Introduce Yourself!

Options
Wandering_1
Wandering_1 Posts: 95 Member
Hi guys. My name is Nikki. I am 46, married with our 15 yo still living at home. We moved to Minnesota from Texas so there is still a bit of culture shock. We live in Minnetonka but I miss smaller town living.

I am 5'1". My highest weight was 252 when I was diagnosed with cancer. I made it down to 243 then 237. It was slowly coming off but I wasn't getting healthy. When I joined MFP I was at 228. I'm down to 213 and I feel awesome! It's different this go round because I'm not on a diet. I'm on my journey to getting healthy and that includes changing my eating habits. I can't run a marathon weighing what I do now right? Walking up those stairs isn't as painful as it once was, that's weight related. I am not out of breath anymore. That's healthy by way of weight.

Having friends, support, being held accountable,cheering people on. That's what helps me stay motivated.

I started this group with the intent that we will have more opportunities & chances to make our journey more successful. More to come on that.

Can't wait to get to know my neighbors.

~ Nikki

Replies

• jpfly
    jpfly Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi Mikki! I'm Jen I'm 47 yo and single. I stared the Twin Cities group which is similar. But I was really hoping to meet some cool people who live near me who want to meet up for walking.hiking and biking around the citiy. I do all of these myself but motivated to do it more often with a partner. I'm pretty laid back. I like to hike and bike but I am not training to win a race. I just want to try to get into better shape and have fun while I am doing it. And then maybe drink a little wine on a patio before biking back.
  • denisejohnson754365
    Options
    Hello, My name is Denise and I am in Downtown St. Paul. I grew up in Minneapolis. I have been very overweight for longer than I can remember and I am done. My highest weight was 299.9 which was when I had a total knee replacement a few years ago, I got down to 227 but went right back to 285.I am very motivated to make the lifestyle changes necessary to get the weight off and keep it off. I am mostly an introvert although I appear to be an extrovert because I love to goof around and entertain people.It would be very good for me to meet other people on this path and go for a walk or hike or other exercise and get some support as well as give it.
  • Wandering_1
    Options
    Hi Jen! I am so sorry for not seeing the Twin Cities group. I too started the group in hopes to make some friends and have some local support. Getting together with people who are doing the same thing makes success that much more reachable. I do hope soon I will be able to hike & ride a bicycle longer than 5 minutes. It's a definite goal! Can't wait to get to know you!
  • Wandering_1
    Options
    Hi Denise!! Girl I can relate. This yo yo weight loss has got to stop. I think I'm finally getting it but I'm nervous none the same. Changing my eating habits is hard but exercising is harder. Getting motivated is a biggie for me because I'm too used to being on my butt. Pain was a good excuse to stay on it. I'm realizing that there are things I can be doing that won't mess with my back. I can't jog but I can walk. I can't get 10,000 steps in a day but I can get in 3000 now. I'm getting stronger and that's what matters. I'm okay with where I'm at because I know I'm trying and it's working....for me. Work at your own pace. Just don't give up. I'm a goof too. This should be fun!
  • MismatchedAlmonds
    MismatchedAlmonds Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I'm Dana. Just stumbled on this group when I was looking for some support/friendship of people who have the same amount of weight to lose as myself.

I have been an MNer my whole life. I went to college in Iowa and promptly moved back for family and friends when I graduated. I now live with my beau near dinkytown.

I have also been a yo-yoer. I was about 15 lbs too heavy in high school, lost it with WW, then ballooned in college and have not been able to lose more than about 5 lbs (which I then gain back!) ever since. I do not know precisely what my healthy weight is, but I imagine it's around 140 or 150, which means I have at least 100 lbs to lose.

Good luck to us all!!
  • denisejohnson754365
    Options
    Hey Nikki, Jen and Dana, birds of a feather lets fly and flock together. Right now I am trying to determine if food allergies are causing some of my problems, I have swelling and pain and have been reading that nightshade fruits and vegetables might be the root of the problem so I went off potatoes, tomatoes and peppers, eggplant, I think it is helping, I didn't realize how many of those foods I was eating until now,thinking that bell peppers and tomatoes were good for me, I believe that the things I crave are probably the things I'm allergic to and I crave ketchup and French fries and all forms of potatoes. Oh yeah, I am for sure allergic to chocolate, of course I crave that! but it causes severe skin problems and I think it is time for me to not have to deal with that. Hope everyone has a great weekend and that we become great friends. Love and Peace, Denise in St. Paul
  • lhbowen
    lhbowen Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am a recent transplant to Minnesota. I retired from the military in Texas but I'm actually from Virginia. I live south of the Twin Cities near New Prague and Lonsdale and although I've been here for 4 years I don't really get the "Minnesota Nice" and haven't made any good friends.
    All my life I've been heavy. I fought my weight throughout my military career and when I got out I packed on the pounds. I'm trying to lose them (again). I walk a lot by myself and I'm trying to learn to ride a bike. I'm also trying a C25K program.
  • MismatchedAlmonds
    MismatchedAlmonds Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    What about "Minnesota Nice" is confusing? How is it hindering your making friends?

I'm not insulting you, I'm just trying to make the connection.

In general I figure Minnesota Nice is a combination of "Its not my business to tell you what I really think" and "I super don't want a conflict right now."
  • lhbowen
    lhbowen Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I don't really get the "Minnesota Nice" and haven't made any good friends.

I consider most of my neighbors to be friends but I haven't found and 'good' friends.
    As for the "Minnesota Nice" I admit I got the term from a cute book given to me called "How to Speak Minnesotan" by Howard Mohr. I'm sorry if it confused you.
  • Wandering_1
    Options
    A few Minnesota people told me that Minnesota Nice is their version of nice. They have their own definition of nice. If you don't grow up with them they will put up with you but you will never be a part of "their" group. I don't know if it's because I'm from Texas and women are treated with respect ie opening doors, pulling back the chair, hat tipping. Yes it's really done. People look you in the eyes when walking by and say hello along with a smile. A conversation while you are in line is a guarantee. Here people don't acknowledge that you even exist. I smile at people as I pass by them but they must have not seen me. Someone sneezed today & said bless you. No smile, no thank you. Passed me by like I was invisible. Too many people have told me that they have their groups and outsiders are not welcome. They invite you to things but never call when they say they will. I realize this may not account for all Minnie's but I've been here 2 and a half years and have not one single friend. I don't mean to insult or be mean to anybody because I am hoping we can all stay on the same bus because by the time we get to where we need to be we will be taking a limo to celebrate!
  • denisejohnson754365
    Options
    Minnesota nice is a stereotype. I think it has to do with being polite. we might say hello or how are you and not mean it but it looks and sounds "nice" I have been here all my life and the truth is, some of us are *****es and don't care, some are *****es but do care, and some pretend they care when they don't. just like anyplace else. I work on being pleasant but I'm careful who I let into my inner circle because there are many people who don't like themselves so they want you to hurt too. the bottom line for me is this If we love ourselves we can love others, if we don't we won't be able to love anyone else. I have found that most humans don't love themselves and therefore are unable to love anyone else. I take people individually and see how each person treats me, I hope we can form a group of friends who hangout from this site, that would rock....
  • denisejohnson754365
    Options
    Here is a good definition I found: Minnesota nice is the stereotypical behavior of people born and raised in Minnesota to be courteous, reserved, and mild-mannered. The cultural characteristics of Minnesota nice include a polite friendliness, an aversion to confrontation, a tendency toward understatement, a disinclination to make a fuss or stand out, emotional restraint, and self-deprecation.[1] It can also refer to traffic behavior, such as slowing down to allow another driver to enter a lane in front of the other person. Critics have pointed out negative qualities, such as passive aggressiveness and resistance to change.[
  • Wandering_1
    Options
    I agree, It would be great if we could form a group of friends & meet up. Let's make that a goal!
  • denisejohnson754365
    Options
    I'm in.....
  • Wandering_1
    Options
    I don't really get the "Minnesota Nice" and haven't made any good friends.

I consider most of my neighbors to be friends but I haven't found and 'good' friends.
    As for the "Minnesota Nice" I admit I got the term from a cute book given to me called "How to Speak Minnesotan" by Howard Mohr. I'm sorry if it confused you.

Oh no that's fine. I think why I get a little worked up is I've been here over 2 years and I've met some people who will say let's get together and then I never here from them again. I'm so tired of doing things alone. If I want to talk it's to my cats. LOL
  • RhymesWithSprite
    RhymesWithSprite Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I'm Nicole and currently live in New Brighton. I've lived here my whole life and have struggled with weight since my tween years.
  • Happily_Chaotic
    Happily_Chaotic Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I know this post is super old, but hello from Brooklyn Park! I am a homeschooling mom of 6 who doesn't know one single person who is interested in healthy lifestyle. As a result, I am struggling like never before. Help me.