Companions

Options
Whether from classic DW or the new, whether in for only a single episode or for several seasons, let's talk about the companions you love!

doctor-who-companions-63-13.jpg

Replies

• whovian67
    whovian67 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    It will always be Rose
  • palmerdanielle
    palmerdanielle Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I haven't watched much classic DW, but of more recent I think I really like all of them, I love the uniqueness they all bring to the show. Rose is probably my favourite but I really loved Donna (I think people either love or hate her, but I loved the humor she brought to the show and how she and 10 played off each other. Amy and Rory were great of course, and I'm really liking Clara, so I hope she's around for a while longer to get to know her a bit better. Also, I miss Jack :laugh:
  • whovian67
    whovian67 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    P.S. And I didn't even want to like any of the "New" Who.... but I fell for Rose..
  • DoctorMcCoy10
    DoctorMcCoy10 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Rose and Donna were my favorites!!! I didn't realize how much I liked Martha until she was gone and I enjoyed Amy & Rory but after awhile their story felt old and I was really ready for a new companion. Now we have Clara and I still semi hate her. I miss Captain Jack he was amazing but I do hope they have more of the relationship between River and the Doctor in the new season.
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Ive only watched the new Doctor Who so I can only comment on 9,10 and 11 companions

My order

Amy
    Rose
    Rory
    Wilf (donna grandad)
    River
    Jack
    Martha
    Micky

Donna (I can't describe how much I dislike like Donna)
  • JuliRamone
    JuliRamone Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Amy and River for me :)
    Although I also loved Rose and Donna really, really much - I was completly blown away by Amy and her daughter ;)
  • MismatchedAlmonds
    MismatchedAlmonds Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure this counts, but I actually really liked the very first time we met Clara when she was actually a Dalek. The writing and acting in that episode was particularly good. So if that incarnation of her counts, she's a top choice.

[But for the record Donna followed very very very very very very closely by Rose is my favorite]
  • JamieD328
    JamieD328 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Donna was my favorite. Rose was sad, but Donna, who can never remember any of the things she did, is so much worse. I also love Wilf.
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m9nn4op3qL1qcwhkeo1_250.gif
  • nicca_jb
    nicca_jb Posts: 1,278 Member
    Options
    I'm sure I've said this already, but: River. Even if she's not really a "companion". She's his bloody wife!

For actual real companiony-waniony types (best to worst):

Rose
    Sarah Jane
    Amy & Rory
    Donna
    Wilf
    Captain Jack*
    Tegan
    Martha
    ...anyone remember Astrid (Kylie Minogue) or Adelaide Brooke (Lindsay Duncan) from the specials? Loved both.
    Mickey
    Ace

Clara

* = I love Jack whether he's a companion or on his own or in Torchwood.
  • SoosannahK
    SoosannahK Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Donna and Sarah Jane. I truly did love Rose and she and 9 got me hooked on the new DW.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    favorite was Donna - hands down. she was the first in a LONG time who never fell for the Doctor. she was just his best friend. and it was a fun time of Buddy Cop show in the Whoniverse. we'd had snippets of that w/ the Brigadier (who i adored), but with Donna we got to the meat of it.

Jack was amazing, but he was better in Torchwood. probably b/c we got to know him better.

Leela was an awesome dichotomy - and one of the first strong women i remember seeing on TV as a kid.

i loved all of them for different reasons. i wish that Mickey and Martha had joined Torchwood (and that CoE had never happened) b/c i feel like that would have been a great fit - and seeing Mickey strong and not as the tin dog was great - and seeing Martha away from the Doctor always made me smile (i didn't like her with him though, too moony for me).

i never liked Amy until Rory joined the band. i liked her through his eyes. then add River and have it be 11 and the Ponds and it was marvelous.

and K-9... well, he was his own category.
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    I really enjoyed Martha and her strength. She was independent and strong without the Doctor, but he was able to bring out her more vulnerable side. I think she needed that vulnerability and strength to coexist in her heart in order for her to join UNIT. Walking away from the Doctor was no easy task, but she did it and she went on to do great things.
  • aimeemarie150
    aimeemarie150 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I loved Martha because she was intelligent, but Amy and Donna were my favorites. Donna in the later episodes, not when he first met her.
  • megsterella
    megsterella Posts: 69
    Options
    I've only seen Classic Who sporadically so I don't really feel comfortable mentioning any companions from that era. If pressed, though, I admit that I rather liked Tegan, Liz Shaw, Leela, and Ace. And Jamie. And while I know he's not very popular and most didn't like him, I liked Adric, too.

As for New Who...definitely Rose, Donna, and Jack. Like, hands down. I somehow fell in love with Rose in the very first episode and she remains to be my favorite. Jack was, well, Jack. And Donna... after "Partners in Crime" I pretty much wanted to clone her and keep the copy in basement forever and ever.

After those three it's Amy (who I adored), Martha, and Sarah Jane.
  • xxghost
    xxghost Posts: 4,697 Member
    Options
    I've only watched New Who.

But how could you not love this sweet girl?

tumblr_mvtjm6F8FG1smucf6o1_500.gif
  • navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Sarah Jane - LOVE HER!
    Donna - My favorite of the new companions, because I identify more with her.

I also didn't like Amy until Rory came aboard.
  • cmglass10
    cmglass10 Posts: 31
    Options
    Am I the only one who just doesn't like Rose?

Rory and Donna are my favorites in the new generation.

I also love River and Jack

I haven't sat down and watched any of the classic yet really. When Hubby gets back from overseas though, and I can take time to actually have some me time away from kids, I completely plan on watching the classics :D
  • Yagisama
    Yagisama Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I've mentioned this before, but Donna is definitely my favorite companion. She was the rare companion to be actually at the doctor's level, more like a partner. And Catherine Tate was hilarious. What's not to like? :drinker:
  • RavenhairedWoman
    RavenhairedWoman Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who just doesn't like Rose?

Rory and Donna are my favorites in the new generation.

I also love River and Jack

I haven't sat down and watched any of the classic yet really. When Hubby gets back from overseas though, and I can take time to actually have some me time away from kids, I completely plan on watching the classics :D

Nope, you are not alone. I actually almost gave up on Doctor Who because I felt like Rose was a total airhead during her time with Nine. She grew on me a bit but I have to say she just wasn't one of my all time favorites. I hated how they made her lead Mickey along. I really felt bad for him. Particularly as he developed as a character. I do feel like Rose became a bit less air headed when paired with Ten but I still didn't like several of the relational drama bits they put in there.

I love Donna because after basically choking over the sappiness between Rose and Ten (and then Ten pretty much being a jerk to Martha when she started to fall for him) I needed a good sassy "just pals" kind of companion. I love how Donna kind of healed Ten's love sickness. I loved watching them pal around through their adventures. I just needed the air to clear from all of the sexual tension that had been around previously.

And how could I not love the Ponds? I wasn't crazy about Amy when it was looking like she was going to be the next lovesick companion. When they brought Rory in and showed that he was where her heart truly fell I was much happier. Because then it kind of became like the Doctor was their kid and they were looking out for him. (Nevermind the fact that he became their son in law ;p.)

I'm looking forward to 12 and seeing how the relationships change with an "older" Doctor at the helm. I am kind of hoping for some curmudgeonly grumping from time to time.

Anyways, I liked each of the New Who companions in different ways but yes, I disliked several things about them too. Everyone has to have a few character flaws or we wouldn't like them at all because they would be too perfect.