Eat To Perform

Options
abbyrae1
abbyrae1 Posts: 265 Member
Anyone else doing ETP? How long, how has it been going? Did you have a hard time hitting your numbers?

I started in January but I haven't been very diligent about my nutrition (or at least not as diligent as I should be). Any advice?

Replies

• wiginn
    wiginn Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I just started last Wednesday. I am still trying to wrap my head around the updated macros! I don't seem to have a problem hitting my carb & fat numbers, but protein is another story. I told myself that I would give it a good go through Easter and then see where I'm at.

Have you read the books? I am about halfway through Metabolic Flexibility. What I've read so far makes sense.....
  • rla099
    rla099 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I am thinking about doing it. I would like to read any input also.
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    What are the macros like on ETP? And how often does it say you need to exercise in order for it to be effective??
  • abbyrae1
    abbyrae1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    What are the macros like on ETP? And how often does it say you need to exercise in order for it to be effective??

The macros vary by person based on your BF% but the basic concept of the program is to not diet and eat like an athlete, i.e. your calorie intake isn't reduced to 1200 calories, you eat a combination of fats, proteins, and carbs to properly fuel your workouts. For example, my calories are 2320, 174g protein, 220g carbs, 90g fat (roughly) and then on rest days I drop my carbs down to about 120g

I love the concept of the program but I fear I'm not doing it effectively yet... I regularly miss my carb/protein intake numbers so I was just looking to see if anyone else is having the same issues.
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Oh, OK. I am eating paleo right now and I watch my macros pretty closely for performance. Sounds like a similar mindset for ETP. :smile:
  • jordymils
    jordymils Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I started ETP at the start of February. My goals are to lift heavier, move faster and train better, and to lose some body fat while I'm at it. My lifts have definitely gotten stronger but it's way too early for body recomp changes just yet. I got a bodpod done at the start of March, so 1 month after starting ETP, and will get another one in June to check in after 3 months.
    Thus far, I love it. I'm eating more carbs than I have in a LONG time and I feel great in the gym every day. No foods are restricted or shunned - it's all about meeting your macros with foods and timings that work for you.

Macros are different for everyone depending on your stats and body comp, type/intensity/regularity of your training, etc etc. But to give you an example, on my double training days I'm at around 50% carbs, 25% protein and 25% fat, single training days carbs are a bit lower and rest days carbs are much lower. Would highly recommend checking it out to anyone that is interested. It's not free, but it's well worth the money in my opinion :)

Ascrit - they're not massive fans of paleo over at ETP but mainly coz most paleo-followers tend to be VERY low carb, which doesn't work for most people when trying to get stronger. That said, if you eat a decent amount of carbs from paleo sources like sweet potato, then you should be fine.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I have posted this blog if anyone wants to see my ETP challenge results! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/kellyemontana

I have links to photos.
  • jordymils
    jordymils Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I have posted this blog if anyone wants to see my ETP challenge results! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/kellyemontana

I have links to photos.

You look awesome, well done!! Love that there's more people in here flying the ETP banner :)
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    ^^Excellent job!