Build thread

Options
dpwellman
dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
More or less a place holder because it's all useless without pictures. . . but all parts are acquired or en route.

Here's what I'm starting with:

2lx9f2s.jpg

Replies

• cowbellsandcoffee
    cowbellsandcoffee Posts: 2,975 Member
    Options
    Nice. I had a Bridgestone RB-2 back in '88.

Shimano Exage Sport components.

Ahhh...my first index shifting bike with aero hoods.

The memories. :bigsmile:
  • slocyclist
    slocyclist Posts: 95
    Options
    This will be fun to watch! I have the RB-1's slower brother, the RB-T that I bought new in 1992. What are your plans? Period correct, or modern components?
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    UPDATE:

Frame is still at the shop. . waiting on spacers so they can set the star fangled nut. Original headset was completely trashed. . . wanted to go with carbon and/or threadless anyway.

Thought about going period, but dissatisfied with condition at a lot of the parts I've found. . . they're just. . old now.

It's getting a mostly SRAM Force drivetrain (medium/WiFli derailleur. . . Brakes and FD are Rival) -- Have red hoods, for now.
    Thomson seatpost (one of the few that still make the required 27.0)
    Thomson Stem
    Ritchey Biomax Bar (my favorite bar) wraped in Fizik Microtex
    Cane Creek 110 Classic headset
    Carbon fork (doesn't quite match, yet, but will)
    Fizik Antares VS saddle (Confidis)

Found these sweet bottle cages at Velo Orange: http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/accessories/water-bottles-cages/vo-moderniste-stainless-steel-cage.html
    moderniste.jpg

Finally Velocity A23 rims (32h) laced to 105 hubs. Straight gauge spokes.

Oh, and tires. . . I initially though Schwalbe Durano S, but for the coming tour, I'm going with Maxxis Re-Fuse-- heavier, but a bit tougher.
  • slocyclist
    slocyclist Posts: 95
    Options
    That sounds like an excellent plan. You're starting with a classic, lively frame, and using reliable modern components. Should be an extremely versatile bike when finished!

I've got those bottle cages on my Bridgestone RB-T. Theywork great, and even fit my insulated Klean Kanteen bottles.

DSC_0001-M.jpg