Last night's episode (SPOILERS)...

Options
SapiensPisces
SapiensPisces Posts: 1,001 Member
was crazy/awesome.

There seem to be more and more departures from the books, but I kinda like it.

Oh, and Jon Snow is awesome.

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I wish this group was more active ...

I'm not loving the book departures. It makes me concerned that the things in the books that seem important just aren't and I'm concerned this is going to go the way of Lost and I'm just going to be angry.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I haven't gotten that far in the books so I don't really know far off they are becoming... But I don't mind the departures so much when it comes to film/tv adaptations...

Anyway... the whole Lyssa, Petyr and Robin thing just kinda creeped me out... I wanted to throw Lyssa and Robin out of the moon window.
  • rml_16
    Options
    I haven't gotten that far in the books so I don't really know far off they are becoming... But I don't mind the departures so much when it comes to film/tv adaptations...

Anyway... the whole Lyssa, Petyr and Robin thing just kinda creeped me out... I wanted to throw Lyssa and Robin out of the moon window.

• rml_16
    Options
    Anyway ... one thing that bothered me is in the books, Littlefinger says Sansa is his newly-discovered *kitten* daughter. I'm pretty sure he's an only child and has never been married and people in Westeros would know that, so how does he have a niece? It's such an unnecessary departure and messes with continuity. Those are the things that annoy me most.
  • k8blujay2
    Options
    Yeah but unless you have read the books that little detail would have been kinda hard to pick up on...
  • rml_16
    Options
    Yeah but unless you have read the books that little detail would have been kinda hard to pick up on...
    I know, but it's still the case. There have been several things I've noticed that deviate from established history -- even established-in-the-show history.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    And deviate without a reason. Some deviations I think worked, but ... why ... this??
  • Banannafish512
    Banannafish512 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    that whole creepy Oedipal thing is missing with Sansa being LF's niece rather than his daughter.

LF's whole history is obsessed with wanting to be like Brandon/Ned Stark, because he feels HE should have got the girl (Cat). In the books, he looks at Sansa and says something along the lines "You should have been my daughter, if I had married Cat." Not that it stops him from kissing Sansa as he sees her as Cat too.

It's so so creepy, but I agree the niece thing is puzzling? People know LF doesn't have siblings, so they'd know he was lying and then would want to know why, and the lie unravels. Come on D &D! Think it through!
  • rml_16
    Options
    that whole creepy Oedipal thing is missing with Sansa being LF's niece rather than his daughter.

LF's whole history is obsessed with wanting to be like Brandon/Ned Stark, because he feels HE should have got the girl (Cat). In the books, he looks at Sansa and says something along the lines "You should have been my daughter, if I had married Cat." Not that it stops him from kissing Sansa as he sees her as Cat too.

It's so so creepy, but I agree the niece thing is puzzling? People know LF doesn't have siblings, so they'd know he was lying and then would want to know why, and the lie unravels. Come on D &D! Think it through!
    Especially with how much she looks like Cat. They would totally figure it out.

I know people are pretty isolated in that world, but the Starks and Tullys are well-known and enough people know them well enough from before that it would be so easy to figure out.
  • k8blujay2
    Options
    I guess I just haven't gotten that far in the books to be annoyed with the deviation... even then I want to rewatch the series...

note to self: get the password for our cable provider so I can watch HBO on my phone again.
  • rml_16
    Options
    I guess I just haven't gotten that far in the books to be annoyed with the deviation... even then I want to rewatch the series...

note to self: get the password for our cable provider so I can watch HBO on my phone again.

The first two seasons nearly exactly follow the books. Season 3 starts going off into weird changes and this season is getting worse.

I'm sticking with it to see what happens. Someone told me they only want to do 6 or 7 seasons total. With the book lengths, they're going to have to cut a lot out and really rush the ending. That isn't a good sign.
  • k8blujay2
    Options

The first two seasons nearly exactly follow the books. Season 3 starts going off into weird changes and this season is getting worse.

I'm sticking with it to see what happens. Someone told me they only want to do 6 or 7 seasons total. With the book lengths, they're going to have to cut a lot out and really rush the ending. That isn't a good sign.

Reading the books after watching the show, I can see that book one is pretty close to the first season... that's why it is making it such an easy read for me. But I think they would do the series a disservice to cut it to only 6 or 7 seasons if they are starting to show one book in 2 seasons... this isn't Merlin (which I hated the end of by the way) where they have a clear time line of how many seasons they want to do and are pretty much using a blank slate.
  • rml_16
    Options

Reading the books after watching the show, I can see that book one is pretty close to the first season... that's why it is making it such an easy read for me. But I think they would do the series a disservice to cut it to only 6 or 7 seasons if they are starting to show one book in 2 seasons... this isn't Merlin (which I hated the end of by the way) where they have a clear time line of how many seasons they want to do and are pretty much using a blank slate.
    I don't even get WHY they would want to cut it short. The show is a goldmine. Ratings through the roof and it's not the kind of show people abandon. WE WANT TO KNOW!!!!
  • k8blujay2
    Options

Aaaannnnnndddd there she went.
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

GOT13.gif
  • k8blujay2
    Options
    I totally looked forward to that... and now that I am reading the books from the beginning, I have started to see all the flaws in Lysa's stories... and it was weird in last nights show, when the Hound was telling Arya last night about how his brother burned his face... he had told Sansa that all the way in the first half of book one, so I already knew the story...

Except I need to get the password to HBO to go so I can rewatch last nights episode... my husband skipped through the part where Daario got naked (I don't know what happened after that)... and apparently he doesn't like the Melisandre plot line either and doesn't see the value of it...
  • rml_16
    Options

It was SO hard not to tell you!!! lol
  • rml_16
    Options
    I totally looked forward to that... and now that I am reading the books from the beginning, I have started to see all the flaws in Lysa's stories... and it was weird in last nights show, when the Hound was telling Arya last night about how his brother burned his face... he had told Sansa that all the way in the first half of book one, so I already knew the story...

Except I need to get the password to HBO to go so I can rewatch last nights episode... my husband skipped through the part where Daario got naked (I don't know what happened after that)... and apparently he doesn't like the Melisandre plot line either and doesn't see the value of it...
    1. Petyr tells Sansa about it in season 1 of the show, so everyone knew. But I think they did that with Arya because they're trying to make her like him, or sympathize with him or something. Which is concerning because if she doesn't do something later on then it's going to totally mess up The Hound's storyline in a way I am NOT going to like.

2. Daario has a very nice *kitten*.

3. Your husband is an idiot (sorry! lol). Melisandre's story, you will soon find out, is one of the most important things happening in Westeros. He needs to pay attention.
  • k8blujay2
    Options
    It's ok... I already knew... I am horrible at reading wiki's too much....
  • rml_16
    Options
    It's ok... I already knew... I am horrible at reading wiki's too much....

Ha ha! I do it, too.

I'm wondering, though, how they're going to handle the aftermath since the show left out the guy they blame it on in the books.