Maternity Clothes

Options
tiggerhammon
tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
I decided, when first getting pregnant, that I was going to wait until I was bigger before buying any maternity clothes. Mostly because, when I was pregnant with my daughter I got them early on and then I got bigger than I thought I would and they didn't fit very long. Also, because money wasn't the best at the time and I didn't want to spend any money on clothes risking them not fitting.
Fast forward - several months go by and I really haven't needed any maternity clothes. I had lots of yoga pants, pajama pants, stretchy shirts, loose skirts and husband's clothes to borrow from.
Now, at 34 weeks, I am just starting to really need some new clothes. However, now I don't want to buy them. I don't plan on more kids after this one and really dont want to buy clothes (and maternity clothes aren't cheap) that i am only going to wear for 6 weeks - maybe less. Plus, beings as my husband and I made the decision to let my job go and we have been on only his income for months now, money is even tighter.
Did all of you buy maternity clothes? Or did you happen to find ways to make your clothes stretch or somehow make it all the way through?
I wish I had someone I could borrow clothes from but I happen to be the biggest of all of my friends :( Maybe I will just have to cave and invest in a few pairs of pants and a few shirts that will never be worn again but, with the cost of maternity clothes, even just that could be a couple hundred dollars :(

Okay, done complaining now. Any advice?

Replies

• BrainOnAStick
    BrainOnAStick Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Have you explored consignment stores or thrift stores? There are a few kids' consignment stores in my city and they include a few racks of maternity clothes.

Also, I have a pile of maternity clothes that don't fit me and, if the size is right and you think you'll wear them, I am glad to send you some of them. They were handed down to me and are about to go back to the original owner this weekend--unless you want some of them. Private message me if you're interested and we can work it out.
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    JustAnotherGirlSuzanne Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Thrift stores! You'd be amazed at what you can find! I got a maternity winter coat for $12. You'll have to do some digging and you won't find everything you want on your first or even your second trip, but for $50 you should be able to get a couple pairs of jeans and enough tee shirts to last you the next few weeks.
  • emny86
    emny86 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    How about a couple non-maternity maxi dresses. You can wear them postpartum too
  • tiggerhammon
    Options
    Thank you all of you for the replies!
    I am going to go to some yard sales again this morning and then the local thrift store this afternoon. After that, I am going to peek at eBay. Dangerously scary though because eBay was an addiction for me a few years back. Then, I am going to go to Walmart tonight and see what incan find in the way of loose flowing dresses and such that I can wear again not pregnant.
  • nicolemviolette
    nicolemviolette Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I already had a lot of yoga pants and leggings before I got pregnant, but I bought a few more pairs. I mostly just wear those when I go out, and wear pajamas and sweatpants (that I already had) around the house and usually one of my boyfriend's shirts.

As far as shirts go.. I tried to buy ones that I thought would look cute even when I'm done being pregnant. I got some shirts that flow out around my belly, but are normal up top, and some cute T-shirts that aren't meant to be maternity shirts, but are meant to be extra long, so that they still cover up my belly, and will still look pretty cute when my belly goes away. I can still wear a few of my old tank tops, too.
  • tiggerhammon
    Options
    Well, zero luck this weekend at yard sales and local thrift stores. Got one dress at Walmart and a couple super stretchy pants though.