Intro - Looking for new friends!

Options
xochristianna
xochristianna Posts: 96 Member
About me: 24, working full time in the corporate world, no kids, but I'm married.

I was diagnosed with PCOS a few years ago, but all the drugs I tried (including Metformin) to help combat my symptoms made me feel crappy.

I would love to have some buddies who are active on MFP and are trying to lose weight without being on medication for your PCOS.

Replies

• scarredqueen
    scarredqueen Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hey!
    Amoreena here. 28. Diagnosed with PCOS 5 or so years ago. Never been on meds for it.
    I started eating better and working out about 8 months ago and have lost 69lbs so far. Still having an incredibly hard time losing weight in my mid-section. Having a friend with PCOS on MFP would definitely be awesome. :)
  • FrancescaWebb
    FrancescaWebb Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I am 28 and was diagnosed about 7 years ago. have never been on meds for it. i feel you on the mid-section thing...its so incredibly hard. i would love to add you as a friend!
  • scarredqueen
    scarredqueen Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yes, let's all be friends! :)
  • LeticiaP268
    LeticiaP268 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I, too, hate Metformin. I feel like pure death when I am on it. I refuse to take it. I have researched supplements to take instead of that. My poor best friend was just prescribed it and I am warning her on the side effects and what NOT to eat. She has seen my struggles with that drug myself. She skinny with PCOS and I am surprised it took the doctors as long as it did to finally get her on it.

I have lost weight without being on Metformin though.
  • xochristianna
    xochristianna Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Good for you, Leticia! What supplements are you currently taking?
  • LeticiaP268
    LeticiaP268 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh. Last time I was taking a series of supplements and herbs I had my first cyst rupture ever. I was taking dong quai, prenatal, fish oil, false unicorn root, licorice, vitex, evening prime rose oil, maca, but in the past I have taken NAC and few others I cannot remember. The first time I took any supplements, I didn't have that issue.

But it is possible to drop weight without NEEDING Metformin. There are other options to the drug if it actually required. Currently, I am not taking anything though.

Here are some links if you are interested in gathering more information:
    http://www.ovarian-cysts-pcos.com/supplements.html
    http://natural-fertility-info.com/fertility-herbs
  • latoya0429
    latoya0429 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm not on metformin. I go to a natural doctor now and she took me off of it because I was on Metformin for about 10 years. I do take a lot of herbs and supplements. I was just recently put on amour thyroid medication because my labs came back with extreme low hormone. I now take the thyroid, vitex, a natural supplement called pco px (its like the natural version of metformin) I take fish oil, DHEA, digestive enzyme, vitamin d and c. Its a lot, I do get overwhelmed but after 10 years on metformin i figure I can get over myself and try it the natural way. :-) good luck to you.