age appropriate clothing?

Options
2»

Replies

• Wonderwomantam
    Wonderwomantam Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I am finding it hard also. Even more so that I have three teenaged daughters. Being out with them, beautiful, tall and stylish, can at times make me feel either like I am trying to dress like them, or look matronly. I have never been a fashion plate dresser, but I am a professional and want to look classy without looking like my mother. :laugh:
  • Wonderwomantam
    Wonderwomantam Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any recommendations of what store to look for classy, stylish clothes for 40+'ers, especially for summer?
  • jenm0611
    jenm0611 Posts: 13
    Options
    I hate trying to find clothes! There is really no happy medium (as many have said). I don't want to be "soccer mom" all the time but I am not my 20 year old daughter and I am not my 60 year old mother. I have found however some really nice shorts that are kind of "mid length" from Calvin Klein. Also, being in the industry I am in, I can get away with jeans 99% of the time. My problem is shirts. I can't find anything that fits right, and I am so tired of dark drab colors. I also have a tendency to be cheap. I guess having raised kids and being responsible I have a problem sending money on myself so most of the time I will find something I like and of course I think it is too expensive so I pass on it! Consignment stores and thrift stores seem to be my best friend when it comes to clothes shopping. I sometimes hate to admit it but the clothes are used so they are stretched and "formed" and won't sag a month after you get them home.
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I dress for what is comfortable and makes me feel like I look good. I have nice legs and am shorter so I still wear shorter skirts and shorts - until my cellulite starts kicking up - I probably will continue. I am busty so I do wear lower cut shirts too - otherwise I end up looking chunky. I have never been told I am wearing clothes too young for me, and my friends would tell me - lol. I also buy most my clothes in the Junior department at Kohl's, JC Penney's, Macy's and love love love The Loft and Ann Taylor. So I say go for what makes you feel good. I'll be 50 this year and I will be wearing a bikini on our float trip - though it won't be one of those little string ones! I feel the same way about hair - growing up I was always told you needed to cut your hair when you get older. Mine is past my bra strap and I don't see that changing anytime soon!
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I dress modestly, unless I'm on a date with the DH, but I never did get the whole whack your hair off thing. I look awful in short hair! My curly hair will have to practically have to be shaved not to look like Bozo!
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    After a certain age, wearing "younger" clothing just doesn't look right even if you have THE body. It looks like they are trying too hard to stay young (but then who isn't at our age?). That's just me though.
  • Midlife_Crazy
    Midlife_Crazy Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I say go with what you feel comfortable with -- if you feel uncomfortable in it or like your trying too hard, then most likely you are for you. However if you can rock a younger look, and it makes you feel confident and smile, then it's soo the look to do. Too often in life I've found myself hiding from the world through my clothing, or wearing it for someone else...but the people I truly admire find no need for this, and never seem to be inappropriately dressed. So, what I wrote in the beginning is my new goal. Dressing for me (only took 40+ years to get to it). Lol.

By the way, loved this thread!
  • ginalovefire
    Options
    Butt crack at any age ain't good. Always reminds me of Dan Ackroyd.
  • chubbyyummymommy
    chubbyyummymommy Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    By look of your picture I would never have thought you were over 30! My husband gets on my case about age appropriate clothing all the time. He made me throw away all my funny logo T-shirts 10 years ago. I take one of my fashionista bff;s with me to okay most of my buys.
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    I still have my old concert t-shirts that I wear around the house, or when cleaning or moving. I can't give those up.