So glad I am VSG

Options
I checked out the rest of the forum for the first time and WOW,, they know how to have a go at each other.
I realised that being VSG maybe we are not as grumpy. I remember being a dieter without VSG. It was a tough struggle. No wonder they are all so grumpy. But hey forums should be supportive like this one. I have only had one negative experience on this forum, my first one. Someone had a go at me for eating a tiny ice cream when I was wanting to increase calories. Said I was setting myself up to fail. It really hurt me because it was a light frozen yoghurt that was under 50 calories and I was desperately trying to boost calories at the time. I have not forgotten it because it made me feel really bad. People have to be aware of what they say to new VSG'ers looking for support and advice. It is not supportive to tell someone they may fail. However it was only once and I have moved on from it, with so much other support in this forum. But the poor folks in the grumpy forum,,,,I really feel for them.

Replies

• pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Juliebccs, I hope it wasn't me who made the remark about the ice cream to you. If it was, please accept my apology for being insensitive and over zealous in my attempt to be helpful.

And you are so right. We need to be careful with our words on here because just like texting, you can't decern the tone of voice even with an emoticon added in. On the flip side though, we need to be able to be honest with each other. So if, in being supportive of each other, we feel the need to speak out, say the hard things we all need to hear sometimes, it might be better to message that person rather than call them out in an open forum. I don't know about you, but I depend on my friends here to be truthful with me, even if it's a hard message to hear.
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I've noticed everybody is an expert on the boards. Its easy to be critical of others when you sit hidded behind a keyboard. I've alos found that if you mention that you have had or are considering WLS on the boards its like posting a sign on your back that says kick me.

I'm really not interested in all that, thats why i come here to interact with people that have truly struggled with weight loss and are using a different type of tool to get to their goals.
  • trinity9058
    trinity9058 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I agree. It is terrifying on the "general" boards. I never,ever feel comfortable speaking up on there because I feel like somoene is going to attack me. It's craziness. I'm glad that I decided to go the WLS and even though I'm not sleeved yet, I'm glad I can come here and talk to nice people if I need to.
  • candacet36
    candacet36 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I am glad that there is a place that I can come and ask others that know what I am going through .... I get honest anwsers and others experiences.

SO THANK YOU ALL for your kindness and support!!!
  • AdrenilineDad
    Options
    Ditto to all the above, I have found peeps here so friendly. Havent been to the other boards but this board has been a huge help. So thank you all and if I can help feel free to hit me up. This is a lot of work but am so looking forward to it being worth it. That is why I chose the sleeve, I was getting so hard to diet knowing as soon as I lost the wieght it would creep back on plus some.
  • juliebccs
    juliebccs Posts: 233
    Options
    I never took notice of who said it Pawoodhull tbh and it is fine now because I have learned that people here are only really wanting to help. Sometimes even I forget now that in the first few weeks out, anything that goes down and stays down can be a Godsend. The word that got to me I think was 'fail'. But ice creams were never a problem food for me in the past so I got my head around my reasons for using it at that time. If however I had used chocolate for the same reason,,,well I would be definitely in trouble as it was a big problem food for me. But really the support from this group has been amazing.
  • shonrecio
    shonrecio Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I am glad that there is a place that I can come and ask others that know what I am going through .... I get honest anwsers and others experiences.

SO THANK YOU ALL for your kindness and support!!!

I Love this forum. It really helps having a place where people understand every aspect of what you are saying and what you are going through. I love the fact that I can ask questions and get good answers, whether what I want to hear or not. This keeps me in check, because sometimes I really need a reality check. Pawoodhull has a great idea, to message someone personally when you may want to say something further to help them is best. Great support by everyone here.
  • ggrn955
    ggrn955 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I too rely on not only support but sometimes the swift kick in the pants. I know that everyone is trying to be supportive and helpful. There is a difference in being the voice of caution and being a "Debbie Downer". We all need the wisdom of those who are farther along on the journey and have insights to share. No one needs a negative, down person.
  • jkern9110
    jkern9110 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    This group has saved me from myself on many occassions. I've been inspired in so many ways by all of you out there. I think that everyone posting is truly trying to help others and to try and stay involved and focused on this process. When it comes to actual medical advice, we must remember that we aren't experts and by no means know all there is to know about this process. Each doctor and nutritionist seems to have developed their own set of best practices from the patients they've helped and the education they've received. Each person's process is going to be different and we shouldn't assume that just because our DOC/NUT told us to do something a certain way, doesn't mean that everyone else was given the same directives. The advice on here is free, but the consequences are not. Take everyone's advice with a grain of salt and only do the things that make sense for you and go along with what was prescribed by your physician. This process is not a one size fits all. We should all recognize this forum as the amazing support structure that it actually is. We share our journey, our recipes, our accomplishments, and sometimes our failures. We can learn something from every story told.