Favourite & least favourite CrossFit moves?

Options

Replies

• kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Favorite: anything involving heavy weight (including thrusters)

least favorite: anything slightly gymnastic related (pull-ups, t2b, muscle ups, etc.) and/or extremely endurance related (running, rowing, burpees etc.)

Sometimes i feel like you are my CF soul mate hahaha.:laugh:
  • cmay89
    cmay89 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Favorite: anything involving heavy weight (including thrusters)

least favorite: anything slightly gymnastic related (pull-ups, t2b, muscle ups, etc.) and/or extremely endurance related (running, rowing, burpees etc.)

Sometimes i feel like you are my CF soul mate hahaha.:laugh:

Lol, I know just what you mean!! At my gym I feel like I'm the only girl who feels like this and then I get on here and see you feel the same about several movements and I realize I'm not so alone! Haha.
  • collegegirl713
    collegegirl713 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    So, I am totally a newbie. I passed my On-Ramp class today to become an official Crossfitter!

I can't believe I saw a burpee as someone's favorite exercise. Burpees and box jumps, I do NOT like. Of course, I torn my shin up pretty good trying to do a box jump (20").

A lot of the lifting I really like. Pull-ups I have a hard time doing, but I don't mind them...how else will I get good at them.

I LOVE kettle bell swings, rowing and overhead squats.

Of course, I haven't really started doing anything too heavy, but I get excited when I see OHS on the board. Apparently, I like the torture!
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    So, I am totally a newbie. I passed my On-Ramp class today to become an official Crossfitter!

I can't believe I saw a burpee as someone's favorite exercise. Burpees and box jumps, I do NOT like. Of course, I torn my shin up pretty good trying to do a box jump (20").

A lot of the lifting I really like. Pull-ups I have a hard time doing, but I don't mind them...how else will I get good at them.

I LOVE kettle bell swings, rowing and overhead squats.

Of course, I haven't really started doing anything too heavy, but I get excited when I see OHS on the board. Apparently, I like the torture!

Congrats on starting CF. I hope you will like it as much as we do.

Box jumps suck at first and lots of people hurt their shins. It will get better. I used to HATE them and now I actually like to see them in a WOD.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    We've had 3 ladies in the past three weeks in the hospital having ripped up their shins, one with almost 30 stitches.

i tend to do 20 inches for WODs and if the comp is 24 I step up. My shins are scarred up enough from soccer as it is.
  • Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    We've had 3 ladies in the past three weeks in the hospital having ripped up their shins, one with almost 30 stitches.

i tend to do 20 inches for WODs and if the comp is 24 I step up. My shins are scarred up enough from soccer as it is.

30 stitches?!?!?!?! This is why box jumps scare me. I think I'll stick with the smaller boxes.
  • collegegirl713
    collegegirl713 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I probably should have gone to the Doctor to get stitches. I didn't think it was that deep or bad, but it has been a month and I still have a decent scab. Oh, well!
  • jordymils
    jordymils Posts: 230 Member
    Options

Box jumps suck at first and lots of people hurt their shins. It will get better. I used to HATE them and now I actually like to see them in a WOD.

Me too! It's something I know I can always do no matter how sore I am.

I guess I was kinda lucky in that I started doing crossfit with a PT at a normal gym and used a 20" step for box jumps, so I got most of my clumsiness with them out of the way before joining my crossfit box. I fell and knocked my shins around quite a few times but nothing as brutal as the wooden boxes. Now I use a 24" as standard for anything, but trying to psych myself up to try a 30". I wouldn't use it in a WOD, I just want to know I can jump that high :tongue:
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I love moving heavy stuff.

Except me. I hate moving my own bodyweight. Burpees, push ups, pull ups, sit ups, running, HSPU's etc.
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options

Me too! It's something I know I can always do no matter how sore I am.

I guess I was kinda lucky in that I started doing crossfit with a PT at a normal gym and used a 20" step for box jumps, so I got most of my clumsiness with them out of the way before joining my crossfit box. I fell and knocked my shins around quite a few times but nothing as brutal as the wooden boxes. Now I use a 24" as standard for anything, but trying to psych myself up to try a 30". I wouldn't use it in a WOD, I just want to know I can jump that high :tongue:

We do them as a skill every now and then. You just keep jumping higher until you a) psyche out or b) crash and burn
  • bregrig
    bregrig Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I LOVE: box jumps for some reason? push press and push jerk. deadlifts. sumo. pulls. all of them. love love love. cleans are also a favorite. running with the sled! annnnd I kind of love snatches but my form needs work.

still trying to get my squat form down but front squat is ok, just have to get my rack position right

I HATE: double unders. the rope climb SO much. anything pull up related. GHD sit ups. the rower OH MY GOSH and the rings. I can't hold myself up there yet.
  • kristincreate
    Options
    LOVE weightlifting. Cleans are my favorite! I also like doing complexes and pull-ups. I DREAD sprints with a bloody passion.
  • gweneddk
    gweneddk Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I like pretty much anything with a barbell (I come from a powerlifting background). So far I'm enjoying snatches and front squats the most. We did a 3/6/9 complex of squat cleans, thrusters, and push presses last week and it may have been my favorite WOD yet, although it took me a long time to finish! I also kinda like wall balls but maybe I need to move up to a 14# ball. I'm working on T2B and so far I like them, though they may get frustrating if they get put in a WOD.

I dislike running but not as much as I thought I would before starting CF. I like short sprints but we don't often do them.
    I dislike burpees mostly because I don't like the way most CFers "flop" onto the ground. I don't mind strict burpees with a pushup that much, but I can't do a super high volume of them that way.
    I dislike situps but only because I don't think they are a good core exercise at all.
    I dislike high volume pull ups but don't mind doing shorter sets with a smaller band--for the long sets I have to use such a strong band that it doesn't really feel like it is going to help me get any stronger.
    I'm scared of handstands and haven't tried them yet, although I'm sure they'll come up sometime in the next couple weeks.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Yikes! I was gonna say that box jumps were one of my favorite moves. Oh well.
    Other favorites include cleans, back squats, kettlebell swings, rowing.
    Oh yeah! One day, we played dodgeball in our gym as a warm-up. So, I gotta say: Dodgeball is one of my favorite Crossfit moves. All the guys in my gym are younger and lift much heavier than I do. Every day. It gets a bit demoralizing. But I can throw MUCH better than any of those muscle-bound gorillas! I had my revenge, and it was sweet, and I have been relishing that memory ever since!
    Finally, something I could be good at!
    So, throwing. That is my absolute favorite.
    Dislike: HSPUs. Really dislike.
    Everything else: Meh. I can take 'em or leave 'em.
  • JoeMO
    JoeMO Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Maybe I shouldn't comment. I'm still very new to CrossFit and can't really say I've found any move that I like. That is mostly because I'm still quite a bit overweight and out of shape. BUT, that's kind of the point isn't it. What I can tell you is that I feel pretty damn good at the end of a workout because I know that I'm improving each and every time. Also the people I work out with have been very encouraging Joe
  • amy_elise1
    amy_elise1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Love: squats, back squats, situps, sprints, cleans
    Hate: WALL BALLS, push ups, burpees over the bar
  • bregrig
    bregrig Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    oo what are burpees over a bar? I am new to the crossfit community as well.

and I also hate wall balls, I forgot about those dreadful things
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    oo what are burpees over a bar? I am new to the crossfit community as well.

and I also hate wall balls, I forgot about those dreadful things

There is a barbell with plates on it in front of you. Do a burpee, jump over the bar, do another, jump over, etc.

Worse are bar-facing burpees where your face is right at the bar. Much longer to jump.

If you want to see it done by a pro, check out the last series of open workouts. One of them featured bar facing burpees and Josh Bridges (if memory serves) did the whole workout unbroken. He never stopped.

I couldn't do more than 10 bar facing burpees without having to stop for breath, and I think I'm being generous.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    I LOVE: box jumps for some reason? push press and push jerk. deadlifts. sumo. pulls. all of them. love love love. cleans are also a favorite. running with the sled! annnnd I kind of love snatches but my form needs work.

still trying to get my squat form down but front squat is ok, just have to get my rack position right

I HATE: double unders. the rope climb SO much. anything pull up related. GHD sit ups. the rower OH MY GOSH and the rings. I can't hold myself up there yet.

It's been a year and I do ring holds for more than a second or too. Still too heavy.

If your box has a dip station, do hold on that. The end of the GHD machine should allow for that as well. That's a little easier hold than with rings and will help you build strength.
  • ashlando
    ashlando Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Love: rowing, deadlifts, wall balls, power cleans, jerks, handstand holds, bench press

Hate: pull-ups, ring dips, TTB, K2E, burpees (esp OTB and box-jump burpees), DUs, running