Who's rocking the belt??

Options
JoRocka
JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
Curious as to what belts you all have and what you prefer?
Have you tried others- double prong- single prong- lever belt? thoughts?

I've only used them a handful of times in college- and haven't seen a need.

But I finally ponied up and got a belt- I am not "anti- belt" I just felt like I hadn't tapped my potential without it- but after my technical evaluation- it seems to be my core isn't doing a fabulous job- and my coach guy said- get the belt- it's not a crutch- you're squat is significantly better with it than without it. He let me borrow one there- and it made a huge difference. was 4" solid all the way around

So I did. And I took his suggestion to get a tapered one- which women tend to favor due to our slightly smaller statures- but I got to borrow someone's AFTER ordering it on happenstance and realized I didn't care for the 4" plus taper. But mine came- and for what I paid- I don't think it's worth sending back. (got a harbinger)

That being said- I think I'm going to pony up next pay check for a belt from bestbelts.net- I like their suede belts and I like the double prong 4"- and they have great reviews- and everyone says they are really easy to work with as far as customer service and getting what you need- sad pricing apparently used to be 50 something- now up to 80.

Thought I'd see what you fabulous lovelies were using!!!

Replies

• milileitner
    milileitner Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    They serve a purpose. I was not using one until recently and did just fine without - got to being ranked no 1 female in the UK for squats so clearly they're not *necessary*. That said, since using a belt I immediately added a good few kg to my squat and DL with no extra work, and it feels like when I use it for near-max lifts I can actually feel the correct muscles working rather than my core giving out before legs/back get exhausted. It's also handy for my APT and I'm using it to help correct that on exercises like OHP.

I use a 2 prong 13mm 4 inch (no taper). Nothing fancy. Whenever possible, I train without a belt, and only use it on top sets of heavy main lifts (squat, DL, OHP) or when my APT means injury would be likely without additional stability (lunges, push press, jerk, occasional standing work).
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Yeah- I'd like to push my body into a better lifting frame at higher weights- but I'm feeling like I'm stalling around 200 at this point and my legs can push- but the rest of me isn't keeping up.

I haven't been using it- can do 200- but they kind of are lame. Hoping to bump it up to a higher number but work upwards or 70-80% weights without the belt.

I definitely prefer 2 prong- one doesn't make me happy.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i use the Inzer single prong 10mm forever belt. I love it, it gives me a power boost when i'm stuck in the hole. I throw it on once i get past my warmup lifts and start getting heavy. I was told to get single prong over double prong just for ease of use, and the leather is so thick and sturdy that single prong is fine. I also heard that levers aren't as good because they are too hard to adjust the size between different lifts or bloating, you have to unscrew things and redo the whole belt. and once you get used to the belt with the prong they are super easy to get on and off. I love my belt.
  • Kestrelwings
    Kestrelwings Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I am not lifting very heavy in comparison to most people, and had always viewed belts as a bit of a crutch. However my trainer suggested I get one due to my poor posture and back difficulties, particularly as I have a current fracture in my pelvis.

I could not find one small enough here in the UK (and trust me, my waist is not THAT small, so goodness knows what smaller women do!). I got a Hardinger 5" foam core non-tapered shipped over from the US ($20 + free postage). On reflection I should have got a 4" as the 5" is a little too wide.

I have not really 'settled' into using it yet, and do not wear it routinely. However it does help me get a better posture when lifting. I think I will play around with it for a while, and see if I get along with it. If not, I will look at getting a 4".
  • SonyaCele
    Options
    I always thought of belts as a crutch too, but it depends on what your goals are. I have train enough general fitness that i'm pretty rock solid , and my goals are power lifting, so i need a belt to get that extra weight on me. And i dont use it all the time, only when im lifting heavy , which isn't every lift i do in the gym.
  • Hishtagat
    Hishtagat Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Started wearing one myself fairly recently as well. Can't say I've noticed a huge difference on deadlifts, but it certainly makes both my OHP and squats feel better.

The belt I am using is just one of many that my gym stocks for members (http://store.casall.com/eu/collection-2/tool/strength/accessories/casall-weight-lifting-belt). Incidentally, even the S one is just barely a fit. Tiny waists really ARE a pain when it comes to lifting belts.
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Nope, I don't use a belt. I hope you find one you really like, though :-)
  • Kestrelwings
    Options
    Will confess I did think of getting a 'small' leather one, and punching some extra holes in it. Not sure my punch would be strong enough though!

x
  • milileitner
    Options
    I could not find one small enough here in the UK (and trust me, my waist is not THAT small, so goodness knows what smaller women do!). I got a Hardinger 5" foam core non-tapered shipped over from the US ($20 + free postage). On reflection I should have got a 4" as the 5" is a little too wide.
    Just for future reference, strengthshop sell belts which go down to a 20 inch waist so you shouldn't really have any issue finding the right size.

ETA: https://www.strengthshop.co.uk/powerlifting-belts/strengthshop-10mm-double-prong-buckle-belt.html (select size small - this is the belt I own)
  • JoRocka
    Options
    i use the Inzer single prong 10mm forever belt. I love it, it gives me a power boost when i'm stuck in the hole. I throw it on once i get past my warmup lifts and start getting heavy. I was told to get single prong over double prong just for ease of use, and the leather is so thick and sturdy that single prong is fine. I also heard that levers aren't as good because they are too hard to adjust the size between different lifts or bloating, you have to unscrew things and redo the whole belt. and once you get used to the belt with the prong they are super easy to get on and off. I love my belt.

I have always kind of leaned toward double and I have no idea why- I get that single would be easier- perhaps I have grown up with double and that's what I'm comfortable with.

I did read that lever belts are a little more difficult to manipulate with weight changes- and some people prefer different tightness for squats over deads. I like the idea of a lever- but really I think it's not pratical if you bulk/cut every season.

Didn't use mine yesterday- I haven't worked up to the idea of using them for deads- I probably should have though.

:edit: my meet got bumped to July- well I think the june one is still happening- but we are going to do the July one instead as a team for various reasons- so I guess that's that LOL
  • SonyaCele
    Options
    i use my belt for deads, squats and bench only. and i only put it on when i get up over 60% of my max. My trainer sometimes has me put it on earlier to reserve my strength if i'm gonna be maxing out on lifts. It really does help , Once i learned to use it properly and actually remember to use it in the lift! sometimes i space out and forget to brace my core against it. I have to make a conscious effort to engage it in my lift. Sometimes my spotter or someone will yell USE YOUR BELT mid lift, and that helps me. There is an art to using a belt properly , you dont just wear them. you actually use them, brace against them , push into them with a tight core. I pee myself when i do it right, , TMI but thats a heavy lifting girl thang :)
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Nope- I totally understand- I've definitely done it before doing front squats... and double unders.

it's a lifter thing.

I think I'd rather do that than blow my sphincter out!!!
  • milileitner
    Options
    I pee myself when i do it right, , TMI but thats a heavy lifting girl thang :)
    Did that DLing in a comp after using a belt for just 2 weeks and deciding to buckle it 1 notch tighter. Embarrassing as ****. But I got a 9kg PR soooooo...yeah. Seriously though, how to stop the pee?
  • Kestrelwings
    Options
    Thank God - I am not the only one!!! I did it going for a PR when I had just started and was wearing a belt for the first time. I just wished the ground would open up and swallow me. My only consolation is better that than the sphincter
  • milileitner
    Options
    Thank God - I am not the only one!!! I did it going for a PR when I had just started and was wearing a belt for the first time. I just wished the ground would open up and swallow me. My only consolation is better that than the sphincter
    Idk, I imagine poop would stay held in by the suit slightly more effectively than pee!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Haha girls, so glad it's not just me. Always forget those pelvic floor exercises (whatshisface even mentions it in strong curves), clenching now after reading this!
  • SonyaCele
    Options
    I always have a box of those overnight pads in my gym bag! they are a must have. I have to change them between every heavy lift! everyone laughs cause i'm constantly running to the bathroom. I'm so proud when i pee through a lift, when i'm done the whole gym gets to hear about it. I've never had any sphincter problems, but i've seen some videos of accidents lol . I think if i ever that ever happens, it might be time for me to change sports.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I always have a box of those overnight pads in my gym bag! they are a must have. I have to change them between every heavy lift! everyone laughs cause i'm constantly running to the bathroom. I'm so proud when i pee through a lift, when i'm done the whole gym gets to hear about it. I've never had any sphincter problems, but i've seen some videos of accidents lol . I think if i ever that ever happens, it might be time for me to change sports.

I've been thinking about doing that- but I haven't had so many issues (yet) but it's definitely something I've considered doing. Although I"m not sure how I'd fit them in my pants... mai pants- they be too tight.
  • milileitner
    Options

GENIUS. Doing this tomorrow for squats... what a great idea. Lol, incontinence pads for powerlifters...hilarious...
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options

GENIUS. Doing this tomorrow for squats... what a great idea. Lol, incontinence pads for powerlifters...hilarious...

:laugh: Oh man you guys are making me giggle. I can only hope that one day I can deadlift heavy enough to make me tinkle!