What to do if you just don't feel like eating?

Options
GetWaisted
GetWaisted Posts: 33 Member
I'm two weeks post op and I'm now on soft foods. When I wake up in the morning I have a full feeling and it pretty much sticks w/ me all day. If I do feel the need to eat something, I'll try greek yogurt but after one or two spoons I'm done. I have no problem w/ water intake I can drink all day until it comes to protein. I don't like the Isopure clear liquids and all the shakes are too sweet or too thick and make me gag. I know I need my protein I just have no idea how to get it. I even tried those New Whey 3oz vials, drank 1/2 and then threw it up. I just have no idea what to do. Any suggestions?

Replies

• capecodgirl50
    capecodgirl50 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I can strongly relate - i am having that issue now and I was sleeved March 27.

forget the protein - i can't take that in.

I am trying to drink water often but I am even having trouble with my second phase.
  • GetWaisted
    Options
    I just forced my self to eat a little bit of melted mozzarella. Just about two pinches. I'm sure that will be it for me for the day, back to my crystal light and water.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the Unjury chicken soup with protein? You HAVE to make sure you get your protein, this is serious business and if you don't you are risking your health. Please keep trying things until you find something that works.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Kroger carbmaster skim milk. 11g of protein per cup. milk counts as fluid intake. set a timer for 15 min. take 2 sips every 15. not getting the fluid and protein in will seriously stall your wt loss, lead to likely profound hairloss, and persistent nausea with eating for months after surgery. you need protein to repair from surgery. contact your surgical team for advice. not getting in the protein makes things worse, not better. We all went thru the phase of gagging down the shakes that we weren't hungry for. 2 spoons of greek yogurt every 2hours is better than nothing. Hopefully you are getting down your vitamins. Sorry to nag, just worried for you. Good Luck
  • VAR1693
    VAR1693 Posts: 6
    Options
    I'm still having issues - three weeks after surgery - eating. Just don't feel like eating or drinking - not good. My lifesaver has been Premier Protein chocolate shakes. It only takes two of them to get 60g of protein. I am trying to get two of these a day plus I have this great recipe for mashed peas which have a little extra boost of protein and I mash them with 6 oz. of 0% greek yogurt for an extra protein push. This, plus about 32oz of fluid is about all I can manage.

The Premier Protein is best cold and I've been ordering mine off the internet - must better deal that way.

Hope you find this helpful - it's just what's worked for me!!!

Good luck!!!!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing, just didn't feel like eating for a long time after surgery. But garber6th is right, getting your protein is important on so many levels. I couldn't do the sweet stuff at first so I survived on protein infused chicken broth, beef broth and clear soups I got from my surgeon's office. So the Unjury chicken broth is a really good idea. The other thing you might want to try is unflavored protein powder. You could add that to anything you drink as long as it's not boiling. For some reason boiling hurts the protein. So regular chicken broth, water with Crystal Light, etc. I use Syntrax brand and it really is unflavored. Never changed the flavor, but did sometimes changed the consistency.

Hang in there folks. The liquid only part of the journey doesn't last too long.
  • candacet36
    candacet36 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    You need to find something that works for you! If you don't get the protein you need you are compromising your health and some of the consequences of that will be hair loss and brittle nails. I know you think not a big deal...but wait until your hair comes out in chunks....happened to me!

I would suggest going to a GNC/Vitamin Shoppe and picking up samples. There is an Isopure that is 40 grams protein. My go to was Syntrax Nectar. I got to the point where I hated chocolate and vanilla anything!!!
  • tabithascatena
    tabithascatena Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Injury makes a plain protein powder with no flavor. You can add it to just about anything, including your yogurt. I purchased it online.

Hope that or one of the other ideas help!!
  • tabithascatena
    tabithascatena Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Unjury not injury! Sorry!
  • GetWaisted
    Options
    Thx everyone you've all been really helpful. I ordered the unjury a few days ago and it came in today so I'll give that a try. I also picked up a 6pk of Premier. I'm about to get really strict w/ this protein regimen. I'll also try mixing that Unjury in my yogurt. The only advice I got from my surgeon's PA was try harder to get the protein in but don't force yourself, which really wasn't helpful. Thx again all.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Good luck!