I Got My Period!

Options
It sounds pretty mundane, doesn't it? Believe me, I know... However, I don't have "natural" periods, ever, so this is a big deal for someone like me.

I have tried everything from medication to supplements and nothing seemed to work. Then I did a lot of research, read a lot of information and even listened to seminars on the effects/results that a low-carb diet can have for women suffering from PCOS and decided I had nothing to lose if it didn't work.

I maintained this way of eating for a month (to date), stayed in ketosis the entire time and exercised as I always have. The only supplements I take are high-quality fish oil and a generic multivitamin.

It was pretty easy to stay on the LCKD, I didn't encounter cravings for carb-rich foods - until the week before I started my period! The cravings were pretty intense and so were the mood swings and cramps! Sure enough, last night I got my period and I am so happy!!

The real test will be if I get one next month but I wanted to share this with anyone who is still thinking about trying it - it's worth a shot, right?

Replies

• 103reasons
    103reasons Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    VERY cool!! I'm totally happy for you!! And, I am in love with low carb eating. I switched to a paleo/primal mentality a month ago and have had amazing results - the weight falls off, no cravings, and energy for days!! Keep it up!!!
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Woohoo!

Getting your period is such a blessing and a curse. No one likes periods but getting one naturally like your supposed to is wonderful! Ive also read a LOT of studies about the LCKD and that seems to be the one that works the best for PCOS statistically. And your right, there are very few cravings if you do it correctly. Many people give up too easily and don't get to see the results of the low carb lifestyle. So great you found something that works for you so you can get your cycle back naturally.
  • PinkMartiniPls
    Options
    I promised myself that I would follow it for three months to see if there were any changes. To my surprise it only took a month! Now I know that I have to maintain this way of eating to stay healthy, I mean finally losing weight is awesome but it's a far better feeling knowing that these symptoms can be maintained.
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Very happy for you and thanks for sharing! I too am looking for a way to get it back naturally. I have fallen off and been stuffing my face with processed carbs which of course put more fat on myself. This just motivated me to get back to primal/keto. Thanks again.
  • PinkMartiniPls
    Options
    Very happy for you and thanks for sharing! I too am looking for a way to get it back naturally. I have fallen off and been stuffing my face with processed carbs which of course put more fat on myself. This just motivated me to get back to primal/keto. Thanks again.

I am so happy to hear that! I never though that it would really ever work - I've had PCOS for such a long time but I guess anything is possible if you try hard enough and trust me, this motivates ME to work harder.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Best Period Thread EVER! Congrats.
  • beelee93
    beelee93 Posts: 6
    Options
    Congratulations on getting your menstrual cycle back! I hope to get mine back soon too..
    I was just wondering if anyone who has P.C.O.S also has a problem with bingeing/bulimia? I have been diagnosed with PCOS and have episodes where I binge on very sugary foods and sometimes purge. Does this have to do with my insulin levels?
  • beelee93
    beelee93 Posts: 6
    Options
    It sounds pretty mundane, doesn't it? Believe me, I know... However, I don't have "natural" periods, ever, so this is a big deal for someone like me.

I have tried everything from medication to supplements and nothing seemed to work. Then I did a lot of research, read a lot of information and even listened to seminars on the effects/results that a low-carb diet can have for women suffering from PCOS and decided I had nothing to lose if it didn't work.

I maintained this way of eating for a month (to date), stayed in ketosis the entire time and exercised as I always have. The only supplements I take are high-quality fish oil and a generic multivitamin.

It was pretty easy to stay on the LCKD, I didn't encounter cravings for carb-rich foods - until the week before I started my period! The cravings were pretty intense and so were the mood swings and cramps! Sure enough, last night I got my period and I am so happy!!

The real test will be if I get one next month but I wanted to share this with anyone who is still thinking about trying it - it's worth a shot, right?

Hi, I'm really pleased you got your periods back well done! Just wondering what is LCKD? I would also like to try and get my period back but atm am in a horrible cycle of bulimia :-(
  • kbshannon
    kbshannon Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    They need "like" buttons on here. It is nothing short of a miracle when a "real" period shows up. :)
  • potionsmistressful
    potionsmistressful Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    OMG!!!!! I thought I was the only one that felt this way!!! I love it when my period comes because it actually came naturally as it was supposed to. I too have PCOS. It makes me feel sad and ugly and all those things. but I know that losing weight will help and is helping. I want to be a mommy some day. I want to be beautiful and function like a normal woman.
  • PinkMartiniPls
    Options
    OMG!!!!! I thought I was the only one that felt this way!!! I love it when my period comes because it actually came naturally as it was supposed to. I too have PCOS. It makes me feel sad and ugly and all those things. but I know that losing weight will help and is helping. I want to be a mommy some day. I want to be beautiful and function like a normal woman.

Most people have no idea what this syndrome does to a woman's sense of self. The side effects are bad enough to have to suffer through but add into that mix not functioning like a normal woman and good grief! I'm glad there are other women out there who are understanding, too.
  • potionsmistressful
    potionsmistressful Posts: 7 Member
    Options

Most people have no idea what this syndrome does to a woman's sense of self. The side effects are bad enough to have to suffer through but add into that mix not functioning like a normal woman and good grief! I'm glad there are other women out there who are understanding, too.

I am finally starting to see that myself not the only one. I mean I know I wasn't but, most women around me are very normal, complain about getting their periods, and all that I'm here like... uh... mine comes twice a year... if I'm lucky. Anyways, a good diet and exercise is key and of course extra beauty treatments and trips to the spa for the more physical side effects of PCOS.
  • Irma77torne
    Irma77torne Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. I'm on CD50 and it's so frustrating! I'm eating low GI, exercice and all that, but the cycles are geting longer! I took a pregnancy test 2 days ago, and nothing. I'll have to keep sticking to the plan, I guess...

Irma
  • PinkMartiniPls
    Options
    I know what you mean. I'm on CD50 and it's so frustrating! I'm eating low GI, exercice and all that, but the cycles are geting longer! I took a pregnancy test 2 days ago, and nothing. I'll have to keep sticking to the plan, I guess...

Irma

You're doing a great job, don't get discouraged! Change takes time and the amount of time is different for everyone. There are a few things that you can do, if you find that you are feeling like you want to give up, 1) make an appointment with your doctor for a physical and ask them to do blood work, so you can see what/if any improvements have been made to your hormone levels and 2) analyze your diet to see if there are things that you can change. Sometimes, we become complacent to our regiment and don't realize it. For instance, you could switch from low GI to low-carb and see if that makes a difference.

Hope this helps!
  • 20percy14
    20percy14 Posts: 24 Member
    Options

I hear ya! I hadnt had mine for months since about november of last year and that one had been induced my medications but a week ago today I got mine, i was so pleased. Ive been having accupuncture for a few weeks, which i think helped.

woop woop

P.

p.s. i dont know how i managed to make that look like a quote from you as well as my response, sorry
  • PinkMartiniPls
    Options
    I got another cycle at 36 days!!! I am so thrilled. I stepped up my game and have been good about going to the gym for cardio. I can't wait to see what happens next month, I would love a baby... keep your fingers crossed!