couch to 5 k

Options
anyone done this? anyone want to do it with me? i am going to participate in my first race on May 31. i want to start running a little bit before then so i don't have to walk the whole way. anyone have a good link to a training program or is it better to just start sneaking a little jogging into my walk?

Replies

• dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Have you actually googled the program? They give you specific steps on starting so you don't over do it and either hurt yourself or just give up.

I don't think I'm quite down enough to even pretend to run yet, but someday I may be interested!

I don't know if you are friends with or seen posts from lolo1994 but she was posting about this on one of the other WLS or exercise boards.
  • p1xyn1xy
    p1xyn1xy Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I might be interested... if I can kick this string of bugs I keep catching. Theres a fun 5k walk/run in my neighbourhood and I like to do it. Let us know when you start.... maybe it'll help me get my butt in gear. :)
  • hollyla9905
    hollyla9905 Posts: 508
    Options
    This is something I would like to do when I finally get my treadmill - yup still saving - I will have it this summer though ready for the cold manitoba winters!

I do want to learn to run again but I refuse to run outside, I have way to many anxieties! But I am determined and I really miss long walks they feel good but it's to darn wet still!

Hopefully you find a good program!
  • dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    couch to 5K Running program - The one I've known of: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/

One that I see is specifically designed for treadmills - http://www.c25k.com/c25k_treadmill.html

Run on y'all!
  • incredibleshrinkingjackie
    Options
    well, i just finished day 3 of my c25k. actually haven't started the official program yet. sort of warming up and seeing what i'm capable of.

the last three days i've walked a mile and incorporated some jogging. day 1 i jogged 3 times for 10 seconds each. day 2 i jogged 4 times for 10 seconds each and day 3 i jogged 3 times for 30 seconds each.

after the second jog i actually had to stop because i thought i was going to puke. so i took a rest for a few minutes and then continued on.

my time was slower today, maybe because of the rest stop and because after a jog i walk slower while catching my breath. day 1 i did it in 29 minutes, day 2 was 23 minutes and today it was 33 minutes.

i am going to start the actual C25K on may 1 st. anyone want to join me, you are welcome. just post to this thread. thanks!
  • incredibleshrinkingjackie
    Options
    ok, after extensive research and some soul searching, i have decided to put off the C25K for a little while. i am going to focus on being able to walk 3.1 miles and then work on doing it faster.

right now, i couldn't walk that far at one time. i did walk 1.5 miles today and will continue doing that and work my way up to the whole 3.1 (5K) miles. i still plan on doing the 5K race on May 31, i will just be walking it.

i want to encourage everyone to keep on pushing themselves to be the best they can be.
  • hollyla9905
    hollyla9905 Posts: 508
    Options
    Great job!
  • Ignaura
    Ignaura Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I will start the program again... for the third time!!! I always drop it around week 7, don't know why. I need to step up my cardio game, so this will do it for me starting today.
  • BACKTOCHRISSY
    BACKTOCHRISSY Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    There is a book I recently bought called "Run Your Butt Off". It is geared towards newby runners. They build up slowly, where I think C25K is a little quicker in building up. The book starts with having you be able to walk 30 minutes at a time, and you stay there until you have mastered that part etc.

Maybe starting slower with that program might help.

:-)
  • Nannabug
    Nannabug Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    There is definitely no shame in walking a 5K. I just finished my first 5K on Sunday. I did a Run Like A Diva 5K. It was great and I even broke my mile time record on my Nike app. If you do decide to do C25K, I recommend the C25K app.
  • fun2fit1006
    fun2fit1006 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your first 5K!
  • p1xyn1xy
    p1xyn1xy Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I just walked my first 5k with the kids in tow last Saturday. We walked and then ran down the hills only. lol! It wiped my little cherubs out!:laugh: I think I'm going to start the C25K as soon as this rain decide to stop. I really enjoyed it. Our time was great at 56min. (I went with a 6 & 8 year old and pushed my 3 year old in a stroller) . I think starting slow is the only way to do it until you can build up the stamina. :flowerforyou:
  • seren1ty74
    seren1ty74 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    walking my first 5k on saturday!
  • trudywc2
    trudywc2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!! How was it. I want to sign up for one next fall.
  • JennyBilyeu
    JennyBilyeu Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I started the C25K last week, and my last weight log was 258 lbs (down from 270). I LOVED it!! I haven't "run" in 25 years, and it was really great. It starts you off at a "jog" to walk ratio. Jog for 1 minute, walk for a 1 and 1/2 minutes. It build you up over the course of 8 or 9 weeks till you are jogging more than you are walking. I was also a very heavy smoker. I have since purchased a vapor cigarette, and have not had a "real" cigarette since this past Saturday. I would encourage anyone, as long as you are comfortable, to try the C25K. If you have to do week 1 for 3 weeks, go for it! It's a great build up. Either way...awesome journey!!!
  • m23prime
    m23prime Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Okay....

I started today. It did not go well,

A year ago, I laughed at the physio instructor who said I would be running by spring.

She was TOTALLY wrong. I was doing Pilates by spring and I started running today.

I've got the walking part down. I can march 5k with a more or less engaged core in just over an hour, no fuss. Less time if I don't have the dog with me as she's still a bit of a tourist and likes to stop and smell the roses and stuff. Mostly stuff.

Today we ran for a little bit. But I encountered a problem that I did not anticipate. My belly spare tire is now very much a wobbly roll that sits below my navel. And it sloshes around like a very large and unsupported breast. The Tidal forces of the motion hurt after very few steps...

(Wow...this is possibly the most embarrassing thing I have ever typed, let alone shared...)

:embarassed: I will need to find a girdle of some kind:embarassed: in order to do the work I am not only motivated to do, but have apparently been training to do for a year.

Everything important--muscle, bone, and sinew, are all in place. I HAVE some actual abdominal muscle for the first time in my life and I can use it to support my spine, but there is nothing I can do about the heavy hanger of an emptying apron of fat and skin I now sport.

However, if this turns out to be the worst thing that happens to me in August...I'M LAUGHIN'!
  • Canuname
    Canuname Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Here is what I use. The belt is awesome because regular belts don't always keep my pants up right.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002QRCMTW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Awesome belt

This is my go to compression shirt. Kinda hard to get on and doesn't breath as well as the starter compression shirt.
    The starter compression Shirt wickes away sweat, this one not as much.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008MATGBE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Compression Shirt Tight but works well

Also a nice compression shirt, I just don't like the crew neck, and doesn't have as much compression as the insta slim.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Starter-Big-Men-s-Short-Sleeve-Compression-Short-Sleeve-Shirt/22615277

There is also, UnderArmor, http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/en/ua-heatgear/mens/compression#products

The compression Gear has really helped me, I Hope this helps you too.
  • m23prime
    m23prime Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Thanks Russ! Compression shirts are a super idea. Went straight there.

Unfortunately, Amazon won't ship that particular product to Canada for some reason.

I have a found a local shop that will order them in. SO...I should have that wobble wrapped and out of the way by week's end!

Thank you again for the suggestion.

cheers!
    Mark
  • Canuname
    Canuname Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Not a problem. Been there, done that. :smile:

Also Walmart is selling the insta slim tank tops now. They are in the as seen on tv section and of course insta slim has its own website also.