shoulder flexibility

Options
spitzboop
spitzboop Posts: 15 Member
needing help in this area....
Is this a " you either have it or you don't" type phenomenon ??
Any suggestions on stretches ?
I'm struggling with my squat thrust and falling forward :(

Replies

• ErikaMH22
    Options
    Check out a good yoga class - it has worked wonders for my shoulder flexibility. I also have an old rotator cuff injury and it has been greath rehab, building stability as well as flexibility in the joint.
  • jordymils
    jordymils Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Some people definitely just have better flexibility/mobility than others, but that's not to say it's something you can't work on. I've never had issues with my shoulder flexibility, or general flexibility, but there's a couple guys at my box who really struggle with things like overhead squats. They spent a few weeks just doing OHS with a training bar, so minimal weight but still enough to force their shoulders into the right position, and that helped them lots.
    Have a look at Mobility WOD too - Kelly Starrett is a life saver and has so many great tips for things like this. It's something you just need to be really diligent with for a little while and work on it every day, doing banded stretches, practice certain movements, etc.
  • MUALaurenClark
    MUALaurenClark Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    This is something you should approach your coach about. he/she can show you loads of mobility moves that will help.

Some people start out less flexible than others, but give it 2 weeks and you'll be loosened up.
  • maryrunslikeafox
    maryrunslikeafox Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/user/yogatic

she has some shoulder/neck mobility yoga. Some are only like 10 minutes
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    http://www.mobilitywod.com/?s=front+rack+position

He also has a poster with about 10 exercises that will stretch shoulder, elbow and wrist that helps a ton.
  • spitzboop
    Options
    Thanks for the tips everyone !!
    Finishing up my On Ramp sessions this week...
    Really love what it's doing for me :)
  • MDLNH
    MDLNH Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Some people definitely just have better flexibility/mobility than others, but that's not to say it's something you can't work on. I've never had issues with my shoulder flexibility, or general flexibility, but there's a couple guys at my box who really struggle with things like overhead squats. They spent a few weeks just doing OHS with a training bar, so minimal weight but still enough to force their shoulders into the right position, and that helped them lots.
    Have a look at Mobility WOD too - Kelly Starrett is a life saver and has so many great tips for things like this. It's something you just need to be really diligent with for a little while and work on it every day, doing banded stretches, practice certain movements, etc.
    ^^ This ^^ It takes time and consistency to increase your mobility. And the areas you want it most, will naturally be the most difficult to achieve an improvement in mobility / flexibility. Keep working on it - you'll get there !!! *and great ideas/tips from: jordymils :-)
  • bully_lady
    bully_lady Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I love The Daily Burn, its an app/online thingy (LOL). There is a yoga program on there specifically for strength training recovery - there is a LOT of shoulder work and I have gained a good amount of flexibility. I think its 22 minutes long...and the program is free for 30 days if someone wanted to check it out - dailyburn.com.
  • bully_lady
    bully_lady Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to comment - MDLNH, your profile pic is amazing! Nice work!
  • jordymils
    jordymils Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I love The Daily Burn, its an app/online thingy (LOL). There is a yoga program on there specifically for strength training recovery - there is a LOT of shoulder work and I have gained a good amount of flexibility. I think its 22 minutes long...and the program is free for 30 days if someone wanted to check it out - dailyburn.com.

Will be checking this out. Always on the look out for more recovery/mobility work. Thanks!!
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips everyone !!
    Finishing up my On Ramp sessions this week...
    Really love what it's doing for me :)

I will be a year in this July and still dont' have a great rack position because of my shoulders. It's much better than before, but it takes some work to get things stretched out the right way.

Tell your coaches this is a concern and they will be able to suggest some band stretches that will help.
  • spitzboop
    Options
    ^^ This ^^ It takes time and consistency to increase your mobility. And the areas you want it most, will naturally be the most difficult to achieve an improvement in mobility / flexibility. Keep working on it - you'll get there !!! *and great ideas/tips from: jordymils :-)
  • spitzboop
    Options
    Thank you !! Today is my last On Ramp ....so excited for next week !!