Depressed because of the pain

Options
Binnee95
Binnee95 Posts: 93 Member
This is my first post though I have been a member of the group for a couple of months. I'm just looking for some encouragement and support. I like to read the success stories and alot of the other forums on this site and I am getting depressed because I can't do all that the other members are doing. I know I"m having a pity party but it stinks that I can't run, I can't use the weight machines, that I get so tired so easily. I have never been diagnosed with anything but I have lived in chronic pain for almost 20 years since I got pericarditis and they could not find out why.
I tried to lift weights over a week ago and I have hurt my xyphoid process which still hurts and feels swollen. This weight loss is so slow without being able to do the harder exercises! My doctor says not to try anything- just to do the weight loss but I keep trying anyway. Even walking on some days is hard. I know that the weather is really bad right now and that has a lot to do with how I feel.
I just wanted to vent to some members who have the pain like I do...

Replies

• EchoDelta1013
    EchoDelta1013 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I've lived with chronic pain in both feet due to a crush injury for 24 years. I found yoga helps. Have you tried that?
  • grubb1019
    grubb1019 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Don't feel like you aren't loosing as fast because you can't exercise, your diet is the most important part of loosing weight. I actually feel like I lose slower when I exercise more. I don't know if it's due to building muscle or what, but the weeks that I get 2 or 3 days of running in always results in about a half of a pound less loss then weeks when I can't exercise. Have you had your vitamin d checked? I have fibro and I take vitamin d and Vit B6, they both make a huge difference in my energy level.
  • Binnee95
    Binnee95 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Hi! Thank you for the responses! I did try a beginning yoga tape and would up very sore afterwards. I am going to try it again- might have been one of my bad days..
    I have had my Vitamin D checked and it is always low so I take 2000 mg everyday although I occasionally forget. Also try to get a bit of sun each day.I have just started a Biotin and B supplement from Andrew Lessman so I am hoping that that will help. Several years ago I was put on three different blood pressure pills and I complained from the beginning that my heart was beating too slow. It would get to the low 40's at night and feel funny. In the day it never got above 60. The doctors would only tell me that it was okay- that athletes have hearts that go into the 40s. I replied that I was no athlete!
    Now I have seen a new doctor and finally someone agreed with me! He is now trying to wean me off the one that makes my heart so slow and now everything seems really screwed up. So maybe that has to do with my bad day streak that I have been having that is depressing me so much.
    I am hoping and praying they will find out what is causing all the aches and pains. I had lyme but they claimed that they caught it in time and that that is not the reason for all of the pain.
    grubb, you have said exactly what my doctor has said to me- just worry about the diet right now, you can't handle much more that walking. You guys are right...losing slow is better than losing nothing at all.

Thank you again!
  • bvifun
    bvifun Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I understand how you feel. Despite knowing from experience that exercise can make things worse we tend to hang on to the "should" about exercise and weight lose. Yes we know that is the case for good health but we need to work within the boundaries we have. The only way I can lose weight is by really watching what I eat and I HOPE that being at a lower weight will allow me to do more while causing less fatigue.
  • cortmom
    cortmom Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I understand you and can relate. I am not able to do major exercise but take it when I can. I have lots of pain so when I know I am going to do a major day on my feet I need to take my pain medicine. It does help a lot. I does not take it all away but does get me through it. I also have days where I am unable to do much at all. But I have a family and so I do what I can housework, gardening etc are all exercise and do make the muscles work. As for weight loss sometimes depending on your situation it is harder to get the pounds off. I am on very high dosages of cortisone for my autoimmune disease. What I noticed is I will maintain a weight until I lower a dose. That said I did noticed that though my weight stayed the same my measurements did go down when I was able to get into a routine, so sometimes you need to really look at the measurements and not the scale.

As for your comment " Several years ago I was put on three different blood pressure pills and I complained from the beginning that my heart was beating too slow. It would get to the low 40's at night and feel funny. In the day it never got above 60. The doctors would only tell me that it was okay- that athletes have hearts that go into the 40s. I replied that I was no athlete! " I am on heart medicines as well pressure and plavix (for clotting) I had two attacks from my autoimmune disease on my heart. If your blood pressure is dropping that low and you feel funny that might be too low for you. Blood pressure should never be set to book norms but norms of the person. Do you have a cardiologist? I would get another opinion. I know that feeling well and yes when it drops like that it makes you very tired and fatigued. I have even fallen into a deep sleep because of it and believe me I knew that was not normal. I just needed an adjustment on my medicines. If you have been exercising it is possible you need an adjustment on the medicines. I would push this with a different doctor.
  • cortmom
    cortmom Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Sorry I posted before reading the rest of your comment. I am glad they changed your medicine. I do know all your symptoms but many that thought they had lymes really had Vasculitis and since you have not been able to find out an explanation to your pain you might want to check out information on vasculitis and have your doctor check for the blood markers. I can talk more about this privately if you want to just message me.
  • 40Jamieful
    40Jamieful Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi, the repeated theme of losing based on diet was good to hear. A couple of years ago I lost weight really well by eating lots of vegetables and no fats, plus soy milk and banana and blueberry shake. But I got really fatigued at the end of winter and couldnt stand to be on the kitchen tile because of a high pain level. After I gave up, I gained the weight back and have tried a variety of different diets, but they stressed me out so much because I was so hungry! So, my doctor told me that our bodies hate being deprived and to just walk more. But that's not working out because of pain issues. So, I will try again to eat like I did when I was successful. Except not so regimented, because it didn't flow with the family, it was overly restrictive. I am patient, I will be so happy to lose slowly. I just want to get started. I am in menopause now and it is hard to lose weight.
    I hope you all have fun trying new things and enjoy your success!
  • kmouse2
    kmouse2 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    How very important for all of us to keep moving any way that we can. The more we move the better it is for us.