Can we talk about fear of success?

Options
BodyByChipsAhoy
BodyByChipsAhoy Posts: 60 Member
I had a great weigh-in for my very first week here. So why do I now want to go off plan?

I totally believe one can have a fear of success. I was telling this to a therapist one time and he said its not possible to have a fear of success. (It goes without saying that I ditched him after that).

Curious to see if anyone else has this problem and if so, have you found ways to combat it?

Hope everyone has a great day!

Replies

• carimiller7391
    carimiller7391 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Not only do I hear fear of success, but I tend to self-sabatoge (can't spell) for that reason. I am so SCARED of losing weight and getting to a healthy range for fear of who I will become and how people will treat me. You see, in 2001, I got down to 235 from 333 lbs. People whom I worked with who never even smiled at me, started to take notice and tried talking to me. Boy did it bother me. I am now and was then the exact same person inside and deserved to be treated with respect.

As I sit here, holding in the tears, thinking about how that made me feel..... I know I need to do this for me. I want to live a happy full life. Which fear is stronger...dying young or not being able to live life to the fullest OR being smaller and healthy.
  • BodyByChipsAhoy
    Options
    Cari, I hear you on the self-sabotage as well! Sometimes I set myself up for failure and I totally know that's what I'm doing at the time but I do it anyway.

I have also often thought of how I would feel when people began to be friendlier to me when I weigh less. I have never been at a normal weight since I was about 9 years old, so I don't know how that feels. I can imagine it would be heartbreaking to know what people may have thought about you then. I'm sorry that happened to you and sorry that its bringing up some painful memories.

I am also conscious of the fact that my weight is a safety mechanism for me. I know there are things in my childhood that my mind is not allowing me to remember, because it makes me feel safer to not be attractive to the opposite sex.
  • lindabeth333
    lindabeth333 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I can relate to both of you - there is so much emotion in these extra pounds I carry around and I think it can be scary and uncomfortable to open that up. I am a little nervous as I lost one pound this week putting me below 250 for the first time in ten years - I will always lose a few pounds but just wouldnt go below 250 I used to be half this weight but life was confusing and difficult and not always easy (oh real life!) Sometimes I feel more comfortable at my current weight. Not physically but emotionally. Maybe I feel people dont expect as much from me at this weight (and by people - I mean me) I do feel ready to lose this weight and be healthy and energetic. Lets focus on the positive and keep moving forward. The rest will sort itself out and probably will be easier than we think!
  • NorahCait
    NorahCait Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I'm constantly torn between fearing failure and fearing success. It's totally paralyzing. I fear failure so I self-sabotage because if I make the decision not to try, I'm not "failing." I fear success because I don't want to be treated differently because of my weight. I've barely started and people are already making comments about how I'm "slimming down" and "so and so used to be a bigger girl like you but look at her now!" It's so upsetting. I know it comes from a good place, but like you all said, people deserve respect at EVERY size.

Being fat and not horribly unhappy with how I look feels like a political statement. I don't want people to think I'm doing this to be more attractive. I don't want my other fat friends to feel like I think they're any less wonderful because I'm changing (many of them have chronic illnesses that make it extremely difficult if not impossible to lose weight). I want to kill the idea that the only good life is a thin life. I want to kill the idea that it's anyone else's business what someone's size or health is. I want everyone to be treated with dignity and respect. I fear success because I don't want to be a part of the constant chorus of "if you're fat, you're not acceptable."
  • monmonof3
    monmonof3 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks to everyone who has posted here. What incredible insight you have. I too am of the fat=safety because of childhood trauma. I have been thin and I have been and am fat. When I am thin I have trouble with issues of dealing with people (opposite sex) and I have issues of how much space I take up in the world. I feel minimized. I am trying to deal with this as I try to get healthy and trying to overcome fear of success.
  • KarenZen
    KarenZen Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    This is such a great topic! I love the way my body feels when I am losing weight and everyday activities get easier, but I also begin to self-sabotage. A big weight loss triggers me to binge rather than motivating me to keep going.
  • AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I have an overwhelming feeling of guilt if I'm successful at something. I was thinking earlier today that many of my friends probably hate me because I'm not slipping up on this diet thing and I'm always dropping weight like it ain't nothin'. When I've had successful careers I've felt guilty about having money in savings while other people around me have very little. I've sabotaged not only weight, but careers and things that I deserve in life. I procrastinate an unhealthy amount and my social anxiety is crippling.
  • julieworley376
    julieworley376 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    This is awesome to read and an awesome topic! I am excited to see how self aware everyone is, how you know already that you sabotage, it isn't a new idea. I too sabotage.. I am the most likely to go on a major binge after a very successful weight loss week.. and I have just realized how tied in that is. I also have trouble dealing with the male attention my weight loss causes me to have to deal with. I wonder what we can do to help us with this and the only thing I can come up with is to emphasize the health aspect.. I know it is hard to deal with that people treat you differently, but that really is their issue.. our issue is being healthy for ourselves and loved ones.
  • KarenZen
    KarenZen Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I wonder, too, how closely linked self-loathing is to sabotage? Although if you ask me if I love myself, I'll say yes, my behavior says otherwise. If I truly loved myself, would I have done this to my body?
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    This is utterly fascinating to me. I sincerely had no idea as many people self-sabotaged, whether intentional or not. I don't exactly know why I fear success, just that I do. Every time I take a few steps forward and actually RECOGNIZE that I have made progress, fear sets in, and I regress, no matter how motivated I was the moment before.

What I have come to the conclusion of, is that I put off recognizing any progress as long as possible, minimize my own successes (just try to get me in a conversation about having lost 80 pounds - I don't feel like it is 80 pounds, that was a different me. 17.8 pounds since 2/19, now that I'll claim (and wow, I didn't realize it was almost 20 pounds now!). I also keep my goals as fluid as possible. If I have hard and fast goals, I can almost guarantee that I will sabotage to keep myself from trying and achieving them.

But my self-sabotage goes far further than my weight. i have damaged my own career, my relationships, and definitely my weight gone process (I'm not losing weight. I'm getting rid of it - and gaining health. I have NO INTENTION of finding it again!) - stolen quote...

And every time I try to discover the underlying reasons for my fears, I think it is all just fear of change. Everything will be different, yet it will all be the same. I can't understand why I have so much anxiety over everything...personal accountability? I can use excuses for being fat, but if I try to lose weight and I fail, that is fully my own responsibility...

How do y'all defeat this seemingly endless cycle?
  • kaliya89
    kaliya89 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Being fat and not horribly unhappy with how I look feels like a political statement. I don't want people to think I'm doing this to be more attractive. I don't want my other fat friends to feel like I think they're any less wonderful because I'm changing (many of them have chronic illnesses that make it extremely difficult if not impossible to lose weight). I want to kill the idea that the only good life is a thin life. I want to kill the idea that it's anyone else's business what someone's size or health is. I want everyone to be treated with dignity and respect. I fear success because I don't want to be a part of the constant chorus of "if you're fat, you're not acceptable."

NorahCait - I feel the exact same way! I think part of why I've had such trouble losing weight the past few years is because part of me doesn't want to. I hate the idea that I can only be healthy if I have a BMI of less than 25. I hate that I eat better than a lot of skinny people, yet people I assume I eat nothing but garbage all the time. I hate that we're constantly told that if we're fat we don't deserve anything - that we don't deserve to be happy or loved, that we don't deserve to feel good about ourselves, that we don't deserve to wear whatever we want without giving a crap what anyone else thinks. We've been told for so long that beauty = thinness, and I don't want people to think that I agree with that, which I think is part of why I'm holding myself back.

Part of my attempt to reconcile my beliefs with my desire to lose weight is to set my goal weight higher than it's "supposed" to be, at least according to BMI charts. My goal weight is 190, and that would put me back to what I was in high school. It's about 10 pounds short of putting me back in the "obese" category, but when I weighed that much I could run with no real difficulties. I had no health problems. I liked how I looked. I just want to get back to that. I don't care about being skinny or thin anymore.

Of course, that's just what I've decided. I am by no means trying to put down anyone who *is* trying to get to a "normal" BMI or a "healthy" weight or anything like that. Everyone's different, and we have to figure out what will make us happy. Just thought I'd share my thoughts in case anyone was thinking something similar. :smile:
  • BodyByChipsAhoy
    Options
    Kaliya, that makes so much sense about not wanting to be a "healthy" (according to the charts) weight because it means you agree with the stereotype that skinny=beauty and that being skinny is the only way to be happy.

I also set goal weights higher than what is considered a healthy weight. Frankly at this point, I would be thrilled to be under 250 (havent been there in about 10 years) and absolutely over the moon to be under 200 (havent been there in 20 years). My goals in life are not longer centered around looking good to other people. I now have a child who depends on me and needs me to be there for him for a looooooong time, so its about getting healthy for him.

~Becky
  • PatrickB_87
    PatrickB_87 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I do have some fears or anger around success but not around my main goal of getting to a healthy weight. I think it helps in part that I haven;t put any stress on myself to reach any particular goals so I'm not so emotionally invested in my progress. Thats not to say i'm not working hard at it but that i'm taking it one day at a time and not setting strict goals other then to have a good day each day and let the mess-ups move on by. Granted I don't have a scale that can measure me at the moment so i'm living in ignorance and i guess thats bliss. Once I can track myself I'm sure their will be more emotion involved.

I've failed and succeeded to many times to spend a lot of energy on it. Maybe that sounds weird since its an issue that takes a lot of emotional energy, but right now I can't let that be an issue, it doesn't help me in my progress.

I did get very angry in the beginning with people knowing that I had started to try and loose weight. I hated to look on their faces, I hated their words of congratulations and support. I just wanted to scream at them to shut-up and that they were going to ruin it. I still get angry from time to time when family gets involved, I don't want your advice. Their a sense that this is mine and mine alone so stop getting involved. Their advice and support also feels like a judgment, like "we knew you were fat and unhealthy but we didn't want to say anything, were glad your taking care of yourself - good luck." Pissed me off to no end. It's the comments and the sense that people see you correcting something thats wrong with yourself, that your dieting, that makes me angry. I'm not a different person, I don't need them to tell me about myself. I'm doing this for me and no one else. It worries me how i'll be treated differently once i loose the weight. Just as no one would say anything about my weight now, why do you get to say something later. I may be losing an extra person in body weight, but I am still the same person. I also know most of this is in my head.

Of course I also want to attach other issues of happiness and self worth to my weight loss. While I know that can't be the case i do worry I will get to the goal and still be dissatisfied and unhappy. I hope not, wich is why i try to stay realistic about this journey. But we have all admitted we have quite a bit riding on this, emotionally. I said in the last paragraph that I am and will be the same person, but honestly how many of us are hopping we will be better people by the end. If I do have issues at the end then perhaps I will invest in a real therapist.

Then theirs the fear that it wont last. I'm 26, that either means I have a full life ahead of me at a healthy weight or I have a long life ahead of me trying not to go backwards.
  • debunny34
    debunny34 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Wow, I think I could have wrote all of your posts! I totally sabotage myself also! When I got down to 173 pounds I started getting attention also, and to be honest, it scared the crap out of me!! I wasn't used to it and didn't know how to take it. I did love how I felt to be able to actually buy large and extra large clothes instead of 3-5x's, but then I got depressed and just threw it all out of the window and gained about 150 pounds, so the 80 I had lost PLUS more!!! It is so easy though to just blame the depression, but I truly believe in my heart that that was not the only reason I just gave up. It was not knowing who I was anymore too. I didn't know who this much thinner person ( not thin by any longshot, but smaller than I have ever been in my adult life) was and couldn't deal with the attention. Now I realize though that I need to do this for me to be healthy; and just not let any attention like that get to me. I am doing this for myself and my children. I want to be around to see my grandbabies grow up and see my son grow up. I am terrified more of not being able to do that than getting attention for losing weight now.