how to lose weight and play any game.

Options
evilstarburst
evilstarburst Posts: 47 Member
Lots of people are gaming so much they become professionals and even have in game houses. Many of us might have that common goal so I ask what helps them achieve such a high goal? It starts with their attitude than diet. Every morning most game houses work out, meditate and eat healthy. Your gaming wilm improve more as well if you are taking care of yourself. Most of us have a heavy addiction to our games so we keep putting it to the side. Plan your meals ahead. Work out in the morning when you firdt wake up, eat breakfast play some games take a break and take care of yourself physically so you can progress mentally. 30 minutes a day is all you need. I would like to hear more people throw in some advice or what their work out life, job, school and stress I want to know how other people find time for games a working out.

Replies

• Crateria_
    Crateria_ Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    As soon as I get off work, before I turn on any game or tv show, I drop down on my mat and exercise. Or dance my *kitten* off with some Zumba. If I am in a total rush and just really want to play a game, I at least do a 20 minute session. There's -always- time for exercise.
  • sarrajune
    sarrajune Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Agreed! The time is never there, you have to create it :)
  • xxghost
    xxghost Posts: 4,697 Member
    Options
    Last summer, I bought a brand new gaming computer.

I told myself that for every hour I exercise, I can play Star Wars: The Old Republic for two hours. It didn't have to be daily, but my total gaming time had to be exactly double my exercise time by the end of every week, or I had to exercise more to make up for it.

I dropped 20 pounds.
  • plumwd
    plumwd Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I may have to implement something like that @xxghost. The problem is I am ALWAYS on the computer. Even if I'm not gaming I'm on the computer.

I work at home as a web developer so it's too easy to just be working a lot.

I need to make the time. I need to make the time. Failed miserably at it this week.
  • nicca_jb
    nicca_jb Posts: 1,278 Member
    Options
    I may have to implement something like that @xxghost. The problem is I am ALWAYS on the computer. Even if I'm not gaming I'm on the computer.

I need to make the time. I need to make the time. Failed miserably at it this week.

I work at home and game from the same damn chair, lol! That said, I've been pushing myself to get up and out and doing things at least once a day, if not more. I'm going to start timing.

@xxghost, I used to play TOR. Gave it up when I hated endgame.

Currently beta testing Wildstar (it's open beta now, if anyone is interested) and playing other Blizz stuff: HS, mostly. I don't let myself log on unless I know I've been active already. I don't have a timing system down, but it's a great idea. After all, I'm motivated by rewards. :)
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Walking while playing games is great! I set up a treadmill in my basement with an Xbox 360 right in front of it. It was so successful that I also decided to hook my gaming laptop up to the TV there. I bought a wooden board, attached some padding to the bottom of it, and put it across the treadmill's handles to place my keyboard and mouse. If only I had this setup back when I was addicted to WoW . . .
  • sarrajune
    sarrajune Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Walking while playing games is great! I set up a treadmill in my basement with an Xbox 360 right in front of it. It was so successful that I also decided to hook my gaming laptop up to the TV there. I bought a wooden board, attached some padding to the bottom of it, and put it across the treadmill's handles to place my keyboard and mouse. If only I had this setup back when I was addicted to WoW . . .

This could change my life. I need a treadmill.
  • ncrugbyprop
    ncrugbyprop Posts: 96 Member
    Options

You, sir, are a genius.
  • Kevin_Rex
    Kevin_Rex Posts: 127 Member
    Options

I hear that! I'm sitting at my desk/at a computer the majority of the day... and I'm an avid PC gamer so there's more sitting in a chair. Last year I put gaming aside and worked out - losing 40 lbs in the long run. Missed gaming, however, so jumped back in - and in the process gained some of the weight back :(

This time around, I am balancing out my schedule: wake up at 5:30am and game 'til 7am. I work out in the evenings between 7-9 and, like others here, beat it into my brain that there's no gaming if no workout. (Like xxghost) It's worked out so far and the balance is really keeping me motivated and focused.

Keeping my MFP Friends motivated and having them motivate me, and holding myself accountable by posting everything, is a huge part of staying the course as well.

I don't have many MFP Friends that are gamers so if anyone wants an additional Friend on their list that understands what DPS is, hit me up.
  • Kevin_Rex
    Kevin_Rex Posts: 127 Member
    Options

You, sir, are a genius.

Agree!
  • gspwillow
    gspwillow Posts: 8
    Options
    I barely have the mental focus or the physical energy to even sit at my PC after going to the gym! After work, gym, making dinner...all I want to do is crawl into bed and watch some Netflix!

My gaming time has decreased significantly since I started working out. I used to game for 4-5 hours a night during the week and easily 10-12 hours a day on weekends...now I'm lucky if I can log 5 hours all week..and that's counting playing Hearthstone on my iPad!

I get my fix by logging into my friends Vent servers or watching twitch while I cook dinner!
  • Abnersama
    Abnersama Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I work a 3pm to 11pm shift so my social life is fairly nonexistant - But that means I get to worry about myself first with very little influences from the outside.

When I get home, I chill out and put away my lunchbox, unpack any other junk I have and listen to a song or two and then head right back out for a nice walk at night. I put my health first before fun. :) There'll be plenty of time to play one of my hundreds of games on Steam, but for all I know tomorrow it's going to rain - So why not be healthy now right?!

I eat on a schedule as well, so i'm sure that helps. The biggest work stress on me is when we have catering from time to time. It's usually just a platter of 3" Subway subs so it isn't super bad and I can track it at the least!
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I would say, limit gaming time, and try not to eat while gaming.

I would also say, try to avoid games which need you to devote long periods of time - MMOs in particular. I had a break from MMOs when I first started losing weight, and switched to games that I could save and quit after a short play. (Of course, you can quit MMOs, but it's easier to get caught up). I haven't followed my own advice and have now gone back to MMOs, but I try to be careful. It's so easy to sit down and then realise 2 hours or more have gone.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

You, sir, are a genius.

Agree!

Well I can't take all the credit. I got the idea from this guy:
    http://wow.joystiq.com/2008/09/16/15-minutes-of-fame-lean-and-mean-with-wow/

The only change I made was using a flat screen TV about 5 feet away.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    We are doing a squat challenge at my gym where you try to accumulate 30 minutes per day in as deep a squat as you can get. The idea is to eventually be able to sit in a squat for ten minutes straight.

Once I can do a minute or so at a time (right now its about 30 seconds before I need to stand) I will do it when I'm playing. Eye level is pretty much the same with TV and maybe being distracted will keep me down there longer than I would do thinking about it.
  • IlluminatedMayhem
    Options
    I'm just starting my weight loss journey so I don't know if it will work but my current plan starting tomorrow is this:

P90X video when my husband get home from work in the mornings.
    Spend time with husband and kids until husband is ready for bed.
    At nap time clean up the house.
    Afternoon take kids for walk
    And then after bed time is WoW time. No snacking while gaming unless it is measured, logged and doesn't go over budget and set alarm so I go to bed a decent hour instead of losing track of time. The kids usually go to bed fairly early so I can probably log 2-3 hours and still get 8 hours sleep. Even if the baby wakes twice during the night.
  • evilstarburst
    evilstarburst Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    that is indeed a very good idea :)
  • ChristineRoze
    ChristineRoze Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I took a break from playing games for about a month to kick start some motivation :P Now i make sure i do my hour workout after i wake up before doing anything else .. count my calories and make sure the house is clean etc before i play a game
  • muckfoot
    muckfoot Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have to seperate my exercise and gaming time, I go to the gym before work three times a week and I usually only play video games at night.

My game time has dramtically decreased recently, although this is largely due to having two very young children and no sleep, so whereas I would previously sink hours into an RPG or MMO (FFXIV was my choice of game for a while) I now choose smaller, more linear games - most recently I plugged in the ol' Dreamcast and played around half an hour of Dynamite Cop!
  • randomworldgirl
    randomworldgirl Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I just suspended my FFXIV account literally a few hours ago because I haven't been playing and it seems like a waste of money. The only thing I really have time for lately is a match of Dota2 a few nights a week. Weekends are better, I have more time, but I'm finding that I am more restless and don't really want to sit inside playing games all day anymore.