and have been going strong since.
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I've thought about bailing out plenty of times but I've never done it. No one ever quits and I'm not going to be the only person who does.

Usually it's my competitive streak that pushes me on. There's only a small number of us 7am-ers at the box, never more than 5 people, and this one girl gets very similar scores to me so I try to beat her. I know if I stop to rest I will regret it later when she beats me by 1 rep, for example.

This all happens in my head, btw. Not a word of it ever gets uttered. She's really nice so I wouldn't ever tell her I'm actually trying to kick her a* ;P
  • kaaaaylee
    kaaaaylee Posts: 398
    Options
    I've thought about bailing out plenty of times but I've never done it. No one ever quits and I'm not going to be the only person who does.

Usually it's my competitive streak that pushes me on. There's only a small number of us 7am-ers at the box, never more than 5 people, and this one girl gets very similar scores to me so I try to beat her. I know if I stop to rest I will regret it later when she beats me by 1 rep, for example.

This all happens in my head, btw. Not a word of it ever gets uttered. She's really nice so I wouldn't ever tell her I'm actually trying to kick her a* ;P

I secret compete too!
  • bully_lady
    bully_lady Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Great topic! Today was a good example of pushing through - I haven't mastered double unders, so was stuck with triple the amount of singles...by the 3rd round, I was breaking my 90 singles into counts of 15. I have to play with the counting to keep pushing.
  • jordymils
    jordymils Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Yesterday we had 3 x 1km rows in the WOD, so I just keep telling myself how far I've got to go. Eg, at 100m I'm 10% done, 250m I'm 1/4 done and nearly 1/3 done, then 500m I'm halfway and nearly 2/3 done, etc etc. Sometimes I also count my strokes and try to beat it each time. So if I get to 500m in 50 strokes, then the next row I try to do it in under 50...
  • Inkratlet
    Options
    Great topic! Today was a good example of pushing through - I haven't mastered double unders, so was stuck with triple the amount of singles...by the 3rd round, I was breaking my 90 singles into counts of 15. I have to play with the counting to keep pushing.

I lose count doing singles, so have to break them up into pieces to keep track!
  • learning2fly4
    learning2fly4 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I compete against whomever is there. There is one girl whose usually goes in the class before me, and one in my class that i am usually with. I try to beat them both! Sometimes it work sometimes it doesnt. Last night in an AMRAP, i almost doubled up the one, and i passed the other to beat her. These are the days i walk out super proud of my self.
  • lemonshredding
    lemonshredding Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I always tell myself I am a beast and if everyone could do this chit, they would. I have never thought of quitting a WOD. I take a few breaths if I need to, I drop weight, and I modify if I have to. But quitting is not an option for me.

I also always think, "The time will go by if I am doing wall balls or not." I hate wall balls.:smile:

WALL BALLS are DEATH
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Wall balls are actually one thing I don't mind at all.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options

Me neither. Wall balls and the rower are two of the few things where being tall is an advantage in Crossfit.
  • ashleearoha
    ashleearoha Posts: 165 Member
    Options

Me neither. Wall balls and the rower are two of the few things where being tall is an advantage in Crossfit.

Yeah why don't people like wall balls? There are so much worse things I reckon!

Also when I need to get through I think "What would Andrea Ager do?" Haha ;)
  • Inkratlet
    Options
    I don't like wall balls. They are exhausting and they hit you in the face.
  • ohpiper
    ohpiper Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    When I have those moments where it's rough, I try to ask myself what I want to get out of it. It's takes the focus off of the thoughts, "This is really hard. This is really hard" and turns it into, "What do I want to accomplish for myself?" Having that different frame of thought has helped me significantly.
  • SMKean90
    SMKean90 Posts: 55
    Options
    It's when im on a WOD with a long run (i DESPISE running) i just try and picture myself before i started losing weight (last August) the morning where i was bursting out my (UK) size 16 jeans, the biggest i had ever been, refusing to believe i had become a size 18 and fighting on the bed to do the button up, failing miserably, button coming off, and ending up not going out on what turned out to be a really good night out (for everyone else) as i felt depressed and had nothing to wear.
    Seeing photos of myself when i was large last year
    Being out of breath climbing the stairs
    Fearing that i would carry on getting big and get to a point where my health was a SERIOUS risk and not seeing my child grow up

Those thoughts/memories motivate me :)