FIRSTIES!!!!

Options
doctorsookie
doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
Who was your FIRST Doctor? What did you FIRST like about the doctor? And who do you FIRST credit for for introducing you to the Doctor.

I remember my fiance watching Doctor Who when we were dating but we were too into each other to watch television so the only thing I know for sure is it was David on the screen. My first full blown experience of the Doctor came from Matt Smith...and he totally rocked my world and changed my life forever! :heart: :smooched:

The first thing I loved about Doctor Who was it lacked the predictableness other shows have. I loved that just when I thought I had it figured out, the Doctor proved me wrong. I loved that and it kept me coming back again and again until I had to admit I was obsessed. :love: :bigsmile:

I blame, no I thank my fiance for turning me onto the show. He had no idea what he was creating at the time but he accepts responsibility and he definitely enables my habit. :blushing: :laugh: :tongue:

Replies

• TheDoctorDonna10
    Options
    Well Christopher Eccleston was my first Doctor that I actually got to watch. I'd known about the show since I was a kid & ALWAYS wanted to watch it, I was immediately in love with the idea of the show, but had no way to actually see it. We never had cable or anything (3 channels only) & barely had an internet connection, but I had BOOKS!!! :happy:

After I married my current husband we finally got Netflix (I caved) & I immediately starting watching the new DW obsessively. I'm still working on watching all the classic DW & catching up on several other shows(we didn't have tv at all for years). :noway:

I don't think there's really anybody I can credit for my love though, the show just spoke for itself & I finally got to watch it after a lifetime of wishing! :love:
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    The first one I saw was William Hartnell.

Because of a deprived childhood (long story involving Doctor Who not being shown on Ireland's national TV station when I was young), I never got to see any Doctor Who. :grumble:

And then not seeing the relaunched version because it wasn't advertised that it was being shown on one of the TV stations in Ireland. :grumble:

So I basically started with the DVD's of Hartnell and then started with the DVD's of Eccleston.

At the moment, I'm up to near the end of Patrick Troughton's reign and also almost at the end of Tennant's.

E.T.A.: This makes post 3,400 for me. confetti.gif
  • RavenhairedWoman
    RavenhairedWoman Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Hmm.. My first Episode was one with Eleven I think. Then I watched Blink with Ten and then I started at the beginning of New Who with Nine.

I can't explain what got me hooked (aside from my addictive personality when glowing screens are involved). I think it was the overall concept, the idea of a character that regenerates, and the possibilities in a storyline with a time machine.

I credit my friend Jay for getting me hooked on Doctor Who by being my surrogate boyfriend who I could make dinner for and watch TV with but not have to worry about the whole dating and sex bit.

I credit my friend Melissa for feeding my Doctor Who obsession and for getting most of my geeky jokes (she doesn't get the gamer ones though).
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I think my first official doctor may have been the 8th when the TV movie came out. I wasn't sure what to think about it though. I always count 9 as mine because I really got into the series and just loved him best out of the 3. 10 and 11 are great too, but yeah...I count 9 as mine. lol
  • navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I don't know who the Doctor was the first time I saw the show. All I remember is being terrified by Cybermen. I think I caught an episode on PBS when I was 8 or something and it scarred me for YEARS.

Most of my friends on Facebook are Doctor Who fans, but I still didn't watch it. Then they started raving about Torchwood, and for some reason I started with that. Loved it, and then immediately had to start watching Doctor Who so I could see more Captain Jack. :laugh: I started with "Rose" and Eccleston and he is my official first Doctor. :heart:
  • DoctahJenn
    DoctahJenn Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Who was your FIRST Doctor? What did you FIRST like about the doctor? And who do you FIRST credit for for introducing you to the Doctor.

I give credit to two groups of people for my Doctor Who addiction:

First and foremost, I credit my husband's friends. They were the first people to inform me that bowties are in fact cool, and TARDIS are the preferred method of travel. However, some credit must be given to imgur, for their dedication to posting the best scenes that finally convinced me to buckle down and try it.

I had a long discussion with the said friends about where to begin, and they suggested that I go for the new stuff first, because I have a hard time watching older shows. But they made me swear to give it one whole season before giving up, because as they said, the show had some growing pains as it tried to find its place. But it didn't take one whole season - I was, I think, three or four episodes in and completely hooked.

Obviously, that means my first Doctor was Eccleston, and I definitely have a strong bias towards him for that. What drew me in was his sas. I *love* that sort of humor, and he was amazing at it.

4bRrQtg.gif

IWczx98.gif
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options

E.T.A.: This makes post 3,400 for me. confetti.gif

And obviously some of the controversial threads that I have posted in were deleted because I'm back to 3,398 pouty.gif
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    My first was Smith, I had a nagging feeling that Doctor Who would capture me, but never had the chance to watch. Finally it appeared in the Space channel and I caught a couple episodes. LOVE immediate. I then started buying off iTunes, and eventually found a site on the internet to watch streaming for free... then along came Netflix. BAM... addict.
  • SoosannahK
    SoosannahK Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Tom Baker was my first doctor. I loved 4 and his long scarf and leading K9 around with it. One of these days I am going to make me a 4 scarf. I have the pattern just need the supplies. My dad was a big Who fan and some of my best memories of him when I was little were sitting and watching Dr. Who on Saturday afternoons. As I grew up, I grew away from Who catching an episode here and there. Then one day I was cruising Netflix and found the nuWho and fell in love all over again.
  • benaddict
    benaddict Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    My first doctor was Nine, because I started at the beginning. I actually started 3 or 4 times and always gave up a couple episodes in. I liked Nine but the aliens were just too weird for me. Finally my little sister convinced me to keep going, so I did, and the first thing I loved about it was Nine's sarcasm and sass! When Ten came along, for about 3 episodes I was going, he is SO not the Doctor... but of course I eventually learned to love him too. :)