Epidurals

Options
Erindolly
Erindolly Posts: 35 Member
I am trying to decide if I want to have an epidural or brave it and go without. I have read about the pros and cons. Has anyone experienced both? I am curious what ladies on here have personally experienced.

Replies

• usernameMAMA
    usernameMAMA Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Well...I was all about having an epidural with my first. No questions asked, I wanted it. Turns out labor really isn't predictable and I ended up getting my beloved epidural about 15 minutes before I pushed him out so in reality I might as well have gone without it. The nurse refused to give it to me when I asked because the doctor wasn't in yet and according to the monitors my contractions weren't that big. It happened to be that the nurse didn't have the monitor hooked up correctly and it wasn't reading my contractions right. The epidural finally kicked in in time for the afterbirth and stitches:/ Not helpful at all. I realized that I could do it without and was no worse for the wear however, I will be telling my doctor this time to put in big bold red letters all across my chart that I get an epidural when I ask for it! Also, I will not have that same dismissive nurse this time around.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I was always more scared to have an epidural than give birth without! The idea of a needle in my spine scares me. Also, with epidurals I've heard you can't feel to push so are more likely to tear.

I've had 3 children and each time used a tens machine and had gas and air. I had my third baby last week and used the birthing pool for a while first. She was back to back so it was more painful, but it is doable! I had her on a midwife-lead unit so the only pain relief options were gas and air and pethidine. With my first baby I arrived at hospital 10cm dilated so had a bit of gas and air for pushing.

I didn't need stitches with any of them either. Being able to feel to push and control it must help.

Obviously every labour is different though, and I can understand how if you have a really long labour you might want an epidural. My labours have been (from start to finish) 7 hours, 4 hours 21 mins (induced) and around 10 hours.
  • Pascal56
    Pascal56 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I had an epidural with my first. I got it about 16 hours into labor (I labored at home a long time before I could be admitted to the hospital and get the epi). The pain relief was lovely. Unfortunately I reacted poorly to it, had a blood pressure drop and other complications and ended up with a c/s a few hours later. So for my next kid, I decided to try going without the epidural in the hopes of achieving a vaginal birth. I used HypnoBabies to manage pain and it worked out beautifully. I had a 30 hour labor completely naturally and got my VBAC. So I used HypnoBabies again for my 3rd child. It did not work as well this time and labor was definitely tougher. I asked for an epidural after 32 hours. While I was waiting, I felt the baby move down the birth canal and swore to myself I would tell NO ONE because I wanted my epi and I knew they wouldn't give it to me LOL. With the next contraction, however, I started grunting and they knew I was pushing. By then contractions had spread back out a bit anyway and it was easier to cope, so finishing it all up naturally (it took just one more hour) worked out pretty well and I was happy that I didn't get the epidural.

Getting one or not is a very personal decision. Just remember that even if you decide you want the epi, learn some coping techniques so you can deal before getting the epi or if it doesn't work. Good luck!
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I've done both - I had an epidural with my first and did not have one with my second. I wanted one with the second but he came too fast - they did not have time to do one!
    Labor with my daughter was almost 12 hours and I kept getting stuck. I would not have wanted to do that one without an epidural. With my son, the contractions were very, very painful but like I said, I had no choice. The thing is, labor doesn't last forever so you know it will end and it isn't that terrible. But I'm not going to lie, giving birth without an epidural is painful! When I read about women in labor for a day or two, I can't imagine doing that without an epidural.
    The major difference between them was that I felt much, much better after the birth without the epidural. I got up and walked to the bathroom on my own only like a half an hour after he was born. With my daughter I didn't have feeling in my legs for hours and I could not walk to the bathroom or whatever. I also had much more energy after the no-epidural birth.
    I can tell you that with an epidural you CAN feel to push. You feel the pressure from the baby's head but you don't have pain at all. I tore slightly with both babies. I might've torn a little more with the first than the second.
    If I had to do it all over again, I would've wanted to have one with my daughter and not have one with my son (which is what happened, although not by choice). If I knew my labor would be short, I would definitely not want one. If I knew it would be long, I would definitely want one though! Since no one has any way of knowing, my best advice is see how you are feeling at the time. They offer it to you when you're about 4 cm so you can make the final choice then.
  • Pascal56
    Options
    Deleted--accidental duplication.
  • justinskitty
    justinskitty Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have only had one so far but I was all about all the meds possible. I live in the USA and they don't do gas here. Or birthing pools. I wish they did. I did just switch hospitals so I could birth how I want. The last hospital made you birth on your back. No ifs ands or buts. My new one will let you do any stance and they will be there to catch. They just don't have water birth capabilities. I wish they did...

Anyway this time around I'm trying for no drugs. First of all the pain meds they give you to start with are lame. They do nothing to help. By the time I got to the hospital I had been in labor for 24 hours and I was ready for a break. It offered none. The epidural was amazing! The guy that did mine made it painless and simple. I have had no side effects at all. I have nothing bad to say about that one.

I will say that if you plan to breast feed the drugs do pass to the baby. They are a bit groggy and it makes it harder to get started. We nursed for 13 months so it didn't stop us but it just gave us another hurdle. With 2 bouts of mastitis we didn't need more hurdles.

I'm trying to stay drug free for this one. Try is the key word. Labor has a way of doing what it wants and plans are easly thrown aside. Just make sure to tell your doctor what you want every time you go in. They write it on your chart and keep all the nurses informed. Have a birth plan on paper to bring with you. If they know what you want it's easier to help you.
  • Pascal56
    Options
    Some hospitals do have birth tubs, but they tend to be limited (not one in each room) and are only for labor, not delivery, which sucks. Also, I never got the IV drugs before getting the epi--I see no reason to do them. From all accounts they make you loopy but don't help with the pain and they get passed on to the baby. So I always figured epi or nothing LOL.

I'm sorry your first hospital wouldn't let you birth in alternate positions. I mean, I guess you could've told them to f*** off because what are they going to do? But it's so hard to be that assertive during labor (personally I get very suggestible and compliant) and no one should have to fight like that while they are trying to give birth.
  • jigenigma
    jigenigma Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I was all about a fully "natural" pregnancy the first time--didn't expose myself to strange chemicals (nail polishes, hair colors, etc.), ate super healthy, exercised, and was determined to have a drug free birth. My husband and I took a bunch of birthing classes too. About 2 weeks before I went on maternity leave, we had a new receptionist at work--she was also a trained doula. She told me the most surprising thing--she told me--if you need to take the pain meds, just take them! You will be able to enjoy your labor more and there is no "shame" in it. (this from a doula, I know!)
    So, I went into labor on a Monday and labored at home using yoga and breathing and all that stuff--and finally got to the hospital on Tuesday and dealt with the pain until about 7 centimeters and which point a took the epidural. At the hospital I went to, the patient has the ability to control the amount of medicine given--so if it hurts a lot--press the button and they will give more (to a certain point). While I had the minimal dose of medicine going into me, I didn't press the button and so I felt quite a bit and was able to push when the time came.
    My baby was born on a Wednesday and I have to admit, taking the epidural was a good choice for me.
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    With my first I was so young (18) and naive. I didn't do any research or pondering, just did what everyone else told me to do. I had pitosin, epidural and more interventions that were, frankly, completely unnecessary.
    This time, I did my research. I believe laboring on my back, having the epidural and other things contributed to my 'failure to progress' which, in turn, had them upping the pitosin, force dilating me and trying to force labor. I went through two different epidurals during my very very long labor and when it came time to push, they had worn off completely anyways and they would not give me more. My first labor was a mess and everything I am reading now tells me that it all could have been prevented. My labor ended in a Csection, which was also not medically necessary! My baby's heart rate was fine, nobody was under stress, there was no reason I should not have been allowed to continue trying. The doctor's were simply impatient and talked me into it, just like they did everything else! - like I said, young and stupid.
    If you have truly done your research on epidural, then I am not sure why you would want one. The risks are super scary and they don't help labor at all, they are merely a means to not feel so much. And, as others have said, not being able to feel can cause problems too.

This time around, I will not have any of it. No epidural, no pitosin, no force dilation, no medical intervention that is not completely necessary and absolutely no Csection. We were designed to give birth and we are perfectly capable.
  • Erindolly
    Erindolly Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for sharing your experiences--reading your stories is really helpful. My preference would be to go without an epi, but of course, I am afraid of having one of those crazy long painful births. I am going to start the discussion about a birth plan with my doctor tomorrow, so all of your suggestions are very helpful.
  • Pascal56
    Options
    Erindolly, I may not have emphasized it that much in my first post but I really highly recommend HypnoBabies. Even though it didn't work as well for me the second time (I think because I listened to it over speakers instead of earbuds so it was easier to lose focus) it still helped immensely. And I rocked it the first time I used it. It helps so much with building confidence/reducing fear and with pain relief.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for sharing your experiences--reading your stories is really helpful. My preference would be to go without an epi, but of course, I am afraid of having one of those crazy long painful births. I am going to start the discussion about a birth plan with my doctor tomorrow, so all of your suggestions are very helpful.

Bear in mind that births do not always go to plan though. I haven't written a plan for any of mine, although actually I've been lucky to have the births I wanted.

I live in England, and I think we have a different way of doing things here. Babies are delivered by midwives. The only doctor you see (unless you have difficulties) is the paediatrician who checks your baby after birth. C-sections are for emergencies usually, although you can have one if your baby is breech or you've had a previous emcs.

You can deliver in a birthing pool, although most maternity units will only have one. I delivered my daughter at a midwifery unit, so t wasn't too busy, so I got to use the pool. I didn't give birth in it though as things weren't progressing fast enough, so I got out. It really helped with the pain though. I must've been around 7cm when I got gas and air too, and maybe 8/9cm when I got out.

It is painful giving birth with just a bit of gas and air, but it's temporary pain. As soon as the baby is out, the pain ends. And then you're drug free and can move about. I had a bath in the birthing pool after with my baby, it was lovely.
  • mrsomeara
    mrsomeara Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I had an epidural with my son and my birth was fantastic!! I was calm and pain free. I progressed VERY quickly (we checked in at 7:30 that morning and he was born before 2 that afternoon - that is pretty quick for a FTM). I could still feel my legs and feet, roll over on my own and I felt the urge to push. I was up walking in no time. It was a perfect and beautiful experience for me. But every labor is different.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I had a TERRIBLE epi experience with my first! They couldn't get the needle in correctly for some reason, so it was literally 30 minutes of them jamming this huge needle into my spine all while I was contracting and my blood pressure spiking high. Finally they decided to give up on the epi and they gave me fentanyl instead, but that made me itchy as hell so that was all I could think about was how itchy I was. Then fentanyl doesn't last long, and they can't do it again because of the risk of spinal headaches so by the time labor got really intense it had totally worn off anyway.

So I decided to go drug-free the next time around. And it was wonderful, I wouldn't have had it any other way. I had a water birth that still makes me smile to think about. Then my 3rd child was born natural and drug-free as well (although he was born so quickly that I wouldn't have had time for drugs anyway).

I am planning on yet another drug-free labor this time around. :)
  • lina011
    lina011 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Had a epi with my first .... Yep low pain tolerance here lol I went fine no trouble at all I more freaked out about gettn a catheter than the epi, I could still feel my feet so I was numb from like tummy ankles . I'd like to see if I can go without this time round, I was induced with first so it hit me all at once , bad thing is the gas made me feel like a frigin space cadet kwim" ,
  • brilliantwords
    brilliantwords Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm currently TTC my first, and I've done my research on epidurals, and it TERRIFIES me, but so does the pain of going natural. Thanks for all the input... it's helpful for me as well since I'm trying to decide. The idea of the needle in my back, as well as a catheter freak me out more than the pain of a natural birth, even though I have a fairly low pain tolerance.

I think I'm going to PLAN on a natural birth, but like many people say, plans can change depending on how it goes. I want to be able to walk around as much as possible, and be free to go to the bathroom, etc, which I can't do with an epidural. I also want to be able to move around shortly afterwards. It might be worth the temporary pain to feel better once the baby is out.

Also, my sister in law has had chronic back pain for years since her first baby, and she's just beginning to wonder if it was caused by the epidural she had because they couldn't get it right... it took them a while. She also said it's in the same area of her back. That scares me more... having long term pain in order to get out of temporary pain.

I know it works amazing for some women, but then there's always that risk of complications and slowing down labor. I'd be worrying too much. :(
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    With my first the plan was to go all natural, no epi, no pitosin, labor at home as long as possible.... The hospital where I delivered (Army base) was all for the natural approach as they recognize that natural births with as little intervention as possible gets their military moms back to work faster lol. I can't argue their way of thinking because I didn't have to fight for anything I wanted like I would have had to in a civilian hospital in town. I had a doula and had all my appointments with, and would be delivered by, a midwife; they only had you see an OB/GYN if you were high-risk or needing a medically-necessary c-section.

Almost 42 weeks I went in for a stress test just to show she was still doing good and they did a quick check and told me to hang around while they went to see what the OB/GYN on call wanted them to do - apparently I was 7 cm and didn't even know it! I was admitted at 4:30pm (had been having light contractions since midnight) and come early afternoon the next day I caved and got an epidural - almost 36 hours and a liquid diet insisted upon by the hospital made me weak, exhausted and (as I found out after the fact) my pelvis is heart shaped so even though she was in the right position the lower back pain was excrutiating! They gave me a walking epi so I could still feel my legs and change positions to labor, and I could still feel enough to push. The technician who gave me the epi was fantastic! He timed it for between contractions and other than the initial prick I didn't feel any pain and by the the second contraction the pain was gone.

I'll still try for all-natural, no epi for the next one, and hopefully they'll have the birthing pools installed this go around (they'd just received them but hadn't set anything up in any room for the first) so that will help with the pain. But knowing that pregnancies don't always go as we hope, I won't rule out another epi if needed. I just hope the same technician is there if I need it ;)
  • meggwyn
    meggwyn Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Though I would have preferred to go all natural, both of my previous births were inductions. With my first, I was 41 weeks and induced for pregnancy related hypertension. I was fine with the pitocen contractions (for 12 hours), but once they broke my water, the contractions were SO intense and never let up. I was forced to lay on my side, too, b/c of my blood pressure. After 4 hours, (and no progress...I was stuck at 4cm), I got an epi and I'm so glad i did! I was pushing 3 1/2 hrs later! 20 minutes of pushing, I could feel to push very easily, and she was right out! I think the epi let my body relax enough to fully dilate. I was clenched so tightly before, fighting every contraction. I didn't understand how contractions work, etc

I ended up being induced with my second as well, against my will. (my bp was fine, but they were saying I had pre-e anyway b/c of my history and one slightly higher reading). I did the pitocin again and magnesium (which slows down ctx...pretty stupid!) confined to bed with catheters and iv's for 24 hours...stalled at 5cm. When they told me they were going to break my water, I asked for an epi ahead of time bc I didn't want to go through what I did the last itime, since I'd been confined to a bed for the past 24 hours and knew I wouldn't be able to move and had no doula or anything. (Another big mistake!) The epi seemed different than the once I had the first time. I felt like I couldn't breathe and it only kind of numbed one side of my body. As much as I didn't like it, I'm glad I got it b/c I could still feel everything, so I know it would have been ten times more painful without. Within 3 hours of breaking my water, I was pushing and again, it took a little less than a half hour to get her out. I could still feel to push. I was up within a short time and using the bathroom afterwards, too.

This time, I'm having a home birth. If I was having a hospital induction with lots of interventions, I'm sure I would get an epi again. But since I should be able to progress on my own and move to labor, I think I should be able to manage the pain just fine! There is no shame in getting an epi if you need one! Its great if you don't need one, too. :)
  • shreddin_mama
    shreddin_mama Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    I didn't want the epidural with my first. But after experiencing active labor for quite some time i changed my mind. But my baby girl decided to come before anesthesia. With my second i knew i could go without and she was a 8 hour labor and i delivered with no epidural. My hospital allows you to feel the pressure so you know when it's close to pushing and takes away the contractions from what they say. With this pregnancy/labor i plan on going without but have my mind open if i am headed for a long days and nights.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,812 Member
    Options
    my labors were to fast for epidurals but i got an intrathical with all 3, and never again, they ****ed up the last one, and I felt everything then had a spinal migrain for 3 days then it caused an aweful vertigo attack that lasted a week, not risking it this time