"probably" PCOS or offical diagnoses?

Options
ebuds83
ebuds83 Posts: 8 Member
About 7 years ago I went to my doctor abotu facial hair and being unable to lose weight ( at that time about 30lbs). I was then asked questions about my period ( was it regular? - I had no bf so I wasn't keeping track but I got it near monthly *some months over lap and then I lost track, no bf, who cares, right?*) She asked if I was working out\tracking what I ate. I said yes. But to be honest with myself I wasn't trackign ALL I ate. I did maybe breakfast lunch not dinner, lunch dinner not breakfast etc. I saw an endocrinologist who asked me questions and said I probably had PCOS and it was probably insulin resistant. I had blood work done ( i can't remember if it was fasting blood sugar or not, probably) and at the time it was 79. Everything was in normal ranges. But was told "probably insulin resistant pcos" and I'd probably not get pregnant. At the time I didn't care ( early 20's) and thought it was a BS diagnoses since I didn't 100% tell the truth and with research other than facial hair on the mild side of what I've seen\heard of other people, I tought it probably was'nt correct.

Since that time I think my cycles are far more out of whack but I'm not sure if its because of weight gain ( quite a bit over the past 4 years, about 80lbs which I contribute to increased alcohol to deal with PMDD). My PMDD is pretty intense, even with medications ( it's got much worse in the past 4-5 years). So my periods can be 30-40+ days apart. With pms lasting 10+ days.

So, I have a few questions:

Have you been officially dx'd with PCOS or IR or did you get the "probably" as well? If official did they do ultrasound or just blood panels?

Are low carbs the answer?

And how many of you have had children with or without difficulty?

I don't have a physical until the fall, which i am hopign to have lost some weight as my dr last year was a bit shocked at my weight gain ( grad school, snacks, wine, sitting all day did me no favors) and now I'm uncomfortable being large so drink to feel more comfy on social outtings doesn't help! Should I ask for more info\tests about this diagnoses?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Annienichole2003
    Annienichole2003 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have a "most likely" diagnosis and we've only done blood work; however at 18 I was told I didn't because I had no cysts on my ovaries (which is a bs statement) by my ob gyn. I've gained 60 lbs in the last 18 months which put me at my heaviest ever. I have a minor thyroid problem which she is treating and vitamin D deficiency.
  • ninnyfurr74
    ninnyfurr74 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    PCOS, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrom, there are several factors that most women display to one degree or another. Unfortunately it's just that, a syndrome, so an "official" diagnosis would be hard to come by. Some of the key things they look for. Insulin resistance, cysts on the ovaries, facial hair, boils under arms or inner thigh area, irregular menstrual cycle, high testosterone levels, problems losing weight, high blood sugars. If you only have one or two of these symptoms then you are probably ok. If you are looking at 4 or more then you probably have it. This is how my doctor explained it to me 9 years ago. This may have changed.
    My cycle stayed fairly regular. I went 6 months one time and 5 another with no cycle. The last time may have been due to stress. I have had 6 pregnancies and 3 living children. So I get pregnant ok, but I don't carry to term. I lost one at 6 weeks, another at 3 months, and the other at 6 months. Metformin helped me carry my youngest child to 8 and a half months and I was done after him lol. It really does vary from person to person. My best friend has pcos and can't get pregnant at all, even with fertility drugs. If you can get past the side affects Metformin really helps, as well as losing weight and yes going low carb will help some too. I wish you the best of luck sweetie and if there are any other questions I might be able to answer just message me :)
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Q1 - I was officially diagnosed in 2012 when I was 34. When I was 27 and trying to get pregnant, I was told that my #s were approaching PCOS but were not enough to diagnose me with it officially but to live like I had it. I had ultrasounds and blood work both times.

Q2 - Carb level is going to depend on a variety of factors, including whether you are insulin resistant, how much you are exercising (and what type of exercise), and if you take Metformin.

Q3 - I have two children. The first was conceived at age 27 after a year of trying. The second was conceived at age 35 after a year and a half of trying. With the first, I was not on any medication and did not use any ART. With the second, I was on Metformin (otherwise I was not ovulating and did not have periods AT ALL) but did not need ART.

Q4 - Definitely research PCOS before you go so you will know what to ask dr. Doctor will want to know some things as well, such as your future plans for having children.
  • KatyRu
    KatyRu Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Have you been officially dx'd with PCOS or IR or did you get the "probably" as well? If official did they do ultrasound or just blood panels?
    I got a "most likely." At the time, I was on birth control and was told that any kind of hormone tests would be inaccurate. I DO actually have bloodwork which points to PCOS, though, and I've also had ultrasounds which revealed small cysts on my ovaries. Last I had bloodwork, I was told that my blood sugar etc. pointed to prediabetes, or some kind of insulin resistance.
    Are low carbs the answer?
    I can't say that low-carbs are the tell-all ultimate answer, but I can say that it helps. I don't severely limit my carbs. I tried that and felt terrible. What I DO is set a limit of around 100-140g of carbs per day, with around 40g per meal and little to none at dinner time or later. My dinners tend to be my healthiest meal of the day, for really no reason other than that I'm at home around this time. The macro combination that has worked best for me is 40% fat, 30% protein, and 30% carbs. I try to stick to this, but don't seem to suffer if I have one or two days out of every week that I eat too many carbs. I try to limit my sugar intake as well.
    And how many of you have had children with or without difficulty?
    I have now been OFF of birth control for over a year, but we haven't been actively trying to get pregnant. I haven't gone back to get tests, but I AM married and have never been pregnant...which is a bit of an unlikely combination, as we're not "actively" trying to prevent pregnancy either, if you catch my drift. We have been more careful lately, though, as my periods have evened out with healthier eating and regular light exercise (I actually get 6-day, 1/month periods now, as opposed to 3-day periods every 2 weeks, or month-long periods every other month).
    Should I ask for more info\tests about this diagnoses?
    I would say yes. It can't hurt to know more.
  • MissTea3112
    MissTea3112 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I was "officially" diagnosed about 7 years ago. I always had to watch my weight but was never really overweight, my dr. acknowledged I was very irregular but didn't say much about it. But I had once I head my daughter things went crazy. I gained a lot of weight and no matter what I seemed to do it didn't come off. still my dr. kept telling me to "try harder" to lose weight.

Luckily about 2 years after my dr. retired and I got a new one. One visit with him and he recognized what was going on and had me tested. Though I am still struggling, at least I know the cause.
  • madambutterfly91
    madambutterfly91 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I was official diagnosed 2 months ago with PCOS via ultrasound and blood work. When the ultra sound tech saw my ovaries she was like wow ok there's your problem more than likely. She said it was like straight out of her text book. Then I talk to the dr about my cycles the fact I wasn't pregnant after being married 3 years without avoiding it had been a mystery up till then when he said it looks like even though I had been bleeding I wasn't actually ovulating regularly.

The metaformin combined with the low carb/high protein have really done wonders for me. I haven't changed the amount of exercise at all, and the calories are around the same, but what those calories are made of is better for my body's needs I guess.
  • cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    My endo went with a "most likely"......I've got pretty much all the symptoms. She wasn't too concerned with doing anything more "official" as I'm not looking to have any more children and they just treat the symptoms anyway. An official diagnosis wouldn't change any treatment for me.

I don't do really low carb, but I'm not high carb either. About 25-30 of my daily calories. I try to make sure they are low GI and really limit my added sugars, but that's because I am insulin resistant. I'm not sure it has any bearing on my weight loss or not.

I had my son at 25 and I wasn't trying to get pregnant, so there was no trouble there. But, aside from my hypothyroid that I had for years before that, most of my symptoms didn't present until after my son was born. I'm 42 now, so it took 17 years for them to put all the pieces of my symptoms together to get this unofficial diagnosis.