Reaching out

Options
Hi,

I'm a 21 year old final student. Had worsening problems for the past two years, built up over last summer to numerous overdoses around Christmas. No further attempts since early January, but can feel myself getting worse again.
I see a psychiatrist, but receive no treatment. Not getting much help no matter how much/ who I ask.
Struggling at the moment. Trying to put off self medicating with booze/drugs/ self harm by restricting my food.
Feel like I'm drowning...

Replies

98777 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Do you mean that you attempted suicide around Christmas?

Maybe you could tell all this that you wrote to your psychiatrist. Are you against taking medication?

I 100% get it. I also feel like I am drowning. My mind has taken a horrible turn since about a month and a half ago and I struggle daily with depression, anxiety, OCD, and suicidal thoughts now.

I know life is extremely hard, but try to work on something productive if you can. That's what I'm doing.

I know how isolating it can be to be like this. I hope it gets better for both of us.
  • Ivybluelife
    Options
    Yes, a couple of times. But I kept getting found...

I wrote my psych a 3000 word email explaining everything... and it was barely acknowledged. NHS mental health care isn't too great.

Sorry to hear that you're having a bad time. I'm trying to just focus on my eating at the moment, and trying to get my uni work handed in. Feeling hungry makes me feel better, somehow.

I just feel like a total fraud. I feel like I'm acting in day-to-day life to try and keep it together, but then sometimes I act so much I wonder whether there's anything wrong with me at all.
    98777 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Okay, I thought that's what you meant.

That's a good productive thing, working on exams. But try to eat if you can.

Oh my god, that's exactly what I said the other day, that I'm just an actor now in order to continue my life.

Well, something is definitely wrong, don't second guess it. Anyone can tell just from reading your post. And I mean that not in an offensive way, but in a validating way.

I wish you the best.
  • charliemarie923
    charliemarie923 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Sometimes we all have to act to get through life, but when the acting becomes our life we know something is wrong. Have you ever been on antideppressants? Although they can make suicidAL THOUghts worse at the beginning. Is there a new shrink you can see? or can you ask for a second opinion? See if there are groups like MIND in your area too or maybe the samaritans if you get to that point. People who can help may be closer than you think, the psyche isnt everything and it sounds like he needs reminding of that too. sorry if i seem a little angry but i have experienced some of the same and it makes me angry to think people are still neeedlessly suffering . I wish you the best of luck. Keep us updated
    charlie x
  • JessicaWhosit
    Options
    I suffer from major depression as well as OCD and GAD. I stopped taking medication a year ago but struggle often still. If you need a friend to talk to feel free to message me. It can be hard to see any light when it feels like you're surrounded by darkness but sometimes having a friend can help.