Paid vs Free Dating Sites

Options
Follow_me
Follow_me Posts: 6,120 Member
I'm curious about your opinion. Do you think people on the paid dating sites are more serious about finding somebody than somebody on a free site? To me, it stands to reason that if someone were paying they would be more proactive in finding someone. Thoughts?

Replies

• sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    in my experience, they are both the same. I've seen fraud accounts on both. I've seen the same people on both. I've seen rude people on both. I've seen nice people on both. I've seen weird people on both. get the point??? I know people who have found their significant others on paid sites, not on free sites. I, myself, am still searching, although not very diligently or actively.
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    I used to think that too. But when I saw the exact same guys on both, I then questioned it.

I could probably sum paid sites up in a very bitter sounding few bullets:
    - Its got lots of guys who have lots of money to "spare" meaning they really aren't interested or invested in finding someone, but the ad looked good.
    - It's FULL of profiles of those that signed up during the "free" week and have 1 - never touched thier profile again, or 2 - go to it to see who's viewed them, but won't pay to actually have the ability to communicate. YOU DO NOT KNOW THE DIFFERENCE!!!!!

I've paid for Match.com, and I'm just getting frustrated with it. I know I'm fluffy that is a big X on me (don't take that negatively, it's just honestly), but otherwise I dunno, I should probably put my profile out to you guys and have you critique it. See what I'm doing that's blatently serving as repellent. LOL
  • krash999
    krash999 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    i have a free profile currently, but in the past, i actually met someone on a paid site. sure, i'm having the same luck getting people to contact me back on the free site as i did on the paid site, but this way i'm not spending money i don't have to be ignored.... :laugh:
  • Follow_me
    Options
    Excellent point!

" It's FULL of profiles of those that signed up during the "free" week and have 1 - never touched thier profile again, or 2 - go to it to see who's viewed them, but won't pay to actually have the ability to communicate. YOU DO NOT KNOW THE DIFFERENCE!!!!!"

I never considered that. I just figured since people were paying, they would be less likely to "play games". But I see not all pay.
  • sweetcurlz67
    Options
    OH my GOSH!!! NOOOOO.... doesn't matter if they pay or NOT!!! They PLAY GAMES! Holy Moly! Even if they DID pay for a month, 6, or whatever! Can you tell I've had some wackos??? Even on the paid sites. That's part of why I'm laying low for a while, even though I still have paid sites sitting out there. AND... I guess it doesn't matter if it's a man or a woman from the stories I've heard. I experience the crazy wacko men and some of them tell me the crazy women stories.
  • farmers_daughter
    Options
    sooooooooo frustrating. :)
  • Moe4572
    Moe4572 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I thought that paid sites would be better, but ALOT of the same people on both.........myself included!
  • Follow_me
    Options
    Hmmm.... there's gotta be something better. lol
  • grum84
    grum84 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I have never been on a paid site, so can't say much in regards to them.

I have had decent luck on the free site, okcupid. Aside from a couple of crazies and quite a few first/second dates, I did have a 8 month and a year relationship off of it. Of course, both of those women had messaged me first.

As far as women that I message first, probably only have a 10% success rate of them responding to my message, and lower of ever meeting in person. So like it was already stated above, not going to bother to pay to have my messages ignored.
  • grum84
    grum84 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I've paid for Match.com, and I'm just getting frustrated with it. I know I'm fluffy that is a big X on me (don't take that negatively, it's just honestly), but otherwise I dunno, I should probably put my profile out to you guys and have you critique it. See what I'm doing that's blatently serving as repellent. LOL

We have critiqued other profiles and provided constructive feedback before on here. But if you are going to do that, be prepared for honest feedback and don't hate the group after.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    In my experience, I met the most freaks on Match.com and had 2 relationship from free sites.

I dont think paying makes you more serious, at all! :indifferent:
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Never had an account on a paid site and probably never will. As a few other guys have said, why pay to be ignored when it can be done for free?
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    In my experience the paid sites are generally better with more serious people. that said, I think it depends on the website.

I had great experience with E-Harmony. met my fiance on there. Noone I talked with would flake out on a date, ask about hooking up, etc. but not all of them were for me either. That's the name of the game though.

On match, I also paid, but found it no better than POF.

I really believe area, age, etc. play a role.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    Well rejoined match as so far the only guy that messaged me was a guy that had messaged me on POF and we did not hit it off.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

Maybe MFP? :wink:
  • sweetcurlz67
    Options

Maybe MFP? :wink:

I have seen several couples hook up here! :flowerforyou:
  • Follow_me
    Options
    Hell, I'm game. POF isn't working. lol
  • farmers_daughter
    Options
    Soooo...where YOU from darling!!! BAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA. I shouldn't laugh. I know I've seen plenty on here awful friendly. :heart:
  • Follow_me
    Options
    A long way from IA. :frown:
  • CountryGal83
    CountryGal83 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I have been on and off POF for awhile. Met some great guys...met some not so great guys. I've recently joined Match and I am not finding it to be much different than POF. Thankfully it's just for a month and was only $15...but wanted to try a paid site. A good friend of mine's sister actually met her now husband on Christian Mingle. So who knows. I'm still waiting for my Prince Charming :)