Looking for a few friends that understand PCOS

Options
2»

Replies

• CatShelton
    CatShelton Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Hi Christy,

My name is Cheryl (cat) and I am 29. I have been struggling with this for about 4 years and was finally diagnosed last year. I have finally found a combination of things that works for me and recently lost 12 lbs. I am working on losing another 50 and so excited that this is finally working! It can be so hard sometimes because no one understands what it feels like to be doing everything "right" and not get results. If you need a friend feel free to add me, and message me anytime. I am a good listener, and a good friend.

Cat
  • AmazingGracexox
    AmazingGracexox Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hey :) I'm new to this forum stuff so forgive my noobiness lol.

I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 14 (I'm 22 now) & I've always been big. I recently got married and even though we're not financially stable enough to have children yet, I want to lose weight as I'm petrified of the thought of never having them.

I started taking metformin again in January (500mg twice daily) but I'm still finding it ridiculously hard to shift the weight. I've started going to the gym 4 times a week (Cardio Interval Training & occasional weights) but I'm just not seeing the results I want.

I've tried very low carb diet but I just feel lethargic & find I feel faint whilst working out (this happened a few years ago when I was on a normal diet & taking 6000mg of metformin daily, so I stopped taking it & was fine)

Also, does anyone think that the estimated calories burned are overestimated?

Feel free to add me, I need like minded support :)
  • Courtney4805
    Courtney4805 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I definitely feel they are overestimated, as a rule of thumb I only eat about haft back
  • madambutterfly91
    madambutterfly91 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have had hormone issues since I started having a cycle, but it wasn't till last month that I got this pcos diagnosis. I'm still trying to come to terms with it to be honest, but it is definitely a fit for all the issues I have been struggling with. I would love to have some people to talk to about it, and help support me as I try to loose a significant amount of weight.
  • AmazingGracexox
    Options
    I've just looked at my old posts. Now that my dosage of Metformin is right I'm thriving on a low carb, low fat, high protein diet. I try to stay under 100g carbs & 60g fat a day and try to eat at least 200g protein :)
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I've just looked at my old posts. Now that my dosage of Metformin is right I'm thriving on a low carb, low fat, high protein diet. I try to stay under 100g carbs & 60g fat a day and try to eat at least 200g protein :)

Why low carb and low fat?
  • lmhbuss
    lmhbuss Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Hello! I also have PCOS. I was diagnosed in my early twenties after years of very obvious symptoms and am currently 36. I've lost 85lbs so far without medication or starvation, so it IS possible to achieve your goals with PCOS. Sometimes it just takes a little longer. :drinker:
  • AmazingGracexox
    Options

If I did low carb, high fat I wouldn't be able to eat the quantities I enjoy eating whilst still staying under my calorie goal. Plus, I have a history of heart disease in the family & high fat will put me at an increased risk. I aim for 20%carb, 30% fat & 50% protein :)
  • rannc
    rannc Posts: 13 Member
    Options

If I did low carb, high fat I wouldn't be able to eat the quantities I enjoy eating whilst still staying under my calorie goal. Plus, I have a history of heart disease in the family & high fat will put me at an increased risk. I aim for 20%carb, 30% fat & 50% protein :)

It appears it's working for you in terms of weight lost. Many people find that eating a high fat, low carb diet is more satiating. I try to eat 80+ grams of fat from various sources, ~70-80 grams of proteins, and less than 50 net grams of carbs.

Additionally, when you're eating a very low carb diet (which is what I cycle through--some days I drop below 20 net carbs and others I'm around 50 net), eating excess protein *can* cause an insulin reaction.
  • MrsBexyBee
    MrsBexyBee Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new to the group too and would be happy to befriend anyone else going through the same struggles :) I'm 27 and was diagnosed at 16 after my aunt flo decided she just didn't want to pay me any visits! She still doesn't! Some women consider me blessed, but I sure wish she'd come along! My husband and I feel ready to start our family but obviously my reproductive organs have never wanted to join the party. I've been told (as I'm sure we all have) that losing weight will treat it and improve my fertility, but that aside, if I want any kind of fertility treatment on the NHS I must be in the healthy BMI range...well I'm currently in the high 40's so you can see the long path ahead of me!

Anyhow, yes, I'd love to get involved around here and if anyone would like to befriend me then I'd be more than happy to reciprocate :)
  • caitjune77
    caitjune77 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!! My name is Caitlin and I have battled PCOS since I was 19 and I am now 31. I have battled weight loss as well and am always looking for new ways to change up my diet and jump start my metabolism.

I am glad I found this thread and will be looking for your ideas....Thank you!!
  • amethyst70
    amethyst70 Posts: 68
    Options
    I am almost 44. Diagnosed with PCOS at 30 while suffering through secondary infertility. Since then I have had 3 out of 4 successful pregnancies. All total I have 4 children. I am a HUGE supporter of progesterone supplements during pregnancy from conception to bare minimum 24 weeks. I have had 1 m/c due to a Dr. Who refused to prescribe progesterone. My last 4 pregnancies were conceived while I was on a low carb diet.

It can get better and a big part of it can be influenced with diet. I also have been exercising and lifting weights. For me the extra testosterone helps a lot with the weight lifting. Lol. Feel free to friend me!
  • Marci41527
    Marci41527 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I am Marci 36 years old. Have 3 kids. Diagnosed couple years ago. Had bariatric surgery in 2008, but in the last year have gained 60 lbs and can't get off. Could use some support bif anyone wants to add me.
  • AmazingGracexox
    Options
    if I want any kind of fertility treatment on the NHS I must be in the healthy BMI range

This is one of the main reasons I want to get down to a 'healthy' BMI too! I'm aiming for the top end for my height which is 12st 12lbs so I need to lose 8 stone in total. I feel it's a bit too much & even though we're not TTC I don't want them to be able to use my weight as an excuse not to help me when the right time comes.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

If it's working for you, and you're healthy, then awesome. However, do keep in mind that "fat increases heart disease risk" is a myth. I highly recommend checking out the stuff by Dr. Peter Attia, particularly these two items:

http://eatingacademy.com/how-low-carb-diet-reduced-my-risk-of-heart-disease (all the specifics of how a low carb, high fat diet actually greatly improved his markers for heart disease; his results are typical)
    (The limits of scientific evidence and the ethics of dietary guidelines -- 60 years of ambiguity; It's a rather in-depth look at how the anti-fat craze was pretty much entirely politically motivated, and what the science actually says)

Also, keep in mind the risks associated with low carb, low fat, high protein diets. Protein isn't really a fuel source (it can be used as one, but it shouldn't be), and the more you rely on it for fuel, the more stress you put on your liver and kidneys. If your protein intake goes too much higher, you'll be putting yourself at risk for protein poisoning, which is deadly. I highly recommend giving a higher-fat variation a try.