Protein intake on non lifting days

Options
Star_1234
Star_1234 Posts: 123 Member
Hi ladies,

Have a quick question to ask. I eat 0.8-1g of protein per lb of my body weight on weight lifting days.

On non weight lifting days, I don't eat so much protein. Should I be eating 0.8-1g of protein per lb of my body weight on my non weight lifting days aswell?

Thanks

Replies

• jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    I personally like to keep calories and macro levels pretty static throughout the week. On the weekend I do find that if I don't focus on protein, I can fall low on it. The typical recommendations for protein while lifting on a calorie deficit is .6-.8 g/lb of body weight or 1 g/lb of lean body mass. So if you know your LBM, then you can go off of that.

Getting in the protein is important in helping retain your lean body mass and I try to make it my primary focus in my meal planning. Will a day or two of lower protein hurt your efforts? Probably not if you are able to hit your macro goals the rest of the week. If you find yourself low on other days then don't let yourself slide on non-lifting days.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Technically, you don't even need to be eating that much protein in order to gain muscle mass. Eating more than you need definitely won't kill you, either, and there's a good chance it'll keep you more full than carbs would.

Now the FDA's recommendation of like 30g of protein per day is also a joke. If you find somewhere in between where you feel satisfied it really shouldn't be a problem at all. I think I remember something about 1 to 1.5g per kg, so that's actually a bit lower than that .8 per pound. The 1g per pound of lean body mass can also be a good one to go off of. Plenty of formulas out there so stick to whatever works for you. Generally speaking, if you're over 100g per day you won't be losing out on any gains.
  • Star_1234
    Star_1234 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses, I weigh 129lbs. So If I need to eat 0.6-0.8g of protein per lb; I need to eat between 77g to 103g per day.

So far, I have been eating around 90g on my lifting days and around 50g on my non lifting days.

I did a quick average of the amount of protein I have been eating per day over the last month and its been 71g.

I will need to up my protein intake.

Thanks again! x
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I'm 137lbs and I aim to eat at least 100g every day, but if I'm a few grams low on a non lifting day I don't sweat it. If I'm low on lifting days I'll have some greek yogurt or cottage cheese after dinner, even if it means going a bit over my calorie goal.
    Also, I pretty much only watch the calories on Sunday... It's my carbs and fats day. :blushing:
    Prelogging definitely helps!
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I try to keep a constant eating level, both calories and macro-wise regardless of lifting/ no lifting days. Since I have lot of fat I go by the lean body mass instead of total. My total is a bit above 200, but my lean is 120 lb , so I aim to 120 g a day. Often I do not make it, but I almost always reach the 100g.
    Depending on what I cook there is minor fluctuations, but I don't sweat it.
    I generally love meat and cheese, so it is not that hard to reach for me. I rather give up all the carbs in the world , just give me bacon :blushing:
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I eat the same everyday, regardless if I'm lifting or not.

30% of my calories come from protein, so @ 125lbs BW I usually take in 140-160 grams/day. Some may think that's a little high but it works great for me.
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I eat at least 150g/day, regardless of if I lifted that day or not. It works well for me; like krokador said, I find that the protein keeps me fuller for longer than carbs.