Metformin and TTC

Options
So I wanted to see if anyone was in the same boat as me... I see everybody talking about going a few months and no AF. But I haven't seen anyone go years without AF like myself. The only way I have ever had a period since I was 16 (IM NOW 26) is to take BC. I am now on 2000mg of Metformin and going to discontinue my BC. Has anyone had this kind of problem with PCOS?

Please reply because I am getting very discouraged... :(

Replies

• powellfam2006
    powellfam2006 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    So I wanted to see if anyone was in the same boat as me... I see everybody talking about going a few months and no AF. But I haven't seen anyone go years without AF like myself. The only way I have ever had a period since I was 16 (IM NOW 26) is to take BC. I am now on 2000mg of Metformin and going to discontinue my BC. Has anyone had this kind of problem with PCOS?

Please reply because I am getting very discouraged... :(

I have been taking 2000 metformin for years. It didn't regulate a period for me or help me conceive, BUT... it has helped others... I have recently lost 51lbs, and I had hoped my period would of returned to normal, as of yet it has not. I have also heard that it helped people lose weight. It did not help me, but the dr. said it may have helped me not gain a ton more.. (which I think is a cop out) but like I said it has helped others so why not try it! Hopefully you will get better results then I did :) Good Luck :)
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I went seven months without AF but it only restarted with metformin. I think without metformin I would have had it very rarely, if at all.
  • fairie_marie
    Options
    Most of my life I went with only having a period once a year. I take 1500 mg of Met and it has helped with the weight loss but not with my periods. My periods and ovulation are normal now because I have lost enough weight for my body to allow it to happen. I took Met before my daughter and I lost 90 lbs ( gained most back while preggo with her) and this go round I have lost 40+.
  • HollyColeman91413
    HollyColeman91413 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    i recently started taking metformin....and have been having some bad cramps on my ride sideby the ovary area. any0ne else had that?? and i have gone years also w/o af
  • cehouchens84
    Options
    New to the group so greetings to all! I have been on metformin for years for my PCOS/insulin resistance. Im up to 1000mg twice daily. It never helped me with weight lose or stabilization of my periods, but it has helped with the insulin resistance.
  • gem2807
    gem2807 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Metformin for me does not help me lose weight but it does keep it steady. And it does kick off a period when i first start taking it but does not make them regular the only thing that works for me is weight loss i used to have 1-2 periods a year now i have one every 12 weeks which is regular but not as regular as i would like its hard trying to stay positive 3 years of trying and heart break xx
  • fairie_marie
    fairie_marie Posts: 106
    Options
    i recently started taking metformin....and have been having some bad cramps on my ride sideby the ovary area. any0ne else had that?? and i have gone years also w/o af

That could be a good sign! Pain on just one side could be a sign of ovulation! In some women you will get cramps or s stabbing pain on the side you realse the egg from :) I get it every month now that I am ovulating :)