OT - fur baby is old and it's time

Options
justinskitty
justinskitty Posts: 47 Member
My Henry will be 14 on Thursday. He's at the point where he can't walk very well and falls over a lot since his back legs just don't work well. He gets lost in the house he has lived in for 10 years. He has very little interest in food. He has been eating people food for a year now because he refused to eat dog food. He turned his nose up at bacon and eggs yesterday and stew meat and veggies. We are taking him Saturday. He has been mine for 14 years. I have done everything for him and he has done even more for me. He took care of me. When I lived alone he was all that I had. He is my first baby and I have been crying all day after finally realizing the time has come. I knew I would know when it was time but it doesn't make it any easier. My heart is breaking.

Replies

• sunflower92630
    sunflower92630 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm soooo sorry to hear that! Fur babies are always hard to let go of but it is better than them getting to the point of pain. Your fur baby will be waiting for you at the Rainbow Bridge!

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
    When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
    They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...
  • jls8209
    jls8209 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear you are going through this. In March I had to put down my nearly 15 year old cat (2 weeks shy of his birthday), and it while it was really hard to do, it was time. He had been sick/treated for congestive heart failure for 10 months, and we were surprised he did so well with it for as long as he did. His final days, while not exactly unexpected given his diagnosis last year, did come suddenly to us. He was fine on Thursday night, by Friday night it was clear we needed to at least have him looked at, and when we were at the vet Saturday morning the initial treatments that had previously worked didn't help and he was declining in front of us. We discussed every option with the vet, and then made the decision to have him euthanized. Just like your dog, my cat was my first "baby", saw me through many rough times, and was an awesome little buddy. It was tough to go through, and even 2.5 months later I still get sad and teary eyed thinking about him. Just remember that he's had a good life, and it's better to let him go now than have him suffer in pain. :flowerforyou:
  • justinskitty
    Options
    Thank you both for your kind words. We have had a change since we decided on Tuesday. Today was his birthday and he actually had a good day. He ate his banana bread I made for his bday. He also ate some cereal and biscuits so things are looking up for now. He has also not fallen all day. He was super happy to be able to go outside with my husband while he smoked. That's their special bonding time where they just stand together on the deck. It's pretty cute. I can't help but hold on to hope. I need too.
  • justinskitty
    Options
    His birthday was a good day. The rest were not. We took him last Monday. Today we brought him home in a box. I miss him so much. He slept right next to my bed and every night I would spend time petting him and loving on him. That spot is now empty. He was mine. I know it was the right thing to do but it was never what I wanted to do. I want him to be with me forever and not hurt. I miss my sassy guy who knew what he wanted and let me know. So the boss but he was worth it. 14 years of my life filled with so much joy and love. I am thankful for the time I had with him. He will always be in my heart.
  • Binky_Muffin
    Binky_Muffin Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry. Our animals are so special. So special in fact, that they only stay with us for a short time. It's tough seeing them get old so fast.

You did the right thing by ending his suffering. You gave him a good life.