Feeling fat!

Options
I need a pep talk I think. I've gained 3 lbs in 7 weeks which I'm
Happy about as I can really see muscle starting to come through and I'm stronger. But today I put on a pair of my pants I wear only in the summer and I couldn't button them! They were altered years ago to fit me and they still fit me until now. Another pair of pants are too tight also! And today my stomach just seems to be pushing out so much and I just feel fat! It sounds ridiculous because I'm only 101lbs but I've never had pants be too tight like this! I started bulking even though I felt I still have body fat to drop. I'm around 25% which I know calipers aren't necessarily accurate but looking at pictures my body type seems to match it. My emotions are telling me to cut for a little just to get this fat down but I really want to keep bulking. I didn't think this would affect me mentally because I was happy to gain!

Replies

• HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Welcome to bulking. These feelings are completely normal and we all went through it. DO NOT STOP. This isn't easy no, but anything worth working for never is. Pretty soon you'll have a damn good day and a PR on a lift possibly and you'll laugh this day off. Keep pushing!
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    That is a completely normal experience. I'm pretty sure we all went through it at one point. Just remember that the fat is temporary and the muscle (if you maintain it) is forever. If the pants aren't buttoning, you're most likely retaining water as it takes mute than three lbs to change sizes. Good luck, you can do this!
  • rf1583
    rf1583 Posts: 65
    Options
    Thanks you guys! You're right I'm probably retaining water since my stomach doesn't normally look so bloated. And the one pair of pants that buttoned but were real right I just wore last week! I'm sticking with it! I just got up to 85lb Deadlift yesterday so I know I'm seeing gains! It really is a roller coaster. I see that now.
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Yup, that is a large part in why bulking is so hard... :flowerforyou:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Welcome to bulking. These feelings are completely normal and we all went through it. DO NOT STOP. This isn't easy no, but anything worth working for never is. Pretty soon you'll have a damn good day and a PR on a lift possibly and you'll laugh this day off. Keep pushing!

true dat.

I have a little mini pep talk at this point for people who are bulking- and it's pretty much this.

You will feel fat- you will be miserable- you will want to quit. Invest in stretchy pants early- but away your skinny jeans- and learn to love stretch dresses and put away the fitted ones.

Commit mentally to doing the thing- you'll have good days and bad days- if you have a SO- make sure they know what you are trying to do (I warn mine- he now laughs- so now you're going to complain about being hungry all the time- and next winter you're going to complain about being fat all the time - do I have this down right??- yes honey- that's exactly the thing- thank you and I love you LOL)

Have a minimum time window- so you can AT least hit that and secure your confidence in sticking it out. I would also recommend really staying on top of measurements and numbers- it's easy to self sabotage over a long term basis (i didn't realize how badly I did till after my bulk and I saw my long term average wasn't nearly as high as I thought). it's hard.

It's normal. You can do it. Stick with it.

The next day is better- especially when it's full of ice cream :D
  • rf1583
    rf1583 Posts: 65
    Options

true dat.

I have a little mini pep talk at this point for people who are bulking- and it's pretty much this.

You will feel fat- you will be miserable- you will want to quit. Invest in stretchy pants early- but away your skinny jeans- and learn to love stretch dresses and put away the fitted ones.

Commit mentally to doing the thing- you'll have good days and bad days- if you have a SO- make sure they know what you are trying to do (I warn mine- he now laughs- so now you're going to complain about being hungry all the time- and next winter you're going to complain about being fat all the time - do I have this down right??- yes honey- that's exactly the thing- thank you and I love you LOL)

Have a minimum time window- so you can AT least hit that and secure your confidence in sticking it out. I would also recommend really staying on top of measurements and numbers- it's easy to self sabotage over a long term basis (i didn't realize how badly I did till after my bulk and I saw my long term average wasn't nearly as high as I thought). it's hard.

It's normal. You can do it. Stick with it.

The next day is better- especially when it's full of ice cream :D

Thanks for this! My husband actually is doing this with me except he's losing weight first. He complains of being hungry and I have these feel fat days. He supports me too though and assures me I'm not fat haha. Today I didn't feel fat so I see how it's these ups and downs. Right now I'm looking at August as my time frame. That'll give me 5 months of bulking. I'll see where I'm at then but you're right in that having that short term goal helps make it easy to keep going. I just wish I had gotten into all this during the winter so I wasn't bulking all summer! Oh well. Thanks You guys are awesome!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    yeah bulking in the winter is definitely a win- saves from cutting over the holidays and saves from feeling bad in a bikini if you go out much- and winter clothes are more flexible for hiding/being more fluffy.

Glad you are having a better day today!!! :)