GF food made especially for you

Options
funkygas
funkygas Posts: 191 Member
What do you do when you go somewhere and there is a special meal/food for you, but you don't want to eat it because it doesn't really work with your calories for the day. For example, yesterday I was at a business meeting where the conference centre were made aware of my gluten intolerance. They made special morning tea (sausage roll and cake) and a special lunch (beef and veggie noodle stir-fry) so I didn't have to risk the contaminated buffet. Normally I wouldn't have had the morning tea, I was just planning on having a 200cal granola bar that I had bought with me, but ended up wondering when I would ever get the chance to have a GF sausage roll again (that I didn't make). I only had the sausage roll (not the cake as well) and about 3/4 of the lunch.

I only had a very light dinner last night and ended up only 60 cals over my limit, but previously I've had the dliemma where someone has gone to the trouble of making something nice (like a muffin) that I really didn't want to eat, but felt obligated to, since they went to all that trouble.

What do you guys do in this situation?

Replies

• Mof3wc
    Mof3wc Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I would eat it. They went out if their way to specially make it, so you might as well enjoy it.
  • SCHippieChick
    SCHippieChick Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I would probably eat whatever was made for me, as I am not good with confrontations or temptation. However, if I was worried about going too far over my calories for the day, I might just tell the person that I ate already and would like to save it for later. Just because it is given it to you doesn't mean you have to eat it in front of the person, right? I would definitely make sure I told her/him later how good it was so that they would know I appreciated the food gift.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    It's so rare that I have someone make something especially with me in mind that I would probably just eat it and be grateful.
  • Lady_Clarington
    Lady_Clarington Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I had a lunch meeting this week and the gluten free option was a bottle of water so I'd definitely be up for seeing companies make a bit of effort! Like you I would have probably just had one of the morning tea things (you can always say you don't have a sweet tooth) as they probably didn't expect you to eat both they just didn't want to see mean in their offerings (after all - when you have guests round don't you always end up cooking enough for another person just so you don't run the risk of them still being hungry?)

I'm going to a BBQ this weekend and a friend has told my partner she'll be making lots of gluten free delights for me. Now I'm still new to gluten free and had said that I wanted to bring my own food (so I'd know there would be no risk of accidental contamination and of course could be in control of how much I eat) but this was declared ungrateful and untrusting (of course they're not the ones who have to suffer the consequences and I don't want to have to lecture people on why I really would rather they didn't make my meal where there might be bread crumbs) so I fully intend on trying a little bit of everything and then doing my best to make sure everyone else is encouraged to try it too!! Just because its gluten free doesn't mean other people can't eat it and sharing is caring!
  • kgibbz
    kgibbz Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I would eat it. 60 calories over isn't that big of a deal, and one day won't ruin it all. I always think back to "One bad meal won't make you fat, just like one good meal won't make you skinny" when I'm at parties or social events where foods I don't normally eat are served. For instance, we went to nephews first birthday party a week ago and only a few family members know about our gluten restriction because we don't like to have people make exceptions for us. I told SIL not to go out of her way because we wouldn't go hungry. And we didnt. They had hotdogs and sausages we could eat, corn chips, potato chips, potato salad and cake. I ate a hotdog and corn chips I knew were "safe" and no cake. I don't normally eat those things but I didn't want to seem snobby or a pain so I ate them, and they didnt kill me.