Check In May 14, 2014

Options
KarenZen
KarenZen Posts: 1,430 Member
Good morning, and happy hump day!

Here's a conversation starter that's on the light side--what's your favorite salad to throw together?

I love a good shopska--cucumber and tomato, finely grated feta, drizzled with balsamic vinaigrette. Yum.

Replies

• AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Good morning.
    I like Cobb salad with blue cheese dressing, eggs, bacon, and chicken...or taco salad without the shell.
  • julieworley376
    julieworley376 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I pretty much make the same salad for everyday. Lettuce, onion, peppers (the sweet baby ones are particularly good and colorful), cucumber. This forms the base, then my husband likes green stuffed olives added and I like cherry tomatoes, grapes or strawberries and avocado.
  • NorahCait
    NorahCait Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Yum! Karen, that's one of my favorite salads, though I normally add red onion and top it with with red wine vinegar, pepper, a little salt, and maybe a little olive oil.

I make a lot of salads with spinach, arugula, cucumber, red peppers, shaved carrots, and a dressing I make with apple cider vinegar, stone ground mustard, olive oil, and various herbs. Sometimes I add tuna, and I add a lot of dill to the dressing when I do that.
  • BodyByChipsAhoy
    BodyByChipsAhoy Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I love Cobb salad!
    This is my 2nd week of doing only salads for lunch and I have had basically the same thing:

Greens (spinach and baby kale are my faves), tomato, avocado, chicken, cheese, ff ranch dressing. Sometimes I will add croutons, sometimes not.

I love seeing the salad ideas you all have--I'm always looking for something new!

~Becky
  • kaliya89
    kaliya89 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Lettuce, cucumbers, carrots, jicama and sometimes chickpeas - tossed in this "Better than Ranch" dressing I found online that is actually true to its name (and much lower in calories than actual ranch dressing). Sometimes I toss the chickpeas in some hot sauce to spice things up a bit.

Here's the salad dressing (if anyone's curious):
    http://healthyblenderrecipes.com/recipes/evas_raw_vegan_better_than_ranch_dressing
  • KarenZen
    Options
    These all sound so good... definitely a salad day today for me!

I also love chopped cucumber and tomato, a can of black beans (rinsed), and avocado. Finely chop fresh cilantro, then toss salad with cilantro and a tiny bit of olive oil and lemon juice. Great fresh flavor.
  • KarenZen
    Options
    Lettuce, cucumbers, carrots, jicama and sometimes chickpeas - tossed in this "Better than Ranch" dressing I found online that is actually true to its name (and much lower in calories than actual ranch dressing). Sometimes I toss the chickpeas in some hot sauce to spice things up a bit.

Here's the salad dressing (if anyone's curious):
    http://healthyblenderrecipes.com/recipes/evas_raw_vegan_better_than_ranch_dressing

Jicama? I keep meaning to try this... what does it taste like?
  • catladyksa
    catladyksa Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    My quick throw together salad is made of : Rocket leaves, baby spinach leaves, pine nuts (20 pieces), 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese, thin sliced red onions, sliced black olives and light ranch dressing.

Thanks Kallya89 for the link. I am also looking for a recipe for a creamy balsamic vinegar dressing!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I'm kinda boring as far as salads go: mixed greens, tomatoes, a bit of cheese, a meat protein, cucumbers, sometimes bell peppers and mushrooms (usually not), dressing (I still can't get used to the super healthy stuff like oil and vinegar), if I haven't already had eggs for the day maybe an egg or two, and if I have the calories/carbs, a few croutons...

My better "salad" type food though is a semi-healthy-ish version of deviled eggs. I take two hard boiled eggs, one-two wedges laughing cow light swiss, mustard to taste (usually around a tablespoon, but I love super mustardy eggs), splash lime juice, dusting of paprika. These are better than the real thing once you figure out your preferred ratio! I tried using yogurt to add that creaminess, and it was an abject failure!

Also, for tuna salad (I imagine this would work for chicken salad, too, though I'm not a big fan of it), pouch of tuna, relish (sweet or dill, to taste), 3 or more tablespoons of unsweetened plain yogurt (in place of mayo or miracle whip-add a packet of your favorite sweetener if you prefer miracle whip, to taste), and then any veg you like - I liked quartered cherry tomatoes and bell peppers (sometimes I'll tear up some fresh spinach to toss in too). Stuff this all in a pita/mini pita (or on lettuce leaves if watching carbs) and you have less than a 300 calorie lunch, depending on the relish and such. Very filling, ups the protein, just watch the sodium! If you opt for the lower sodium tuna pouch, you're better off...it is amazing how much sodium is in those silly things!

I love a good chicken caesar salad, but haven't tried tweaking the dressing to make it edible/healthier yet (figured you could use yogurt like the ranch modifications), or tried the spray caesar yet.... I'll see if I remember any more ideas!
  • claudie08
    claudie08 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I have a few that I love:

- Roasted beets tossed with light balsamic vinegar dressing, baby arugula (or spring mix greens) and goat cheese (feta or blue cheese works just as well)
    - Leafy greens, good season’s Italian dressing (or any light Italian dressing) and mandarin oranges.
    - Greek salad. Optional to top with grilled chicken or whatever protein you like

Sometimes I just make a quick and simple salad of leafy greens, any light dressing and some fruit (apple, pear or strawberries). So simple, but very good.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I just cannot get into fruit in a salad. Tomatoes are about my limit there. No strawberries, oranges, or other fruit... How do y'all do that? But I'm also kind of strange about not mixing sweet and savory very often... Is that related, do you think? Or maybe I just like to savor my fruits stand-alone? I also don't do sweetened nuts in salad.... Am I weird?
  • lindabeth333
    lindabeth333 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I have been making a lot of greek salad lately with tomato, cucumber, onion, lettuce, feta, thai basil (1 oz) and kalamata olives (4-6 as they have a lot of calories) I just splash some seasoned rice wine vinegar and add a T. of hummus for extra protein. Yum - Theres my lunch for today!
  • kaliya89
    kaliya89 Posts: 61 Member
    Options

It tastes sort of like an apple without the sweetness, if that makes any sense. Like an apple and a potato had a baby. Really, as long as it's sort of juicy and not super hard, I don't really notice a flavor. I mostly like it because it adds a nice crunch. Sorry, I'm really bad at describing flavors! :smile:
  • AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    Options

It tastes sort of like an apple without the sweetness, if that makes any sense. Like an apple and a potato had a baby. Really, as long as it's sort of juicy and not super hard, I don't really notice a flavor. I mostly like it because it adds a nice crunch. Sorry, I'm really bad at describing flavors! :smile:

Is it like water chestnut? That sounds like water chestnut's taste.
  • PatrickB_87
    PatrickB_87 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I just cannot get into fruit in a salad. Tomatoes are about my limit there. No strawberries, oranges, or other fruit... How do y'all do that? But I'm also kind of strange about not mixing sweet and savory very often... Is that related, do you think? Or maybe I just like to savor my fruits stand-alone? I also don't do sweetened nuts in salad.... Am I weird?

Fruit on salad is about the only type of salad I eat. I'm not a fan of certain vegetables prepared raw and in salad: tomato, onion, pepper or mushrooms. None of theses are delicate flavors that i like. I don't mind carrot or cucumber depending on how they re prepared. I also hate salad dressings (most of them), so I don't eat them with any dressing.

Like most of you I have a salad for lunch, usually with my protein on the side. My salad is usually 3-4cups of baby spring mix with spinach (not a fan of bitter or spicy leafy greens). Toped with a variety of seasonal fruits. Apple and pear, peach, peach and strawberry, strawberry, blackberries and raspberries. You get the idea. I add enough fruit so that each fork full can have a piece of fruit on it. It's how I get my fruit in each day.

Once we are back in winter I will probably go back to more traditional salads.

Sure does make going out for a salad difficult, as no restaurant or salad bar seems to deem fruit and expectable salad toping.
  • julieworley376
    julieworley376 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    First no you are not weird. It's a matter of taste and I do find the American palate seems to like sweet and savory mixed more than us Brits do.. it's a habit I have caught.

Just wanted to pop in and say I am enjoying my morning break. I bought a box of Hyson's Mixed Fruit tea at the weekend and I just made myself a cup.. I took one sip and said aloud.. oh wow is that good! I also have some sultana bread and butter and some fruit.. I feel thoroughly spoiled!
  • artelyn
    artelyn Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Knitormiss I am totally on board with you as to fruit in a salad. I just can't wrap my brain around it! So in my opinion...no way are you weird! lol

I'm a boring salad girl. Romaine and iceberg lettuces, cucumbers, a little cheese, a little chicken or tuna, a few carrot sticks, and then some wonton strips. I found a good balsamic vin dressing that is only 60 cals for 2 T! So that is my new fav. I can't do dry salad. My favorite is blue cheese dressing, but I am not wasting my cals on that!
  • blondageh
    blondageh Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Fruit on a salad is good but only the right mix for me. Has to be on dark leafy greens with chicken, strawberries, raisins, almonds or pine nuts with some raspberry vinaigrette oh and some feta. Yum! I am big on chef salad. Lately I am obsessed with Olive Gardens lite Italian dressing. You can get that in the store now! I also eat a lot of tuna. Just put a tuna packet on greens with a little dressing and maybe an egg, cucumber or snap peas.
  • tkngcntrl
    tkngcntrl Posts: 5
    Options
    Newbie here ! All of your salad ideas sound yum! I try to eat a salad at lunch, but get burnt out of them - my fave is a broccoli slaw salad, chicken, cilantro, a few peanuts, lime,
  • marz31
    marz31 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    my normal salad that I love is lettuce (whatever I buy, doesn't make a difference to me), some bacon bits, lemon juice, grilled chicken with some buffalo wing sauce on it, a handful of those yummy fried onions (not too many, for various reasons! LOL) and that's it. I don't like cheese or dressings, so that's my salad!

I enjoy a chop salad (without the cheese) too. That's what we get at the local pizza place we frequent.