How many carb grams do you eat per day?

Options
I was just curious about how many carbs everyone is eating per day. Are you following a lower carb eating plan, or a higher carb plan? When you subtract fiber, how many carb grams do you normally eat? If you modified your carb intake, did it help your symptoms?

Replies

• smbsantacruz
    smbsantacruz Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I usually average about 130, but my doctor wants me to stick around 100. It's pretty hard, because obviously everything good is a carb! I don't do any modifications for fiber or fat ... I do a straight carb count per day. I could eat all my carbs in Frosted Flakes, for all it matters. (And sometimes I do!)

Modifying my carb intake (which I did around the time I started 500 mg of Metformin, so it's hard to say which had the bigger impact) drastically jumpstarted my weight loss. I was losing a steady two pounds a week without exercise or any other changes.
  • Bjoyz
    Bjoyz Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm curious about this too and wonder what everyone else is doing.

I just started reducing my carbs, however I don't really feel any differences.
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I have been on every meal plan out there for carb counts and for me personally I found that I maintain weight at around 75g per day and lose consistently if I stay under 50g per day. I have the best results though if I am on a low carb/high fat diet called the ketogenic diet. It is tough, but for me it is the only way I have been able to reverse my symptoms. I even got pregnant after only 3 months on the diet last summer. Also, when I am on the diet, I stop craving sweets and other carbs completely after about two weeks. I am back at the diet now after giving birth and having a failed attempt at breastfeeding. I do combine it with 1500 mg metformin and birth control. But the only thing metformin did on its own before I cut carbs was give me more energy. I didn't lose weight or lose symptoms until I cut my carbs drastically.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I have been on every meal plan out there for carb counts and for me personally I found that I maintain weight at around 75g per day and lose consistently if I stay under 50g per day. I have the best results though if I am on a low carb/high fat diet called the ketogenic diet. It is tough, but for me it is the only way I have been able to reverse my symptoms. I even got pregnant after only 3 months on the diet last summer. Also, when I am on the diet, I stop craving sweets and other carbs completely after about two weeks. I am back at the diet now after giving birth and having a failed attempt at breastfeeding. I do combine it with 1500 mg metformin and birth control. But the only thing metformin did on its own before I cut carbs was give me more energy. I didn't lose weight or lose symptoms until I cut my carbs drastically.

Minus the baby, (gratz on the new little one btw Kenzietate) this is me. I have to stay on no more than 50 NET carbs a day or my weightloss stalls and/or i gain weight if i eat more than that. I do net carbs, because even tho fiber is a type of carb your body can not process or use it as a carb at all, so why count something your body doesnt count? I also take metformin 1000mg a day and if i go to high on carbs, it lets me know very very pointedly the next day. I need to buckle down and just do the ketogenic diet but havent been able to discipline myself to get over the two weeks of carb flu while my body adjusts from burning carbs to burning fat as energy. My symptoms are greatly reduced if i keep carbs low. Less tummy bloat, less hair loss on my head, more energy, weight loss, less painful periods, less heavy periods, etc.

I recommend reading thru many of the posts on this board before you decide which way to go with carbs. There are a few very knowledgeable people here (dragonwolf being a great source of info on PCOS diet) that can help you decide which is best for you. What works for others may or may not work for you. SOme of have great success on Low GI diets, but many of us cant do it and have to go low carb. There is a TON of helpful information in various posts here on this board. So read thru as much as you can and it will help you make more informed decisions on which diet change will work for you.

Hang in there! We can do this!
  • 103reasons
    103reasons Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a ketogenic diet, as well. I have my macros set to 10% carbs which usually averages out to less than 50g a day, depending on exercise. I don't count net carbs or pay attention to fiber. While the first week was difficult, due to sugar withdrawl, it has done wonders for my energy, skin, moods, sinuses, and I haven't had a headache since I started it (they used to be daily).
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to keep it to no more than 100-120 gm per day. I've done less than that but it seems like when I keep it in that range, I can lose weight and still have enough energy for running, etc., and not struggle so much with satiety or rebound binging.

ETA: That's total carbs, not net. I try to get a good 20-25 gm of fiber per day as well, though on lower-carb days I don't always get there.
  • cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I have mine at 40%....with my current calorie allowances that comes in at about 150g. Over a week of tracking I come pretty close to that....probably about 37% on average. I have started lifting, so am eating a bit more protein and a little less carbs. The trainer showing me how to lift would like to see me at more protein than carbs, but I'm not there yet. A lot of days they're about even percentages.

As far as weight loss, I'm doing fine at the 40%. I am insulin resistant and before I started this journey was on my way to type 2 diabetes (no recent bloodwork to see if that's improving yet), so I'm concentrating on making sure the carbs I do have are primarily low glycemic, complex carbs and not highly processed. I'm trying to keep my added sugar low.
  • Meikmeika
    Meikmeika Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I initially started out eating 150 grams a day....it was pretty easy but my weight didn't go anywhere. I then went to 100 grams and started slowly noticing a difference in how I felt. After going to 50 or less net grams a day and doing Insanity my weight is slowly but surely coming off.

I also have one cheat day where I don't count anything, which is possibly why the weight is coming off slowly.

Experiment and see what works for you. I've read many women with PCOS state reducing calories was all they needed while others carb reductions vary from 20 net grams to 200 grams.

Good Luck!!!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I usually average about 130, but my doctor wants me to stick around 100. It's pretty hard, because obviously everything good is a carb! I don't do any modifications for fiber or fat ... I do a straight carb count per day. I could eat all my carbs in Frosted Flakes, for all it matters. (And sometimes I do!)

Modifying my carb intake (which I did around the time I started 500 mg of Metformin, so it's hard to say which had the bigger impact) drastically jumpstarted my weight loss. I was losing a steady two pounds a week without exercise or any other changes.

The big trick I've found with getting the carbs down to or below 100g is to try to get them primarily from veggies, and scaling way back on things like bread and pasta. It takes a bit of a mindset adjustment, but once you start basing your carbs around veggies and pepper with grains if you want them (as opposed to the other way around), it makes life a lot easier. So, for example, instead of spaghetti, meat sauce, and garlic bread, you could do spaghetti squash, meat sauce, and garlic bread. The squash is still carby, but it's a lot of fiber, too, and still lower carb per 100g than pasta, leaving room for the bread if you want it, without obliterating your carb goals.

I'm personally a bit torn on the net vs total carbs thing, but from what I've observed of how people count things, I think if you aim for a lower number (50g or less, thereaboutes), it's easier to calculate in net, where the slightly higher ranges (around 100g) do well as total. It means there's actually some overlap between the numbers in the 40-70g range, but at that point, it's whatever works for you and your goals (and personality).

And thanks for the endorement, Alliwan! :blushing: I really need to get a couple primers up in my blog, so I'm not so much of a broken record, though!
  • SpiritBunny
    SpiritBunny Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm new here but why does the # of grams matter over your own body weight? Shouldn't there be a range based on your own height and maybe even your own amount of muscle? I ate 150 grams a day but I only ate 800 calories. It constituted 75% of my entire caloric intake, but if I was a normal functioning person and consuming 150 grams @ 2000 calories it would be only 30% of my caloric intake
  • dragonfly123321
    dragonfly123321 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I just can't seem to eat low carbs lately I know i do so much better when I do but I just crave carbs so much how do you guys eat so few !?!?
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I just can't seem to eat low carbs lately I know i do so much better when I do but I just crave carbs so much how do you guys eat so few !?!?

ive noticed that if i up the fats, the carb cravings are less. I dont know why that is. I often make something called cream cheese clouds, its basically butter and cream cheese and a flavoring whipped together. Its sweet and so tasty it helps when i just want a dessert. I use different flavorings but lemon is my favorite.

Anyway, I've heard others say that upping fats also helps the carb cravings so I dont think im the only one who feels that way.
  • sandtisch
    sandtisch Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have mine at 40%....

As far as weight loss, I'm doing fine at the 40%. I am insulin resistant , so I'm concentrating on making sure the carbs I do have are primarily low glycemic, complex carbs and not highly processed. I'm trying to keep my added sugar low.

Same over here, with my relatively high BMR, I end up at a little under 200g - and I am losing weight steadily. Most are whole grains, lots of veggies, some fruit, too.
  • numa40
    numa40 Posts: 6
    Options
    I started lowering my carbs to 80-100grams a day and started to get my period every 5 weeks. The weight was coming off slowly but steadily & I also have hypothyroidism. But, I started a ketogenic diet and lowered my carbs to 20-30grams a day and now the weight is coming off at a faster rate.
  • melodymedlin
    melodymedlin Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you've heard this before but not everyone's needs are the same. The best way I'm finding out my carb intake is to take a 2wk challenge (atkins themed). I'm eating Net 20g carbs per day. I'm starting my 2nd week tomorrow and I have to say I feel great! My hair is not falling out in globs as bad as it was; I have more energy and truthfully in just a week my acne is better. My ultimate goal is to stay below 100g carbs per day. General not Net. My sister on the other hand doesn't do low carb and sticks to whatever she feels like and eats around 200g carbs per day and seems to be loosing at less than .5lbs a week. so as I said not everyone's the same. You'll find your balance and when you do it will work!!!! Good luck. God bless~
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I'm new here but why does the # of grams matter over your own body weight? Shouldn't there be a range based on your own height and maybe even your own amount of muscle? I ate 150 grams a day but I only ate 800 calories. It constituted 75% of my entire caloric intake, but if I was a normal functioning person and consuming 150 grams @ 2000 calories it would be only 30% of my caloric intake

Unlike protein, and to a lesser extent fat, carb "needs" aren't really based on body weight. Protein is based on lean body mass, because the body needs a certain amount per pound of lean mass to keep it maintained (kind of like a budget for fixing potholes in the road, you need enough to keep the roads from turning into swiss cheese, but much more just goes to waste). Fat requires a minimum based on body weight, because the entire body requires that fat to bring in the fat-soluble nutrients and hormones.

Carbs, however, are only required for a few things -- some brain processes, and glycogen stores -- and the body can actually make what it really needs, even in the total absence of carbs. Additionally, that amount is pretty fixed, regardless of whether you're 90lbs or 390lbs. The brain only uses so many grams of glucose a day, and the body can only store about 120g of glycogen. Therefore, much more than about 150g, unless you're very active and constantly using it (high intensity or marathon level stuff), just gets converted to triglycerides and stored.

ive noticed that if i up the fats, the carb cravings are less. I dont know why that is. I often make something called cream cheese clouds, its basically butter and cream cheese and a flavoring whipped together. Its sweet and so tasty it helps when i just want a dessert. I use different flavorings but lemon is my favorite.

Anyway, I've heard others say that upping fats also helps the carb cravings so I dont think im the only one who feels that way.

This. Fat is the key. Anyone who reads my posts knows what I'm about to say -- carbs and fat are fuel, protein is not. The biggest sustainability issue most people have has to do with the fact that they mistakenly increase protein when dropping carbs and leaving fat low. This is very, very bad, for many, many reasons, the least of which being the insatiable cravings (the biggest reason is protein poisoning, or "rabbit starvation").

That's why the recommended method is typically ketogenic-leaning -- low carb, moderate protein, high fat. When you drop your carbs, you must raise your fat, so that your body has a sufficient fuel source. Yes, that means scary high numbers for both the percent and gram numbers (60-75% or more and around 100g isn't uncommon), but it's only scary because we've been indoctrinated to believe that fat is bad when it really isn't.

If you're getting sufficient fat, then the cravings may also be due to just starting out. There's an induction phase, where your body has to get used to running on fewer dietary carbs. It's basically withdrawal, and your body has a hissy fit accordingly. Stick it out, feed it well, get lots of water and rest, and it will pass in 1-3 weeks, depending on what your diet was previously.