Introducing

Options
_Resolve_
_Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
Hello all – I just signed up for CrossFit this afternoon, first class is on Monday. Just wanted to drop in and say hello, ill be lurking around and will have some thoughts to add once I get rolling. If anyone has any newbie pointers they are welcomed!

Replies

• jordymils
    jordymils Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Hey and welcome!! Only pointers you really need to know before you start is to listen to everything the coaches say, don't go whole-hog straight off the bat (listen to your body, start with 2-3 sessions per week and see how you feel), give it a full 30 days before you decide if you're going to continue or not, but most of all - HAVE FUN!!!
    The rest you will figure out as you go, as you see how you react and how the sport treats you.
    Crossfit changed my life for the better in sooooo many ways 2.5 years ago and I'll never look back. I love every second and being a part of such an awesome community.
    Enjoy!!
  • ahemming1
    ahemming1 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

Everything Jordy said ...

I've been in for 2 years now, and love it! It's changed my life as well...I constantly call it my fountain of youth. I've never been in better shape.

Get to know people in your Box. It's a great community. And, I'm not just talking about my own Box. It's fun to go to other boxes if you happen to travel.

Go to competitions when you can...even if it's just as a spectator at first. They are so exciting and get you motivated!

On the technical side...Your lifts...work on form first. It's hard to undo something you've been doing wrong all along. It may just be the little things, but it helps to get it right in the beginning with lighter weight.

Last, don't worry or compare yourself to others...well, at least at the beginning. I know that a lot of us are competitive and watch what everyone else does, I think that's natural. But, the most important thing is to enjoy your own success and improvement.

Best of luck to you!
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Last, don't worry or compare yourself to others...well, at least at the beginning. I know that a lot of us are competitive and watch what everyone else does, I think that's natural. But, the most important thing is to enjoy your own success and improvement.

This!

Some good articles
    http://www.tabatatimes.com/5-whiteboard-misconceptions-ruining-crossfit-experience/
    http://breakingmuscle.com/strength-conditioning/training-through-injuries-the-dos-and-donts
  • MDLNH
    MDLNH Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with what everybody above my post has said - I would add (or stress) the following:

- Always put your technique/form first - the heavier weights will come later.
    - You'll gain weight at 1st, but if you're consistent w/ your nutrition, the results (a leaner you) will be seen.
    - Don't worry about running out and buying tons of gear ($$) Nanos, olympic lifting shoes; knee supports, etc. Don't worry, you'll eventually get them, but they aren't needed to be a succesful crossfitter.
    - There will be the "Crossfit Haters" and you'll run into them - Just ignore them. *They don't know what they're missing !!!
    - Be prepared to start talking about nothing but Crossfit all the time and the terms we use :-)
    - Most importantly - Stick with it. Your body will feel sore, but you'll quickly notice that you taken your abilities to new heights. And you'll notice the changes in other activities you do.

I'm coming up on 2 years of crossfitting and it has been an amazing journey and transformation for me both physically and mentally. I am now in the best shape of my life and only look forward to reaching new heights. I have met amazing people through crossfit and they have become some of me closest friends.

Good Luck !!!
  • _Resolve_
    Options
    Thanks for the responses all, tonight is the first class. I'm super excited, as I have a century ride this Sunday the trainers told me they would scale everything back for this week to get me used to things and then turn up the heat a little more next week after the ride. I know this is going to bring my fitness to a new level, I've done well for the past year and a half getting my weight down and now its time to build the new me.

and yes.. I've already run into the haters, but that's ok.. everyone is entitled to believe what they want.

I am also curious if anyone here is a diabetic and tried to adapt to Paleo. I am not 100% sold on the idea yet but will look into it more.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Look over on Mark's Daily Apple. I think he's written somethings about Primal (paleo+dairy) regarding diabetes and what you might want to watch out for.
  • sayhitostephz
    sayhitostephz Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I echo everything that's already been said but mostly

1) Ease into it, don't go too hard too fast or you will be more likely to injure yourself.
    2) You will be pretty sore for the first 2 week - month depending on your fitness level - stick with it!
    3) Form/technique or weight all day, every day.
    4) Enjoy every sweaty, grimy, terrible, wonderful minute of it!

I've been doing it for about a year now and absolutely LOVE it. It has changed my life in so many ways - including strengthening a weak lower back that used to always give out and strengthen my legs enough that my arthritis doesn't bother me pretty much at all anymore (used to hurt constantly). Seriously, I cannot say enough great things about Crossfit!
  • _Resolve_
    Options
    Well I did my first group class this afternoon, 90 minutes filled with:

Bear Crawls
    Duck Walks
    Caterpillars
    500 meter row
    30 situps
    20 pushups
    10 pull ups
    tried front squats -- need to work on getting my elbows up more
    Back Squats

Then the WoD x2 of
    Box ups x15
    Push Press x15
    KB Swing x15
    400m run

Burned 950 calories per polar ..

Looking forward to tomorrow, I was absolutely smoked but it felt good!
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    This is a good mentality. I don't know that you'll necessarily gain weight, but you won't lose at the rate you think you should be based on the amount of effort you are expending. I still have a VERY long way to go, but my core/trunk strength went through the roof since last July when I started. To the point that my wife grabbed me once and stopped and started feeling my mid-section saying "wow that crossfit really works"

What I tell the haters is that we all need to find something we will enjoy and stick with. That is the key for me. I got bored doing Stronglifts and needed something different.If they don't, good for them.
    I completely agree with what everybody above my post has said - I would add (or stress) the following:

- Always put your technique/form first - the heavier weights will come later.
    - You'll gain weight at 1st, but if you're consistent w/ your nutrition, the results (a leaner you) will be seen.
    - Don't worry about running out and buying tons of gear ($$) Nanos, olympic lifting shoes; knee supports, etc. Don't worry, you'll eventually get them, but they aren't needed to be a succesful crossfitter.
    - There will be the "Crossfit Haters" and you'll run into them - Just ignore them. *They don't know what they're missing !!!
    - Be prepared to start talking about nothing but Crossfit all the time and the terms we use :-)
    - Most importantly - Stick with it. Your body will feel sore, but you'll quickly notice that you taken your abilities to new heights. And you'll notice the changes in other activities you do.

I'm coming up on 2 years of crossfitting and it has been an amazing journey and transformation for me both physically and mentally. I am now in the best shape of my life and only look forward to reaching new heights. I have met amazing people through crossfit and they have become some of me closest friends.

Good Luck !!!
  • _Resolve_
    Options
    End of my third week..

I can't believe I am just now starting CrossFit, I could go on for hours about why I love it. But I think ill just say that I have never met a more supportive bunch of crazy people, after every day I am on the floor, breathless and wondering how the hell I just did what I did. I cant wait to come back the next day and hit it harder than the last.

I had a check in with my dietitian today, we did a body comp test. Not only did I hit my weight loss goal but in the past 4 weeks I have gained 1.8lbs of muscle, lost 1 pound of body fat and am retaining 3 lbs of water. My body fat % dropped by a whole % and my "fat free mass" has dropped by 4.8 lbs.

After I got the good news I went right to the box and crushed the Friday WOD: 2 rounds 2 mins at each station - box jumps, wallballs, KB swings, goblet squats, 800m run. Tomorrow is my rest day and Sunday I have a 30 mile bike ride.

Just thought Id update, so pumped.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    End of my third week..

I can't believe I am just now starting CrossFit, I could go on for hours about why I love it. But I think ill just say that I have never met a more supportive bunch of crazy people, after every day I am on the floor, breathless and wondering how the hell I just did what I did. I cant wait to come back the next day and hit it harder than the last.

I had a check in with my dietitian today, we did a body comp test. Not only did I hit my weight loss goal but in the past 4 weeks I have gained 1.8lbs of muscle, lost 1 pound of body fat and am retaining 3 lbs of water. My body fat % dropped by a whole % and my "fat free mass" has dropped by 4.8 lbs.

After I got the good news I went right to the box and crushed the Friday WOD: 2 rounds 2 mins at each station - box jumps, wallballs, KB swings, goblet squats, 800m run. Tomorrow is my rest day and Sunday I have a 30 mile bike ride.

Those numbers sound about right. I believe the body needs more water to deal with muscle repair so that makes sense.

Glad you are enjoying it. I'd also suggest (if you haven't already) becoming good friends with the foam roller. Really helps us older guys get back into the game quicker.
  • _Resolve_
    Options
    End of my third week..

Those numbers sound about right. I believe the body needs more water to deal with muscle repair so that makes sense.

Glad you are enjoying it. I'd also suggest (if you haven't already) becoming good friends with the foam roller. Really helps us older guys get back into the game quicker.

Yeap, me and my foam roller have a special relationship
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your CrossFit adventure is off to a great start. I hope you continue to enjoy it!