Check In May 8, 2014

Options
KarenZen
KarenZen Posts: 1,430 Member
Good morning! How are you all doing today?

Here's a conversation generator for today: what ONE new habit are you forming that will facilitate your weight loss goals? (I know we're all probably forming multiple habits, but describe your most important.) What challenges are you experiencing? What successes have you experienced?

Here's a piece from Huffington Post on how long it takes to form a habit, to move to automatic behavior.
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5104807

My best new behavior is definitely reaching for the veggies first. I'm learning to fill up on them and to enjoy all kinds of new ones. I even ate Hubbard squash this week and loved it, and I never eat squash! I can't wait to see what's in the farmer's market this summer.

My biggest challenge has been convincing myself that veggies can be as filling as carbs. For successes, definitely relying on friends to help me find new ways of preparing veggies, like grilled asparagus from Christine and roasted garlic Brussels sprouts from Margaret.

Replies

• AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Lowered my daily calorie goal by 200 calories. I'm hoping to see more of a weekly loss than the last 2 weeks. I'm having to make a few menu changes to adjust, but it is fun.

Don't see your link, but I've known about this theory for a long time..
    Changing habits take about 3 weeks. When you repeat an action over and over, the neural pathway becomes stronger. It actually physically changes your brain. The less you do something, the weaker the connection becomes, but it is still there and can actually become stronger with little effort.
  • julieworley376
    julieworley376 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Well first of all my habit is MOVING. I have to get moving more and at this weight and with arthritis causing sciatica if I do too much it's a challenge.

Yesterday was an EPIC fail. I started well and did fine till they brought out the trays of warm cookies, yep, warm, gooey chocolate chip warm made from scratch and they were right by our booth. I ate 4. Then came the hors d'ouevres and cocktails and they were delicious. Warm crab Rangoon and these delicious little cheese tarts and booze.. sigh.

I can't even attempt to track yesterday, I have no idea how much I ate or how to track it. So I am going to treat it like this. It was fun, I don't do that kind of thing often at all, that one day will not wreck things in the grand overall scheme, so I am not going to feel guilty or ashamed. Nope. I am going to track everything today and carry on!
  • KarenZen
    Options
    Well first of all my habit is MOVING. I have to get moving more and at this weight and with arthritis causing sciatica if I do too much it's a challenge.

Yesterday was an EPIC fail. I started well and did fine till they brought out the trays of warm cookies, yep, warm, gooey chocolate chip warm made from scratch and they were right by our booth. I ate 4. Then came the hors d'ouevres and cocktails and they were delicious. Warm crab Rangoon and these delicious little cheese tarts and booze.. sigh.

I can't even attempt to track yesterday, I have no idea how much I ate or how to track it. So I am going to treat it like this. It was fun, I don't do that kind of thing often at all, that one day will not wreck things in the grand overall scheme, so I am not going to feel guilty or ashamed. Nope. I am going to track everything today and carry on!

Julie, I'm going to suggest that you input as much as you remember. First, to see the actual number of calories. Second, to have a record--this actually happened. Third, to help release the shame and guilt.

I had a sugar meltdown yesterday driving home from Vermont and felt the same way about not tracking it, but I forced myself to do it and it was eye opening. It was a 2000 calorie slip up, which is only half a pound.

Letting it go and moving forward today. Big hugs.
  • blondageh
    blondageh Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Oh Booze, I feel you. If anyone would've brought out free trays of booze around me, all bets would've been off. I don't blame you one bit!

My good habit that I HAD developed over the last few weeks was giving up my middle of the night binging. The last couple of nights though, I have woken up and had some carbs. I do blame it on not eating enough during the day. (I think I was at a total of 33 Carbs for the whole day by bedtime) And I can't say I am really hungry when I am doing it. It is more I just don't want to feel sick and tired the next day and know I have the calories to spare, but I don't want to set myself back up into that habit of waking up all night long and eating 2000-5000 calories. Ugh.
  • tishtash77
    tishtash77 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Morning all. I am so excited! Today our new mattress arrvies, we had to save for 18 months (we are low income) as we wanted a decent one. The old one is beyond finsihed, I have flipped it, turned it, for months now. THere are dips, bumps, it is terrible on the back, I am sooooo excited to sleep tonight lol. And it is a queen, as you guys know 2 people sharing a double when one of them (me) is or was nearly 300lbs is not exactly ideal comfort. Plus we got one with a cooling gel so will be great for summer yay.

Well I have been trying to work on habits for about 18 months now I guess. It certainly does take longer than 3 weeks, it is super easy to fall out of them again. If it was easy to stick with them we would all be going to the gym no problem, drinking our water and so on. The thing I have to work out is making the new habit as easy as the old. I am a lazy person if I can be, so if a new habit is a lot of effort out of my way then it might not stick. For example the marching when I fold clothes. I have to fold those clothes anyway. I have to exercise. So now 90% of the time when I do the laundry I also march, it has become automatic. In fact I let the clothes pile build up for a couple of days so that I get a longer marching session in lol.

There are some food choices I now always make that have become 'normal' for me. I eat whole grain bread, smart pasta, brown rice. I never fry eggs on the rare times I have them, I have poached. I have learnt an english whole wheat muffin does not need butter, I can use one light laughing cow wedge split between with some tomato on top. I do not buy cookies, chips or treats to store.

The current habit I am working on is always having water next to me. I have always struggled with this one. When we have some spare cash I think I will try buying a water bottle I can refill.
  • julieworley376
    Options
    Karen I did it, and I am actually glad I did.. THANK YOU. I went over by 1,288 calories and MFP is telling me if I ate that way every day I would gain over 5lbs in 5 weeks. What an eye opener!

I actually feel better that I entered it and I really know what I ate instead of writing it off... I don't think I have ever done that before.. what great changes in this group!
  • julieworley376
    Options
    WOOHOOO on your bed! I am excited for you!!!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    My one major new habit has been to get enough water in on a daily basis! I'm still not hitting my goals (16.25 cups or 7.75 water bottles is a lot!) most of the time, but I average 10-12 cups a day now - so much better than I used to get in. I can manage the calories (most of the time), but sodium ends up being one of my concerns - as does sugar carbs (natural sugars, etc., not as concerning)...so getting enough water helps me defeat the water weight gains/holds...

I love that actually tracking a treat day has been helpful for some of y'all! Have a great day.
  • kilgore67
    kilgore67 Posts: 40
    Options
    TishTash congrats on the new bed. Mine is a twin that I bought used from a thrift store 10 years ago. It's still comfortable though. That's great that you could get the one you wanted. Sweet dreams tonight. :drinker:
    My new habit is eating more veggies and fruits. I'm looking forward to trying new veggies at the farmer's market.

Michelle
  • lindabeth333
    lindabeth333 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    It is great to see how everyone is developing self awareness - I think that is so important!

My habit is daily exercise! I normally have eaten pretty healthily but I am soooooooo sedentary. When I started moving - I finally achieved the calorie deficit I needed to start losing weight. I have struggled with anemia most of my adult life and have always been so tired and out of breath - it was hard to exercise and I avoided it. Since I have gone through menopause last year - my anemia is slowly getting better and now I have a bit more energy to exercise. It is the calorie balance - you can gain weight eating healthy food if you are not moving.
  • BodyByChipsAhoy
    BodyByChipsAhoy Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Doing great today! I struggled yesterday with sugar withdrawals, but I got through it remaining within my calorie range.

Not sure if this is considered to be a habit, but I leave my credit card and bank card home so I can't buy anything during the day. We have a huge cafeteria here with hot entrees, salad bar, grill, deli plus all kinds of other treats. I feel powerless against the pull of the cafeteria so its easier when I dont have a means to purchase it.

One habit I need to work on, as a lot of you have mentioned, is exercise.
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Hiu all,

My new habit is logging everything I eat, the good, bad, and the ugly. I am also trying to move more.
  • KarenZen
    Options
    Wow, love reading these posts. Julie, I am so proud of you! Good job facing the demon.

Today I got the thumbs up from my sports medicine doctor--he will sign off that I have met and exceeded my exercise goals, so that's one more hoop jumped through for bariatric surgery. Woohoo!

Today I am going very light on food, getting the sugar from yesterday out of my system. I'm proud I'm not turning one slip-up into an excuse to go food crazy for a week, which is what I usually do.

Nap time this afternoon to get through a Still's Flare, then aquasize at 5, then making something for dinner with the grass fed/organic/local beef that my friend Tammy tucked into my cooler in Vermont. She raised the steer.
  • KarenZen
    Options
    Hiu all,

My new habit is logging everything I eat, the good, bad, and the ugly. I am also trying to move more.

Pirate chick, I think this is an awesome new habit. What a difference a clear record makes!
  • blondageh
    blondageh Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Checking in again. Lunch is in my belly, I am stuffed to the gills. The flavorz apple packs are like candy. I bought them for my daughter, but stole them for my lunch. I don't think I want to know what they "Flavorz" them with, I am sure it is not "natural" but dang, 30 calories a pack.. sweet tooth satisfied.

My only major complaint today is dear lord it is like a jungle outside. The humidity is so bad..I don't want to go out at all. My husband tried to tell me I NEEDED a "cheat day" and to go to lunch with him...I said no way, it is disgusting out there. And it is. I absolutely detest TX in the summer.
  • tishtash77
    Options
    Had a yummy lunch 2 hours ago but now I am hungry, I had my snack, I am still HUNGRY. sigh. Just had to type it out here so that I remind myself not to give in. Carry on!
  • carimiller7391
    carimiller7391 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Good day Y'all!!

My one new habit is going to the gym. I now have a workout buddy that goes with me 3x's a week. So this is the habit I plan on working on for the next 6 weeks.

Cari
  • Sandyslosenit
    Sandyslosenit Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I'm finally home!!! I'm in a much better frame of mind. I stopped off at the salon after work to get my hair done. There's nothing like someone washing your hair. I could go to sleep, it feels so nice. Afterword I took my nephew to Taco Bell for lunch. I have been wanting to try the Cantina Bowl for a while now -It was so good, so satisfying.
    I'm trying to get in the habit of drinking something first when I think I'm hungry and having a full 12-16 oz glass of water before a meal. I'm starting to ask for a box as soon as I order at restaurants to portion out my meal so I'm not tempted to eat it all while being social. I'm in the habit now of prelogging before I eat, there's only been a few times where I couldn't and I was so uncomfortable the whole time I was eating. I have many, but those are the main ones that will carry me to goal. With the water when I think I'm hungry being the most important. I need to learn to recognize real hunger.
    Blessings
  • Sandyslosenit
    Sandyslosenit Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Had a yummy lunch 2 hours ago but now I am hungry, I had my snack, I am still HUNGRY. sigh. Just had to type it out here so that I remind myself not to give in. Carry on!
    Drink something. That might help. I always have a hot tea to hold me over when I know I shouldn't be hungry. Blessings
  • tishtash77
    Options
    Yeah thanks for the reminder, distracted myself with work for a bit but it's still there and dinner is still 90 mins away so off to make a cup of tea :)