size to buy clothes in Japan

Options
Sorry for joining the group under false pretences. I am really hoping someone here can help me :3

I don't actually live in Japan yet, but will be from 2015 (Taking time to save up, get a TEFL & lose weight first)

I was just wondering approx what size I will have to slim to in order to be able to buy clothes cheaply in Japan? Will likely be in the central Osaka area, or maybe end up in Hiroshima, Nagoya or other major cities. Maybe even Tokyo but it's not the plan atm. Part of the reason I want to go to Japan is the various clothing styles so I don't want to end up in 'westerner' stores buying the same stuff we have back home! I will need some smart stuff for work of course but in my free time want to express myself.

My original weight loss aim was 10stone(140lbs) which should make me around a UK size 10-12, however thinking about the average size of Japanese girls, I wonder if this will still make me a L-LL size and harder to shop.

I have already lost 20lbs and am currently at 170 so I think I can make it to 140lbs in time, but now worried it won't be enough to stop being too big for Japan.

I last visited Japan a couple of years ago, and as a UK size 14-16 there were pretty much zero clothes I could buy, loving Japanese street fashion as much as I do this was a real blow. I got a few things that are meant to be for men, or really baggy/oversized but looked ok on me as a fitted style. (eg the one in my profile pic)

However for living there, and I will be on a strict budget so need to be able to just pick things up in sales/cheap stalls/shops and wonder if aiming to fit into the ubiquitous 'free-size' is a good idea?

(Oh and before I forget - Please clarify if you answer in US /UK/AUS/EU/something else sizes)

Replies

• papaveraceae
    Options
    Honestly, most of the street style clothing stores that I have been to are primarily US sizes 00-6. So you might have trouble finding things that fit in those kinds of speciality shops (that being said, they're pricey and do not have sales often). That being said, most chain stores are accommodating to larger sizes. L and LL are not difficult to find here.

This is from what I have seen in Osaka and Nagoya. These cities do have great thrift shops though.

Also, just as an aside -- if you end up teaching in a smaller community, you might have a difficult time expressing yourself through clothing in your free time. There is a good chance that you will run into students frequently. Schools will expect that you maintain a conservative style in school and out. That's just from my own experience. If you end up in a larger city, it could be different.

Also, TEFL looks great, but the only real requirement for most places/programs is a four year degree. Also, most bigger cities will not hire teachers who haven't had some kind of prior teaching experience (including ALTs). But again, that is just what I have seen.

Best of luck. :)
  • matchasuki
    Options
    Hello!

I currently live in Japan and am plus size, Probably a US 14-18 depending on brand. And it is near impossible for me to find clothes here. Most stores, even the foreign ones like GAP and H&M only carry up to the L size, and not the XL. That being said, at around US size 8-10 ish you shouldn't have too many problems shopping at the imported brands. Regular stores is going to be a lot harder. A few of my friends around about 6-8 ish sizes and 5'2 -5'6 ish. They tend to have some trouble finding clothes that fit properly. an M might be too small and a L might be too large. Basically none of my western friends shop at Japanese Brands unless they are about a size 2 and under 5'3. :( Just is. Uniqlo and other brands geared to the 'mass' have a bit more size selection but its not "expression full". Most stores only of XS, S, and M size clothing. Pants are always harder than tops.

There are some stores that are now catering to bigger sizes. There are select shops and also department stores (OIOI, Isetan, Parco) but plus size clothes seem to come with plus size prices. :( Also they tend to be much fewer selections. There are also online stores that sell these, but you'll need a CC or or be able ot speak/read some Japanese to be able to use Conbini Payment systems. these days Macy's and other US brands also ship to JPN

I'm not sure if you've put much thought into this but, If you wear a size 8+ in shoes, BRING LOTS OF SHOES with you. Its near impossible to find anything that fits a foot size 8+ here. (again select shops with $$$ prices)

Overall I would say, no matter what be prepared to feel big/frusterated at first. (And I don't mean this in a negative way) I've had several aquaintances here that ended up having Eating Disorders after experiencing 'not fitting in' Japan sizes. ("Gap thighs" here are just a standard not a new 'trend')

No matter what, bring 1-2 comfortable flattering well made suits with you. Japan is a very formal country and they expect their teachers to dress salaryman/woman style. Especially if you are in the public school system. Stalkings/Leggings are also important. Under garments are also hard to find if you are well endowed on top.

Also, like the poster before said you don't really need a tefl to teach here. It won't increase your pay much, if any, too. They mainly want a 4 year degree and someone who is reliable and well mannered.

All this being said, good job on your weight loss so far!! :) ((sorry if I sounded negative, I just wanted to be realistic)
    Don't let things like clothes stop you from coming here. Think healthly and Happy and just enjoy! (^_^)
  • waterwing
    waterwing Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Hello, I've been living in Tokyo for a few years now and yes, larger sizes can be hard to come by. I find that I often resort to online shopping. Most places will ship to Japan for fairly low cost or free! I think no matter what size you are.. bring underwear/lingerie and shoes from home!
  • princessrisariri
    princessrisariri Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Hello, I've been living in Tokyo for a few years now and yes, larger sizes can be hard to come by. I find that I often resort to online shopping. Most places will ship to Japan for fairly low cost or free! I think no matter what size you are.. bring underwear/lingerie and shoes from home!

Thanks for the tips. I always presumed it would be really expensive to get clothes shipped to Japan.
  • _meesh_
    Options
    I've been living in Japan for almost 4 years now and here's what I can tell you about women's plus size clothing. Men's is a little easier to find, but not too much easier...

I'm an 18-20 in Canada/US sizing, and I can find tops without much trouble at Aeon and Ito Yokado department stores as well as Re-J, a chain store. Sometimes they're a little tight across the shoulders/arms if they're not a stretchier material. Usually I wear a 4L or 5L. Pants are more of a problem for me. I'm just a little to hippy for most Japanese pants. If I can find a 5L in a stretch material or a 100 waist, it fits.

The problem is that the larger sizes tend to be geared more towards the older generations- kinda like plus size clothes were about 10-15 years ago in North America, before places like Torrid and Forever 21 started making younger/nicer stuff.

Underwear and bras are a little more difficult, especially since everything changes every season. So, if you find a good pair of underwear you need to stock up cause in a few months they won't be around anymore. If you're bigger than a C/D 36 bras are almost impossible to find.

And as someone else said, if your shoe size is larger than a US 8-9 bring your shoes cause you won't find them here.
  • seaoftears
    seaoftears Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am an American in Japan, been living here about two years.
    I am between size 12-14(top) 16-18(on bottom), 174CM- 5'9" US.
    Have had lots and lots of difficulty finding clothing that fits me.
    I end up buying mostly male shirts, shoes, socks(sometimes even their underpants) to survive.
    I usually have to spend lots of money buying from Oldnavy.com or other apparel companies that will actually ship to Japan.
    And in my experience, I have lost a great deal because I cant try them on, and they are not always true to size. (i have a stack of online jeans sitting in my closet waiting for me to wear them!)
    There are some shops that sell larger sizes 3L-5L, but they are most of the time pretty ugly.
    I got lucky and was able to find 2 pairs of 5L(size 10US womens)shoes in a far away prefecture visiting my mother in law, but they arent that cute either.

There are some specialty shops in Shibuya who only cater to plus size females. They are pricey and ugly(old lady looking)
    One girl working there was a larger Japanese and she said she was wearing OLD NAVY males jeans. :/
    I have also had small luck going to UNI QLO http://www.uniqlo.com/jp/?gclid=CIbHjb-l5L0CFRAJvAodwLEAFA
    for some PJS size XL.

You really must shop around to find anything.
    I would say you would have to be a size 0-8 to live here comfortably.
    Its unfortunate, but its just how Japan is.....
    But I have been seeing more and more heavy Japanese..the problem is, their bellies are big, but their legs and butts are still tiny....go figure..hahaha.
  • nevaeh1984
    Options
    Hi :D

I've been here for a few years as well, and as others mentioned: Online shopping is my saviour :) I find it cheaper that Japanese shops, even the old faithfuls like H&M and Zara. You'll find plenty of shops that delivery directly to Japan, many of them even do so for free if you order a certain amount (for example NewLook delivers for free for over 55GBP, which isn't really that much once you realize how much clothing costs in Japan!)

The exchange rate isn't helping my online shopping excursions though, hopefully it will get a bit better soon :)

I use a handful of shops (Asos, Dorothy Perkins, New Look, Mango) as they're what I'm used to. I rarely get something that doesn't fit, mainly because I've been buying from the same stores for years.

I restock on bras when I go home, but because I have favourite brands and know my size, it's usually cheaper to find a reseller on ebay.
  • yasemasuyo
    yasemasuyo Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Shimamura have a section with larger sizes, and the styles are usually quite trendy - and cheap!